Accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #61
VladMordock

Flappie thanks for all the great input to the community, your map is great (using with CF) and now webmaps looks to be another great addition for sim fans.

There is tons of useful data that can be added to the map, but I'd like to ask for some kind of simple ruler to measure distance and heading as things with the higher priority. Distance is covered, please think about adding simple measurement of the track/headings. With that VFR flight planing would be much, much easier.

Thank you in advance for consideration of this feature request!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #62
Flappie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladMordock View Post
Flappie thanks for all the great input to the community, your map is great (using with CF) and now webmaps looks to be another great addition for sim fans.

There is tons of useful data that can be added to the map, but I'd like to ask for some kind of simple ruler to measure distance and heading as things with the higher priority. Distance is covered, please think about adding simple measurement of the track/headings. With that VFR flight planing would be much, much easier.

Thank you in advance for consideration of this feature request!
Hey, thank you for your support! This feature is already on my TODO list.
Here it is:

1. Add beacons (imminent)
2. Add landmarks (need to split data into two different layers - landmarks should be online within a week)
3. Add heading to measurement tool (I also plan to add a list of waypoints, but I'm a crappy programmer, so bear with me)
4. Add peaks
5. Add Maximum Elevation Figures
Flappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #63
Project Dynamism

Hi Flappy,

Following your mapping thread since the beginning. Great effort you have put so far.
What a stunning new development. I am walking the same road as you, working currently on a web app and exporting scenery objects as well as grouping them e.g to factory complexes.
See Project Dynamism - Persistence and Dynamic Content Creation Framework for DCS World

In my case they are targets for dynamically created missions and damage persistence.
  • bridges
  • factories with smokestacks
  • communication towers
  • weather radars
  • oil platforms and pumps

For exporting points of interest in any DCS map I am using DCS Witchcraft and a custom LUA script to search for scenery objects. It creates GeoJSON format with X/Y/Z and Lat/Lon corrdinates.
Interesting objects you can find by inspecting the ZIP files in <DCS_Installation_Folder>\Mods\terrains\<terrain>\Models\
Code:
e.g.
\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Models\BlockBuildings\BlockBuildings.preview.zip
\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Models\CaucasusAFBbuildings_new\CaucasusAFBbuildings_new.preview.zip

If you are interested I can provide you the script and instructions how to get DCS Witchcraft working.
It should then be straightforward to automatically listing ingame navaids like towers, stadiums, bridges, smokestacks, remarkable buildings, etc.

BTW: In map #60 How did you get the oil derriks (the illuminated towers) exported? I can only get the pumps.
The derriks themselves seem somehow exist only in a hidden state (even AI can not attack them properly)
Project Dynamism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:12 PM   #64
Flappie

Hi, and thank you for the offer! I would be very happy to use your magic to retrieve all interesting buildings. Please, teach me your ways, Sensei!

So, you want to know my little secret to locate all the derricks, uh? Simple! Since I had no solution to my problem, I "simply" followed an AI Viggen flying all over the map, and I spotted the buildings of interest with my own eyes, in F2 view. It took me around 3 days. Then I put a unit in the middle of all these buildings in the ME, and I retrieved their coordinates thanks to a MOOSE script.

You'll find my list with coordinates attached to the present post, derricks included. I'm pretty sure all derricks are in there, because they are visible from far away in the game. And I'm also pretty sure I'm missing a few buildings of interest (mostly stadiums).

PS: Your project rocks! I'll have a look.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Navaid_Coordinates_8may2020v4.zip (3.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #65
Flappie

Beacons have been added to the webmap.
Don't forget to zoom-in if you want them to appear.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #66
Project Dynamism

Hi Flappie,

Let me introduce you to the magical world of automation then

1) First you need DCS Witchcraft and integrate it into DCS World
- Original project see https://jboecker.github.io/dcs-witchcraft/
- Original download + instructions see https://github.com/jboecker/dcs-witchcraft
- Problem is the included NodeJS version. Needs to be replaced by newer one, see: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...52#post4199952

2) Then set up and run a "Witchcraft enabled" mission in DCS and connect to it via http://localhost:3000/console.html

3) Fire the following script in the Witchcraft LUA Console while the mission is unpaused... might take a time... especially for first execution
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-- scenery object as GeoJSON
-------------------------------------------------------------------
local foundUnits = {}	 
local volS = {id = world.VolumeType.SPHERE,params = {point = {x = 0,y = 0,z = 0},radius = 2000000000}}
local ifFound = function(foundItem, val)
    if string.match(foundItem:getTypeName(), 'METEOBURO') then
		local point = foundItem:getPoint()
		local lat,lon,alt = coord.LOtoLL(point)
        local entry = {
			type = 'Feature',
			geometry = {
				type = 'Point',
				coordinates = { lon, lat }
			},
			properties = {
				uid = foundItem.id_,
				type = foundItem:getTypeName(),
				location = {
					x = point.z,
					y = point.x,
					z = point.y
				}
			}
    	}
    	foundUnits[#foundUnits + 1] = entry
    end
end

world.searchObjects(Object.Category.SCENERY, volS, ifFound)

return foundUnits
4) The result is a GeoJSON (minus some header and footer).
- Copy paste the result into
Code:
{
    "type": "FeatureCollection",
    "features": 
         <copy_Witchcraft_output_here>
}
- Now you can paste the whole thing here for a nice map view: http://www.geojsonlint.com/

Thats it!

Important for your scenery object search is the "TypeName".
For the example here I use "METEOBURO" which is some kind of weather radar with round cupola on a stone tower.
Many more interesting objects with thumbnail picture and type name you get from the \Mods\terrains\<terrain>\Models\ folder mentioned in the post before.

To get you easier started I packaged all together in a ZIP you can download here:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/bd8...3152259/3beaad
30 MB, link valid for 7 days
- put "witchcraft.lua" into your DCS user files directory something like C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts
- adapt "MissionScripting.lua" in your DCS installation folder something like C:\Games\DCS World 2\Scripts to match the one in the ZIP (Attention, your DCS installation is now vulnerable to malicious missionscripts, see Witchcraft documentation)
- start DCS and run the contained mission Witchcraft_CAU.miz (if you trust me , it basically only contains MIST library and the trigger to connect to Witchcraft)
- put "DCS Witchcraft" folder wherever you want. Run the "witchcraft.cmd" in the "windows" subfolder. Once DCS is connected you can open your browser to http://localhost:3000/console.html and the Witchcraft LUA console should appear...

Have fun!
Project Dynamism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #67
Flappie

Great, thanks a bunch!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #68
Flappie

Do any of you find any use in the DME/VOR/TACAN frequencies ? (in blue below). I plan to remove those to only show channels and short name.

Example :
VOR Tbilissi = 113.7 MHz TB Ch 84
DME Mozdok = 820 MHz MZ Ch 20
TACAN Batumi = 135.90 MHz BTM Ch 16
Old 05-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #69
Holton181

At least for the helicopters there is no channel numbering that correspond to the official channel numbers you propose, only some equipment with channels from say 1 to 10 wher the frequencies are set in ME. So to me it would be nice to have the frequencies avaliable for the other equipment with manual frequency settings.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #70
Flappie

Alright, sir. All beacons will then be displayed as:

Frequency Channel Callsign (and maybe some day, Morse code)

VOR Tbilissi = 113.7 Ch 84 TB
DME Mozdok = 820.0 Ch 20 MZ
TACAN Batumi = 135.9 Ch 16 BT

Is that OK?