DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

Ohhh that's where "50 cal bounce up and kill Tiger Tank" comes from haha awesome (33+ minutes)

Otherswise very nice video, love the P47.

Haven't yet watched the documentary, but I recently read Hell Hawks, a kinda lightweight history of some P-47s before and after D-Day. In one interview, a Jug pilot said they attempted to ricochet bullets into the underside of a tank, but it didn't appear to have any effect. He did say they neutralized one Tiger with .50 fire by diving vertically and focusing fire on the engine vents, after which the engine smoked and the tank came to a halt. Once. It was far from common.

On the other hand, the book records several eye-witness accounts of flipping Tigers over by dropping delayed-fuse bombs immediately next to them. The bombs would imbed themselves a few feet underground before exploding, thus directing all the force upward. Imagine a bomb going off effectively underneath the Tiger's treads like a 1000 pound anti-tank mine. It'll lift the tank, sure thing.

So that's where the ridiculous stories of flipping tanks with machine guns come from; a confusion of separate stories like these.

He did say they neutralized one Tiger with .50 fire by diving vertically and focusing fire on the engine vents, after which the engine smoked and the tank came to a halt.

There was a thread some time ago, where somebody posted a picture of field improvised vent covers for the tanks. Apparently hot pieces of led would fall down the vents and ignite the filters or something like that.

To a 20 something pilot shooting at a tank, it might seem like the ricocheting worked.

One of the things that stuck with me after watching that documentary was the radar controlled flak guns. I knew radar was a technology coming into its own towards the end of the war.... And I knew about the night fighters being developed with radar.... But I had no idea they had radar controlled flak guns.

I like the pilots description of the radar controlled flak guns at 25:50. How the radar waves would bleed over into the pilot's radio headsets.

I hope they develop this into the game. Instead of "lock on" tones it would be more of a static sound.

I'm reading "Hell Hawks!" Right now. What makes this book even more impressive is reading it after reading "56th Fighter Group."

In "56th Fighter Group" flying a Jug below 15,000 feet was described as almost a death sentence... I started reading "Hell Hawks!" And was astonished. Here these P-47's are, flying low over the hills... far below 15k... When they got jumped by FW-190's! I thought they were done for... But they were able to not only fend them off.. But usually win, and chase off the remaining planes.

I think this has to do with the difference in P-47 models. The 56th FG flew P-47C's early in the war... As it was developed it fixed a lot of its shortcomings.

Thankfully the P-47 in DCS WWII will be the P-47D-28. The "paddle prop" was standard on this model and it's climb rate was vastly improved over the older models.

Can't wait either! I just hope that by then, they have altered the FM such that the aircraft doesn't feel like you're riding on an air hockey puck when taxiing. :mad: These machines are heavy and do not handle like this in real life! Even my little RV-8 doesn't handle as erratically as the P-51 does in this sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

According to the update the model may have been changed to the 30 block instead of the proposed 28 block. I'm not sure if the was just a typo or what.

It'll be interesting to see if they did indeed change it to the 30 block. It would make since as I believe the P-47D-30 was the single most produced block. It was also the first P-47 model to include "dive flaps."

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE: "Any other fans of the P-47 out there?"

There is at least one other guy awaiting a P-47 :)

I favor the P-47 D23 the last Razorback model built before they moved to the bubble canopy

with following models.

The sturdy P-47 is the plane to have, stable, versatile, bullet proof to some degree and just a beauty to look at...at least in my eyes haha

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I noticed that the planned campaign for the P-47 is a ground attack campaign. Again and again, I can't emphasis this enough, the P-47 was first a fighter. It took up ground attack after it had already shot down most of the Luftwaffe!

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• ED Team
I noticed that the planned campaign for the P-47 is a ground attack campaign. Again and again, I can't emphasis this enough, the P-47 was first a fighter. It took up ground attack after it had already shot down most of the Luftwaffe!

Well if they are trying to fit into their time frame of 1944 (the later half), doesnt ground attack make sense? That said, I am sure the campaign will have some A2A as well... its not out of the realm of believability that they might run into fighters on these missions...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

You can back up that statement with facts?

You can back up that statement with facts?

Ok, yes, a bit of hyperbole in my comment, but you seem like you're just trying to start an argument. I'm not going to play, sorry.:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I can't emphasis this enough, the P-47 was first a fighter. It took up ground attack after it had already shot down most of the Luftwaffe!

This is why I love the P-47 and wish it got the credit it deserves! The P-47 (along with the B-17) broke the Luftwaffe's back flying against their best aces and their best aircraft. The P-47 fought the good fight.

However... If DCS makes a "Hell Hawks" campaign I guess I'll forgive them! :thumbup: