Multiplayer in 2.5 - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #31
[Maverick]
ED Testers Team

Reputation power: 37
[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all[Maverick] is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
But I cannot resist to be a tiny bit of a wiseass. According to wags there are ~150 employees working on DCS by now. If only 10 of them would be dedicated to developing MP, we would see much more progress in MP-experience, and I think it is quite safe to assume that 9/10 people giving MP a single try will never return to MP again (which alone would result in a 9:1 SP:MP ratio).
Multiplayer has come a long way since the first DCS days with FC3 added, we used to only be able to host 16 clients in our server!
Now we have several very highly populated servers that all see 30+ clients every day at some time around the clock.

While MP in DCS can be frustrating it's not all doom and gloom,especially recently, I live stream a lot of my flights now and the evidence is there for anyone to see. I fly for hours without regular interruption, there are still stability issues but it's far from a lost cause and I certainly don't agree at all with your view on 9/10 people will never come back to DCS MP after trying it once.

Yes stability is something that has plagued us for years but positive things are happening behind the scenes for MP.
Despite what many people think, MP issues do get a lot of attention from the development team, if you read the change logs as updates come out you will always see MP fixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
How many times have you started your aircraft, done your preflight planning while the INS was warming up (if enabled), took off and flew 15-45mins (I love helos) towards your Target and then landed in the lobby or desktop or just experienced a hard freeze or lag-freeze which leads to ground impact? (helos once again). I have stopped counting and it's been more than 50% of the times for me, significantly more in a subjective perception which counts more than hard numbers. I stand the strong opinion that a proper MP experience is miles ahead of a SP experience especially in an environment as awesome as DCS, especially when frustration level is kept low, which sorry - speak up if you disagree - is the part where DCS fails the most and most spectacularly and for an unbelievably long time.

Whats your opinion about this Maverick?
My opinion on your opinions (lel) are that they are on the extreme end of the scale, there is no question that DCS MP is growing, no question at all.
Every month more and more people are getting online and more Squadrons are starting. Yes stability is still an issue but we are seeing positive steps being taken.

The 2.5 memory issue has left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths but at the other end of the scale there are users who are not having any issues and literally fly for 4+ hours without interruption.

We are seeing regular hot fix updates for 2.5 and the memory issue is getting a lot of attention and will hopefully be fully dealt with soon.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, 2018 is shaping up to be an incredible year for DCS so I wouldn't get off the train just yet.

Despite some hick ups there really is genuine promise for long running stable MP missions, the test team is working with all major server hosts within the community to try and identify the causes of the transport.dll crashes and others.

Just keep a little faith and it will go a long way. I'm still here and I've been here for more than 8 years now and there are many more people that have been around way longer than I have!
You said it yourself, nothing comes close to DCS MP when it's working. That's why we have all stuck around.

This has not gone unnoticed, there is a lot of love for MP, people just don't get to see it because it happens behind closed doors. It's not the shunned project that some people think it is, it's one of those things that is much more complicated than most people would think it is, so making seemingly 'simple' fixes is not actually an easy task.

Things are 100% getting better, I've been exposed to DCS MP logs on a daily basis for the past 6 years as an admin on the 104th so I can vouch first hand that we are seeing improvements!

Keep the faith!

Soon™

104th Phoenix Squadron Leader / Total Poser

"Dammit Jim, I'm a Squadron Leader, not a software developer!"

www.104thPhoenix.com
www.facebook.com/104thPhoenix
104th F-15C Skin
My YouTube Channel
[Maverick] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #32
Dwarf_Hunter

Reputation power: 0
Dwarf_Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I would play MP on line all day if I can find a descent server wich allows me to use my own controller settings as well. Now I dont even border te look any more :-(
Dwarf_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote