[Open Beta 2.5] Kobuleti NDBs without function

Sauerkraut

Here is the track.

Additionally I chose the NDB Gali (525kHz), which worked.

It's a mission running on a server. In the track she was played offline as SP. The error sometimes also occurs in the quick start mission.

Edit:

To rule out that it is up to the mission, here again a quick start mission. As a reference, the NDB Gali was taken again and then the Kutasi NDB.

l39_ndb.trk

l39_ndb_2.trk

Edited by Sauerkraut

• ED Team
Here is the track.

Additionally I chose the NDB Gali (525kHz), which worked.

It's a mission running on a server. In the track she was played offline as SP. The error sometimes also occurs in the quick start mission.

Edit:

To rule out that it is up to the mission, here again a quick start mission. As a reference, the NDB Gali was taken again and then the Kutasi NDB.

Not a bug. It caused by wind direction in the missions. Marker beacons/NDBs are enabled only for operational RWY. In your tracks wind directed to NE so RWY 07 is not in use.

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.

Not a bug. It caused by wind direction in the missions. Marker beacons/NDBs are enabled only for operational RWY. In your tracks wind directed to NE so RWY 07 is not in use.

This is incorrect, the NDB's should be active/detected.

Wind is set as 2 m/s (4 kts) TOWARDS 270° and both Sanaki (09) and Kobuleti (07) are active runways (confirmed by contacting ATC, taxi to RWY 07, Wind 3m/s FROM 090 and the direction of the smoke stacks in the OP's track).

Yet I can't receive their NDB's (in a mission converted from the submitted track) but Gali (525kHz) works.

The mission uses - MiST, MOOSE, a range script and 476th Range Objects, so isn't 'clean' but I have yet to identify the issue/source, as my own missions/tests don't show the same behaviour using the same date/time and 476th Range Objects.

Tested in DCS 2.5.0.14304

L39_2_5_NDB_Wind_from_East_to_the_west_Screen_180221_133434.jpg.6c5b551f60a1819a203c3b8fef2be941.jpg

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Try to test with zero wind.

Only had time to edit my test mission and spawn a L-39ZA at Kobuleti with zero wind - the Outer Marker (870 kHz) was working.

Next stage is to test the NDB's with another module to confirm it's a DCS problem rather than module specific.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I still don't see any problem. Could you explain?

• The NDB's change depending on the magnitude of the wind and don't take wind direction into account.

Hence, although RWY 07 at Kobuleti is active with 2 m/s wind towards 270°, the NDB's for RWY 07 have deactivated.

The easiest place to test is Krymsk, as it has PRGM and NDB's for both directions.

L-39ZA Runway Start, Krymsk

Wind 0 m/s

ATC (default?) RWY 04, RSBN ahead, Active NDB's behind (correct)

Wind 2 m/s towards 220° True, Headwind

ATC RWY 04, RSBN ahead, Active NDB's in front (wrong)

Wind 2 m/s towards 040° True, Headwind (Spawns at the opposite end of the runway)

ATC RWY 22, RSBN ahead, Active NDB's behind (correct)

Tested in DCS 2.5.0.14304

attachment.php?attachmentid=179630&stc=1&d=1519267834

133638515_L-39ZADCS2_5WrongNDBsActive.thumb.jpg.7ef5a672d53730eacbd984043a753ec0.jpg

Edited by Ramsay
Add Krymsk diagram

Thank you very much for your effort.

In reality, the NDB is also switched off when the runway is not active?

That would be a (in my eyes) pretty stupid "feature". The modules that can only NDB naviagtion would then degraded yes to fair weather aircraft. What does an NDB help me with, which is not active?

Could you include this important aspect in the manuals? There is currently described the NDBs as permanently functional.

In reality, the NDB is also switched off when the runway is not active?

Yes, like an ILS, Inner/Outer Markers are turned on for the 'active' runway to provide a non-precision NDB approach and/or act as ILS 'markers' to confirm geographic position.

If the 'main' runway isn't the active, ATC don't want aircraft getting confused and using the ILS and/or inner/outer makers (NDB's) to approach from the 'wrong' direction.

Where there are 2 pairs of markers/NDB's (i.e. Krymsk), they often share frequencies (but not Morse code ID's) and only the pair for the active runway will be turned on. If using one of these inner/outer markers for NDB navigation, you'll need to be especially careful and take note of it's Morse ID - as it may not be the NDB you expect.

That would be a (in my eyes) pretty stupid "feature". The modules that can only NDB navigation would then degraded yes to fair weather aircraft.

If the main runway is closed, you will need to divert to another airport or navigate/land visually, perhaps with the help of ATC radar guidance (F10 map or player CGI?)

What does an NDB help me with, which is not active?

Some NDB's are used for enroute navigation - they are permanently turned on i.e. Smolenskaya (662), Batumi (430), Gali (525), etc.

There is a list here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1514742/

Edited by Ramsay