P-51 wing textures - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #21
BuzzU

Not only lighter by not painting, but it also speeded up production.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #22
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

OK, this question has been bothering me for a while, and I spent the last week researching the topic and trying to come upd with something realistic.

My P-51 skins were wrong in a way that the aluminum parts weren't set to fully metallic in the green channel of the roughmet file. I corrected it, then adjusted the roughness to look realistic. This is also where the stock skins are wrong: They look so polished that they are almost black.

Second mistake from my part: I didn't know most parts of the wings were painted with DuPont aluminum lacquer., then polished. The stock skins have this detail, but I think they have it wrong. They set these parts to fully non-metallic (dielectric), that's why there is so much contrast between the trailing edge and the wings. They look nothing like in the pictures. Why?

1) This aluminum lacquer has very metallic properties, although less than bare metal.

2) It got rubbed off and faded over time, so it didn't look like the Mustangs at the airshows either.

So I tried to come up with something that looks less metallic than aluminum, but there's still not much contrast, depending on lighting conditions.

I'm still fine tuning this skin, but once I'm happy, I'm going to update all my skins (which is going to take AGES)

Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #23
DD_Fenrir

IMHO Reflected, your DCS skins are the best representations (with Bo_Nidle a close 2nd) of the prototypical slightly patina'd natural aluminium finish that seems representative of period warbirds, and whilst in reality the wings were finished in silver paint and well lacquered, most pictures I've inspected of operational Mustangs seem to show a very similar specularity between the wings and the slightly oxidised metal of the fuselage - on your currently available skins it really isn't an issue. they're bloody marvelous and I don't climb into the DCS Pony without wearing one!

As for the default skins.... they are something of a mess. I agree the wings look like flat grey primer and the reflectivity of the metal parts is wholly overdone; complete disharmony of finish.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #24
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Thank you Fenrir! I hope you’ll like the new ones even more
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote