Process for creating maps - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 04:00 AM   #11
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 100
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Hmmm,
There's a chicken and egg scenario here i'm interested in Sith. I've personally been able to do anything I set my mind to, but I'm unsure what skills are required in order to demonstrate a proficiency, if that's what's required. Is this license agreement only availble if you intend to market your work? I've modelled, textured I can find elevation data, what are ED looking for precisely to go down that route?
Even without the ability to build a map into the sim, you can show what you can do, showing your ability to create a terrain in something like 3D Studio, textured, your ability to acquire quality elevation data, etc.

If you have built maps for other sims, that maybe a plus. Things like that.

Much like aircraft modules, this will be a steep learning curve. The tools are challenging, and still in active development as new terrain tech is already being looked at.

I'll ask Matt if there is an updated statement as far as map teams go.

SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
signalman
Veteran

Reputation power: 49
signalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to allsignalman is a name known to all

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAa...=dd&shelf_id=0
* — Популярное заблуждение, что две недели — это 14 дней. Это не так. Две недели — это 14 дней + «в течение недели» (ибо вторая неделя еще не кончилась) + завтра («один день погоды не сделает»). В особых случаях отсчет «двух недель» начинается со следующего понедельника, так выигрывается еще несколько дней. Если повезет, то в результате выходит месяц срока и опоздание всего на один день («завтра»).
signalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
Pikey

Reputation power: 30
Pikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of light

Whilst creating an object and importing to the game and a plugin I've done several times, the map files aren't an object created in 3DS. The creation of objects has some documentation throughout the years, including an entire sample project given by ED (Wunderluft). However we have nothing for maps, it being completely an unknown since the new terrain format was used. Acquiring elevation meshes at some basic levels is easy, you tend to have to pay for higher levels of detail. The 3D objects are also differently acquired and dealt with in maps as opposed to a static object I can simply import. None of the rules we know already, apply to maps.

What did strike me as quite hefty were the terrain DDS files which there were over 4000 of in Normandy alone. I had to wonder if making smaller squares was a design decision that allows updates to the map after it's been rolled out. I can't see how someone like Starway could retexture them all easily without some kind of batch processing.

TLDR; I think a texture artist could show their work, but there are simply no parrallels to the map creation technically that I can see and it's therefore quite challenging to demonstrate an equivalent skill on a tool that's currently closed source. I would have to wonder if this is deliberate by ED as it's still a development push (lighting methods on textures has changed several times recently) But I'm sure the community would try if it had a clearer path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Even without the ability to build a map into the sim, you can show what you can do, showing your ability to create a terrain in something like 3D Studio, textured, your ability to acquire quality elevation data, etc.

If you have built maps for other sims, that maybe a plus. Things like that.

Much like aircraft modules, this will be a steep learning curve. The tools are challenging, and still in active development as new terrain tech is already being looked at.

I'll ask Matt if there is an updated statement as far as map teams go.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 100
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

ED statement on Map Teams:

Quote:
In order to be granted a 3rd party map developer license, you will first need to demonstrate the following:

1- Proficiency in 3DS Max with examples of work.
2- Ability to create quality terrain textures with examples of work. Textures need to range from 1 meter per pixel to 64 meters per pixel.
3- Access to high resolution elevation mesh and satellite textures. Elevation mesh needs to be between 4 to 8 meters per pixel minimum.
4- Ability to create high quality 3D objects with examples of work.
5- A development plan of what you have in mind.

Thanks

SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
Pikey

Pikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of light

I've seen these buddy, they talk alot about objects on the terrain, which we already do as an object like a unit, but there is nothing on taking geo data and starting with a peice of ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalman View Post
Old 06-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
Pikey

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
ED statement on Map Teams:
Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
Weltensegler

Reputation power: 14
Weltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really niceWeltensegler is just really nice

Is there at least a rough briefing or guideline for terrain or what is still actual from the old way of doing terrain? e.g. working in meters, split chunks into X km etc.?

So that we don't have to bother ED before we actually got something on the way?

Cheers

WELD
--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA
--> https://www.twitch.tv/weltensegler

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274
Weltensegler is offline   Reply With Quote