Process for creating maps - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
crudboy12

Reputation power: 1
crudboy12 will become famous soon enoughcrudboy12 will become famous soon enough
Default Process for creating maps

How are maps made for DCS? What tools are used, what is required, ect... I am curious because it seems like not too many maps are being made for this game compared to the amount of aircraft being made. It seems like we would have more by now then just what ED is working on. Frankly the Black Sea map looks like hell, and honestly the auto-gen in x-plane 11 looks better at times. I wish there were third party devs making maps for DCS, and I would love to see Vietnam, Korea, and the middle east/Africa. I have never seen any modded terrains either. I feel like at this point the lack of map variety is the single thing holding DCS back, as we have a collection of the most badass and beautifully created sim aircraft available. I look forwards to Normandy and the Strait of Hormuz, but I would love to be getting more. I know it is probably just fantasy, but having an auto-gen world map like x-plane's would be fantastic. Does anyone know more about this process?

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.
crudboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
cichlidfan
Veteran

Reputation power: 117
cichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to behold

To gain access to the tool set you must first be accepted as a qualified 3rd party. To do that requires a substantial amount of up front work.

That, and the fact that it is a significant undertaking, once you have access to the tools, is why you don't see more maps.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
Paganus

Reputation power: 11
Paganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nicePaganus is just really nice

Your not going to find a step by step anywhere.

There is some limited information out there though. Wags put some videos on his YT a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UuACTw-T8xYEZ9
Paganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
crudboy12

crudboy12 will become famous soon enoughcrudboy12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
To gain access to the tool set you must first be accepted as a qualified 3rd party. To do that requires a substantial amount of up front work.

That, and the fact that it is a significant undertaking, once you have access to the tools, is why you don't see more maps.
Same goes for aircraft, to a degree. I know that the full flight and system modeling of DCS third party aircraft are only available to third party devs. Making a map is far from easy, but I would think it would take less time then re-creating an aircraft to exact specifications. I wish more third parties were interested, for the reasons stated above. Possibly ED isn't willing to give out the toolkit to a third party at the moment, which might explain why we don't see any maps being developed outside of ED. But then again, I know quite little so this is just speculation.

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
crudboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganus View Post
Your not going to find a step by step anywhere.

There is some limited information out there though. Wags put some videos on his YT a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UuACTw-T8xYEZ9
Interesting. These seem to have more to do with the buildings and terrain objects. I wonder if anyone has attempted to improve/modify the Black Sea map other then just the basic re-texture.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
Alf.Snake

Reputation power: 0
Alf.Snake is an unknown quantity at this point

Look man, I looking same to you, I looking for hole airport mod add to every where,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pxKRIuw-58

Last edited by Alf.Snake; 05-30-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Alf.Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Jumbik

Reputation power: 4
Jumbik will become famous soon enoughJumbik will become famous soon enough

It's not that long ago when campaigns were also not possible for 3rd parties without tying it to a release of airplane module. The problem was with content protection and avoiding possible distribution out of ED's hands. ED created a platform where content creators are now protected and have an assurance that they will get something back for their work. Before it was not possible and charging money would be a futile attempt as people would simply share it.

Maps have a bit different problem now. The platform for it is already in works, ED created version 2.0 where maps are treated as modules and thus can be sold separately. But it's still in alpha phase. There are steps that need to happen before it will be possible to allow content creators access. If it will ever get into this phase anyway, maybe it will stay only as an inside thing.

The first step, maybe after 2.5 launch would be creating tools accessible by community for creating maps. No need to tie it to licence, everybody would be able to create maps.

Second step would be creating a QA process where content would undergo testing for those that would like to monetize their creations. This is the biggest part as you would probably not want to see maps that are out of fantasy world and content creators would be forced to stick to the reality. Also everybody who would like to sell their content via ED's shop would have support the product even after the release.

We would then see similar situation as it is now with missions and campaigns. A lot of free content would show up, a lot of it would be just small maps for small scenarios, but we could also see some highly sophisticated creations and it's only natural that it would in time evolve in a payware modules.

ED's has a big chance here. If they will release tools that will be free as is the ingame mission editor, they could only profit from it in the long run. Map creation is a long process which requires a ton of research so I do not worry that it would make any problem with their current business. They can even fish for new members of their team this way.

Last edited by Jumbik; 05-31-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Jumbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 100
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbik View Post

ED's has a big chance here. If they will release tools that will be free as is the ingame mission editor, they could only profit from it in the long run. Map creation is a long process which requires a ton of research so I do not worry that it would make any problem with their current business. They can even fish for new members of their team this way.
Not sure you can compare the map tools to the ME. The tools for map making are quite extensive. If you have the ability and skill to make maps, you can get the tools free through a license agreement.

SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
Pikey

Reputation power: 30
Pikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm,
There's a chicken and egg scenario here i'm interested in Sith. I've personally been able to do anything I set my mind to, but I'm unsure what skills are required in order to demonstrate a proficiency, if that's what's required. Is this license agreement only availble if you intend to market your work? I've modelled, textured I can find elevation data, what are ED looking for precisely to go down that route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Not sure you can compare the map tools to the ME. The tools for map making are quite extensive. If you have the ability and skill to make maps, you can get the tools free through a license agreement.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
joey45
Veteran

Reputation power: 171
joey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud of

A proof of concept with the ability to make the map.
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
RAF Viggens liveries link is in the thread post 19..
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote