Why not more map development? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
Pikey

Reputation power: 30
Pikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of light

It's still a moving target for third parties to hit. It's enough that their existing modules require maintenance after release throughout the changes to DCSW.

And whilst i'm sure it does take time to produce these, once any tool gets out there's a small army waiting to put their combined efforts into it at a production level that's not aiming up to the current fantastic standards. Look at Luckybob and NTTR in its first incarnation, not nearly as long to get something in that could be useful and we never got to try that again.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Boris

Reputation power: 8
Boris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the rough

I would be quite surprised if ED do release a tool to the general public. I highly doubt it.

I suspect any development will most likely be in cooperation with licensed 3rd party dev teams.
PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z87-g45 Mainboard, Intel 4770k clocked to 4500 MHz, MSI 1080 Ti 11G, 16GB 2400 MHz DDR3 RAM, Philips BDM4065UC 4K UHD Screen, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift CV1
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
cichlidfan
Veteran

Reputation power: 115
cichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I would be quite surprised if ED do release a tool to the general public. I highly doubt it.

I suspect any development will most likely be in cooperation with licensed 3rd party dev teams.
That seems likely since that is what they have said, repeatedly.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
Fri13

Reputation power: 11
Fri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the rough

The problem with the map development seems to be the slow process because reality conserns.
Like why not just let buildings and roads be imagination based?

There are lots of free (public domain) height maps from all over the world for commercial use,and lots of can be done when the mapping tools allow autogeneration of urban areas, forests, and even connect roads etc.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
Sryan
Campaign Testers

Sryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really niceSryan is just really nice

Quote:
I remember it has been said they won't. The software required to create terrain is tied with the software used to create modules, and that is pretty much regarded as an industrial secret to them.

With that being said, I also remember they said they would consider a 3rd party application purely for the creation of maps, if that party could prove they have the required skills and talents with a portfolio.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
BlackLion213

Reputation power: 9
BlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really nice

I think ED is taking Maps very seriously and it shows. As BIGNEWY said, there are 3 maps in development in addition to the alpha release of NTTR (the new Caucasus map has all new assets, vegetation, textures, mesh resolution increased by 400% - almost totally new vs current).

But since these DLC maps are a new feature, they need to work out the issues and move in a stepwise fashion. It would be unproductive to create assets for 5 different maps only to realize there is an issue after integration and need to redo everything. Actually, the new lighting system (which uses PBR) has already required Normandy to undergo a rework of all assets and textures.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...0&postcount=64

Also, Leatherneck has confirmed that they are still working on maps with a team devoted more less just to it (and AI, etc).
https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comm...s9c/?context=3
It remains to be seen (and announced) what maps they are working on - though something for the WWII Pacific theater remains highly likely (both Iwo Jima and Okinawa have been mentioned, but not confirmed). There is supposed to be a map for the F-14, but the location and timeframe are still not known.

I also agree that new maps are every bit as important as new aircraft modules since I may enjoy operating my favorite aircraft in a variety of theaters and campaigns instead of learning a new aircraft. But ED has been creating aircraft modules since 2008, but they just started with maps. Not to mention the fact that these maps seem to be colossal projects that take quite a while.

But just the addition of Normandy, NTTR, and the new Caucasus will make DCS feel really different and bring the WWII modules home. All a matter of time....

-Nick
BlackLion213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:22 AM   #17
wilbur81

Reputation power: 10
wilbur81 will become famous soon enoughwilbur81 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

What really is lacking, is more environments and content, such as campaigns and missions, for these aircraft. It's now arguably as or more important than the aircraft themselves.

That begs the question, why do so many 3rd party developers prominently focus their attention on aircraft?
^^^^^ Amen! and +1 to this ^^^^^^
Old 01-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #18
tintifaxl

Reputation power: 14
tintifaxl is a jewel in the roughtintifaxl is a jewel in the roughtintifaxl is a jewel in the roughtintifaxl is a jewel in the roughtintifaxl is a jewel in the roughtintifaxl is a jewel in the roughtintifaxl is a jewel in the roughtintifaxl is a jewel in the rough

It's all about the money. The ROI on plane modules must be better than on maps and campaigns, else there would be more maps and campaigns in the works.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
Boris

Boris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the roughBoris is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
It's all about the money. The ROI on plane modules must be better than on maps and campaigns, else there would be more maps and campaigns in the works.
I highly doubt that ROI is an issue here. Many aircraft modules are quite niche and take many years to produce. Based on a few of the other informed posts, I'd say it actually is a case of it just being too early (ie. the modular map system not being ready).
PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z87-g45 Mainboard, Intel 4770k clocked to 4500 MHz, MSI 1080 Ti 11G, 16GB 2400 MHz DDR3 RAM, Philips BDM4065UC 4K UHD Screen, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift CV1
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #20
Phantom88

Reputation power: 33
Phantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to allPhantom88 is a name known to all

I believe it's because The DCS World Terrain Engine is in a state of Flux.Look how different The Normandy pics and Nevada pics look,It's a constant moving target.

Patrick
Phantom88 is offline   Reply With Quote