Saving targets from DMT/TGP?

SeeBread

Hi guys, currently trying to refine my A/G workflow and can't work out if this is possible or not.

What I'd like to do is this - usually I am passed a preset waypoint target. Once I slave my DMT/TGP onto that waypoint there are multiple targets to hit scattered around that area. I'd like to be able to target and save each one as a waypoint/target from a distance before I start attacking.

This would mean I don't have to try and set up the next target while I'm evading/defending/coming round for the next run. Instead I could just switch to the next waypoint, designate it and go again which would make things 1000x simpler.

I know I can do this with JDAMs from the F10 map but I'd like to be able to save waypoints/targets from the cockpit to use the MK82s/rockets etc.

Is this possible? Should it be possible? Will it be possible? :lol:

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the real-world techniques and procedures are for this scenario.

In DCS, what you describe you want to do is (sort of, mostly) possible. But if you are familiar with the A-10C, it is nowhere near as streamlined as that.

With the TPOD, you can point at a spot and read the lat/lon coords.

You can then enter these coords in the CAS page to create a target point. But there's no digital handoff or copy/paste function. You'd have to write them down by hand and then manually enter via UFC. Once the CAS record is set as a TGT, you can cycle via WPT Increment or MFCD.

But it should be doable.

i7 9700k | GTX 1080 | 32 gb | X55 + ProFlight pedals | TrackIR | Win10

Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria

A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-16C | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | Ka50 | FC3 | CA | SC | Kiowa

You can use the F10 map to put target waypoints (T01, T02....) and import on CAS page. It sounds strange and arcade-ish but actually simulates the rover system, in which JTAC's send up target coordinates to CAS platforms through datalink.

Once you have these target waypoints, you can navigate to then by long-pressing 'waypoint increase' hotas command. On ODU you can select TGTS and navigate to then...

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the real-world techniques and procedures are for this scenario.

In DCS, what you describe you want to do is (sort of, mostly) possible. But if you are familiar with the A-10C, it is nowhere near as streamlined as that.

With the TPOD, you can point at a spot and read the lat/lon coords.

You can then enter these coords in the CAS page to create a target point. But there's no digital handoff or copy/paste function. You'd have to write them down by hand and then manually enter via UFC. Once the CAS record is set as a TGT, you can cycle via WPT Increment or MFCD.

But it should be doable.

Well there are real world issues of how accurate those coordinates are. In the real world jdams can either use real world coordinates or ownship generated relative coordinates which are more accurate and its what used more for TOO modes.

None of these "real world" problems with using TGP's are actually modeled in DCS for the litening or likely any other TGP. Its even more absurd in the hornet with the ability to generate coordinates for 50nm out.

1.16 compliant since I've asked before and posted it before

https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6123&context=utk_gradthes

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 months later...
None of these "real world" problems with using TGP's are actually modeled in DCS for the litening or likely any other TGP. Its even more absurd in the hornet with the ability to generate coordinates for 50nm out.

1.16 compliant since I've asked before and posted it before

https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6123&context=utk_gradthes

That is my personal problem in DCS, that western aircrafts lack the inaccuracies and challenges there should be.

Example the Su-25A guidance reticle is fun because it drifts and its moving is challenging, but nothing like that with the targeting pods and a like. The Su-25T automatic "snap-on" to targets is annoying as hell with perfect lock and all.

And the same thing is with the Maverick and likely the coming A-G radar capabilities eventually.

We have these fancy fantasies where we can search, spot and lock targets with Maverick seeker without any problems from tens of kilometers distance, and then just launch them at max theoretical distance without challenges. Perfect tracking, perfect lock and all. And we have people in western aircrafts just flying circles at 20-50 nmi distance, spotting everything perfectly, generating perfect coordinates and all, launch weapons well outside the air defense capabilities that are so annoyingly limited from real performances and capabilities.

Like the well known AGM-65B vs AGM-65G performance chart:

attachment.php?attachmentid=156230&stc=1&d=1485896241

attachment.php?attachmentid=156231&stc=1&d=1485896241

So not so much for a great long range launches.

Now we are having these fancy GPS coordinates with a pin point accuracy and so on.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem isn't that this is not modelled, the problem is it WONT be, because the customers expect to target tanks in open fields from 50 kilometres ever since 2008. I dare the first developer to bring inaccuracy and visibility into the code... double dare them and see the backlash ;)

The A-10C legacy lives on. When ED do soemthing to PvP'rs about a2a missiles, you get vociferous complaints.

When they nerf visibility, the old aged single players vote with their wallets.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

That is my personal problem in DCS, that western aircrafts lack the inaccuracies and challenges there should be.

Perfect tracking, perfect lock and all. And we have people in western aircrafts just flying circles at 20-50 nmi distance, spotting everything perfectly, generating perfect coordinates and all, launch weapons well outside the air defense capabilities that are so annoyingly limited from real performances and capabilities.

Now we are having these fancy GPS coordinates with a pin point accuracy and so on.

thats-the-joke.jpg

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).