Question about different shadow options

sirrah

So, do I understand this correct about the graphics settings:

• Terrain object shadows - enables/disables shadows casted by buildings, bridges, trees
  • Shadows - enables/disables all other shadows (ground units, aircraft, ships, static objects and in cockpit)

Asking this because I noticed that shadows causes an immense drop in framerates. I easily gain an average of 10fps switching from low, to off (obviously depending a little bit on the test mission)

I have no idea how much of this is caused by the in cockpit shadows and how much is caused by all objects around me. But it would be great if we could only enable in cockpit shadows seperately. I mean, I can do without object shadows (sure it looks a bit weird, but ok), but I'm having a really hard time feeling immersed without cockpit shadows.

Just set it to low I hear you say. I can't really, because I need the extra 10fps to get to 30fps.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

All I know is the terrain shadows and (normal) shadows eat the FPS. I've turned terrain shadows to off, cockpit illumination turned on, and shadows on low.

From the manual:

Shadows

•Off–Turns off all shadows from all objects.

•Flat Only–Only flat shadows on the ground from aircraft/unit are displayed. There are no shadows in the cockpit or on the aircraftelements.

•Low–Low quality projection shadows (shadow map) on the ground from the aircraft/unit, in the cockpit and on the elements ofthe aircraft.

•Medium–Medium quality projection shadows (shadow map) on the ground from the aircraft/unit, in the cockpit and on the elements of the aircraft.

•High–High quality projection shadows (shadow map) on the ground from the aircraft/unit, in the cockpit and on the elements of the aircraft.

All I know is the terrain shadows and (normal) shadows eat the FPS. I've turned terrain shadows to off, cockpit illumination turned on, and shadows on low.

From the manual:

Shadows

•Off–Turns off all shadows from all objects.

•Flat Only–Only flat shadows on the ground from aircraft/unit are displayed. There are no shadows in the cockpit or on the aircraftelements.

•Low–Low quality projection shadows (shadow map) on the ground from the aircraft/unit, in the cockpit and on the elements ofthe aircraft.

•Medium–Medium quality projection shadows (shadow map) on the ground from the aircraft/unit, in the cockpit and on the elements of the aircraft.

•High–High quality projection shadows (shadow map) on the ground from the aircraft/unit, in the cockpit and on the elements of the aircraft.

Thanks for the reply

Bummer. I really wish we could have a cockpit shadow only option (it's where I spend most of my time :P)

No idea how difficult it would be for ED to separate it from the rest, but it would be great to have

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH