Missing communication menu

sanc2775

Missing communication menu

After the last patch I have had problems using the communications menu since when i takes off it disappears and I have not found a way to reset it in the air. It only appears when I land. Can someone explain to me how to fix it? Because I have done everything since connecting it with my joystick and nothing really happens. It is very uncomfortable trying to fly without communication at any time. Any help I will eternally appreciate.: helpmilie:

Which plane(s) have you tried?

Which version of DCS are you running, and is it steam or standalone?

Do you run any mods / addons?

How have you connected it with your joystick?

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Check the box for Easy Communications under the gameplay tab in the settings menu to use \ in the air.

With easy comms turned off you have to ensure your radios are tuned properly and use RAlt+\ to key COMM 1 and RCtrl+\ for COMM2.

Just checked the L-39, the Communication Menu (backslash) works on the runway, but is unavailable immediately after takeoff. Radio and Interphone transmit switches work fine though.

...this is going to frustrate people that use Easy Communications, or were relying on that functionality without realizing it :thumbup:

I'll post a track soon.

EDIT: Easy Communications appears to be unaffected. So it's only for you pilots that are doing it wrong, or else in a server/mission forcing easy communication off...

Edited by randomTOTEN

I hope that they will make a tutorial for beginners like me in that sense that I always use easy communication and I will thank my soul because I feel frustrated trying to fix the problem.

Did you go back into the option menu and ensure "easy communications" is checked under the game play tab like I mentioned above?

Here's the result of all modules I have,

Communication Menu working in flight:

A-10C

AJS37

F-16C Blk 50

Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft

M-2000C

MiG-21Bis

Su-25T

Communications Menu inoperative in flight:

Bf-109K4

F-5E-3

F-86-F

F/A-18C Lot 20

Ka-50

L-39C

Mi-8MTV2

MiG-15Bis

P-51D

TF-51D

UH-1H

Most tests performed in Nevada using the Takeoff instant action for that module.

checked or unchecked? if it is unchecked I did it but I just can't understand comm 1 and 2 they only go up and down but I dont get an answer how to get them to answer me?

Checked. That should allow you to just use \ without tuning radios and needing to use COMM1 or COMM2.

InkedScreen_200606_200354_LI.thumb.jpg.13d916b65ba8d6085750d9bd39c5f343.jpg

If it is unchecked you have to manualy tune your radios. Say, just for example, your flight is on 275.000 Mhz and a tanker is 273.000 MHz. You could tune radio 1 to 275.000 and radio 2 to 273.000. If you want to talk to your flight you would then use the key command for COMM1 (or whatever you may have it bound to on your HOTAS), and if you want to talk to the tanker you would use the key command for COMM2.

delete your key binding in saved game for the aircraft that you having problem with.

re-bind the key should work.

i had same problem after the update, i used more aggressive way to dealing with.

wipe the whole DCS folder below the saved game folder.

it works

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I9-9900K-Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC, 32G DDR4000 RAM,

Track IR5, HOTAS Cougar + über Nxt Hall Sensor Mod, Slaw Device RX Viper

• 3 months later...

I'm going to start collecting links to this same problem. Perhaps they can be merged into a super thread, to show what a problem this is.

Even if there is no message sent, there should still IMO be a menu that pops up.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=232593

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222693

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=282931

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=280103

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/digital-combat-simulator/dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/227854-communications-menu-not-opening-in-the-air

funny, the post I saw which motivated me to make this reply appears to be a radio usage issue, not the missing comm menu itself.

Edited by randomTOTEN
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm struggling with the same issues after update to 2.7.14.24228 open beta. Easy Comms is ticked as it has always been, all the bindings are the same as they were set, haven't introduced any new community mods/skins/whatsoever just updated DCS. 

Prior to this update I would just press the key/button to open coms menu regardless of engine/systems on/off, on the ground or in the air in a F-14, now it doesn't. I've tried remapping and it hasn't helped.

EDIT: Tried with radio assist on/off, easy communications on/off, on the ground and in the air and no matter what key binding or button binding I tried NO COMM MENU appeared

This menu was present from the day 1 of playing DCS and NO this is not some functionality of the radio comms and please do not reply if you are going to write that this is the way it should be BECAUSE IT ISN'T

Edited by Luka CMF

F-14, A-10CII, F/A-18, Spitfire, FC3, Supercarrier and all of the maps/terrains 

R7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3733GHz CL14, RTX3090, Sound blaster Z, Oculus Quest 2 and Reverb G2, WINWING F/A-18 Orion HOTAS...

16 hours ago, Luka CMF said:

I'm struggling with the same issues after update to 2.7.14.24228 open beta. Easy Comms is ticked as it has always been, all the bindings are the same as they were set, haven't introduced any new community mods/skins/whatsoever just updated DCS. 

Prior to this update I would just press the key/button to open coms menu regardless of engine/systems on/off, on the ground or in the air in a F-14, now it doesn't. I've tried remapping and it hasn't helped.

EDIT: Tried with radio assist on/off, easy communications on/off, on the ground and in the air and no matter what key binding or button binding I tried NO COMM MENU appeared

This menu was present from the day 1 of playing DCS and NO this is not some functionality of the radio comms and please do not reply if you are going to write that this is the way it should be BECAUSE IT ISN'T

is this problem for every mission SP and MP? i cannot say i ever had the problem though there is a setting within missions that enable / disable comms states.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

2 hours ago, silverdevil said:

is this problem for every mission SP and MP? i cannot say i ever had the problem though there is a setting within missions that enable / disable comms states.

I've tried campaign, mission from editor, instant action and it doesn't work on any. Prior to the update everything worked without any issues

R7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3733GHz CL14, RTX3090, Sound blaster Z, Oculus Quest 2 and Reverb G2, WINWING F/A-18 Orion HOTAS...

On 5/29/2022 at 10:00 PM, Luka CMF said:

...haven't introduced any new community mods/skins/whatsoever just updated DCS.

But do you still have any mods?

Do you use Voice Attack?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

43 minutes ago, draconus said:

But do you still have any mods?

Do you use Voice Attack?

No, nothing added, no external programs nor plugins or anything similar 

7 minutes ago, Luka CMF said:

No, nothing added, no external programs nor plugins or anything similar 

Try to repair and clean DCS.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/

Try with clean profile. Rename temporarily your \saved games\DCS Open Beta folder and give it a try.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

48 minutes ago, draconus said:

Try to repair and clean DCS.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/

Try with clean profile. Rename temporarily your \saved games\DCS Open Beta folder and give it a try.

already have done so...I only haven't removed bindings(have only cleared keyboard as I'm not using it so much while in VR) because I have spent many hours getting everything mapped that can be applied to my setup

Edited by Luka CMF