Ground based radar systems

Mr_sukebe

Can we please have ground based radar systems that we can talk to, similar to the current ability to communicate with an AWACs.

I’m conscious that from the Battle of Britain onwards, most key belligerents involving larger scale air battles had ground radar systems.

We can start with Britain in 1940, Germany for the rest of WW2, then the complex Russian, NATO and US systems that were built.

What I’d like to see is:

- The ability to add specific radar stations and mobile systems as a physical unit, which also gives us something to blow up

- Radar ranges for the sites to be vaguely realistic and influenced by ground cover and maybe even weather. It might be a bit “gamey”, but if the radar range could be made variable within the mission editor, we could almost have a single generic radar unit, that mission builders could assign what they consider to be reasonable ranges

- The ability for an aircraft to communicate with the ground air defence system controller, such that we can be given vectors for intercepting enemy aircraft. This ground controller to have collated data from all of the various working radar sites

- If the above is viable, to include radar capabilities and a controller with ships

As a short term workaround, I’m guessing that we could use invisible/invulnerable AWACs for say WW2 period battles. That kind of gets there, although the radar coverage from an AWACs is clearly going to be significantly better than most period level radar systems from say WW2/Korea.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

As a short term workaround try this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192550

Oooh. That’s cool, I like that. Thanks

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Yes, part of the ground military utility/infrastrcture/ammo/fuel supply transport unit stuff, I would also make sure all kinds of various minor dishes and antennas that seem to be for radio, comm stuff and not necessairly part of an AA system (or it's just not seen in video)

I keep seing such in various videos with these truck-trailer mounted mini-dishes and antennas and it would be great if these had actual gameplay affecting function eventually in DCS, not just for making things look pretty, like the stuff at airports currently, that's the thing that should set DCS aside from the usual entertainment product, where all the side stuff is completely not fucntional.

Direct link to the time:

o5LPxek.png

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Can we please have ground based radar systems that we can talk to, similar to the current ability to communicate with an AWACs.

Do you only ever play Blue ?

Try adding Ukraine or Georgia to Blue, then use a "Russian" EWR (assign a Hz & Call-sign).

It has the same menu as AWACS

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Try adding Ukraine or Georgia to Blue, then use a "Russian" EWR (assign a Hz & Call-sign).

Lol.

Thanks for identifying what is clearly a rather large hole in my understanding, nice one.

Just checked a video about setting up a Russian unit.

Are there suitable period units for ww2 on the allied and German sides?

Interesting, I've never been able to get the Georgian 1L13 EWR to work for the blue coalition.

It'll appear under the AWACS menu but radio coms never work. The problem seems related to western AWACS using identifying code words like "Overlord", etc. and Russian AWACS/EWR using digits "611", etc.

There's a work around that changes western AWACS/EWR ID's to use digits and allows the 1L13 EWR radio to work.

As Blue EWR's have been a long standing issue in DCS, I thought the bug was well known (even if not a priority ATM).

EWR Workaround, DCS 2.5.3 : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3329693&postcount=37

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I'm at work, but I flew an SP mission last night in a US F/A-18C getting info from an EWR (I can't remember which of the two, but - yes, with numerical codes & no mods, I just set their Hz & call-sign in the ME, tuned one of the radio's to that (Them, I had once at either end of the map)), & that worked fine...

Cheers.

Or just have the existing Patriot / Hawk batteries' SRs (/ S-300) perform the same function...

Good point. it would be great to have an "is ewr" attribute and "relay speed" option for every ground and naval unit.

It would allow every unit with "is ewr = 1" to automatically guide cap patrols to enemy position but only using the units native sensor range. So it would be a natural fit for radar equipped units, but having non-radar-equipped units doing the ewr task might be interesting for some mission designs, especially for WWII or othe "low tech" missions...

Relay speed would determine how fast and how often the position got updated. So you could accomodate for slow stream of information from units not connected electronically.

(That would probably only be interesting if you used the EWR to guide AI CAPs and not players)