Russian S8 rockets (and their warheads)

Hello, I was curious about the different type of S-8 rocket warheads that you can load on the Mi8. In the mission builder, you can choose four different S-8 rockets. These are the options:

S-8KOM

S-8FP2

S-8OM

S-8TSM

Both through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-8_rocket and test misisons I've been able to verify that th S-8OM produces an orange cloud of smoke when it hits the ground. The S-8TSM is a bright flare that will explode in mid-air after it has traveled a certain distance. It will slowly descend to the ground while burning extremely bright. Both are nice, but not really usable if you want to kill something.

THe S-8KOM and S-8FP2 will go BOOM if they hit the ground. But I'd like to know what is the difference between the two rockets? Wikipedia says that S-8KOM has a HEAT warhead. So it is anti-tank and not really useful against infantry or soft skin targets. But what does the S-8FP2 do? I know it goes "Boom" but I'm looking for something to efficiently kill infantry because I am rather stuck in a campaign mission. And is the FP2 rocket a better choice then the KOM rocket or not?

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

Actually, the S-8OM is the 'flare' version (which illuminates overhead)

S-8TsM is the orange smoke marker

S-8KOM has an AP warhead

S-8FP2 is fragmentation

I know this as our squad has been using these for years, and I have a Yefim Gordon book (Soviet/Russian AC weapons) which confirms the above.

Edited by 159_Archer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

Yup, that S-8FP2 missile did the job just fine. Thanks! Many times before, I was shooting AT rockets at infantry. They shot back at me with enough AK fire to cripple the Mi-8. I guess those guys where laughing at me a lot once they realized the rockets wouldn't really damage them at all!

But not this time!

Screen_140720_153036_zpsb0519a56.jpg

Happy Flying! :pilotfly: