[REPORTED] Can start engine without priming or wobble pump

Nealius

Fuel warning lamp extinguished because you switched On "Fuel Pump Switch" and thus pressurized fuel system. Then you do not need use Wobble pump, it is correct.

I do not know if is possible/correct start without engine prime, i think no, but...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

You should only use the fuel pump at take off (when you are on the runway and ready to go), until you have landed again.

The wobble pump will provide enough pressure for starting and taxiing. If the pressure drops and the fuel pressure warning light is asserted, use the wobble pump again until it extinguishes.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

You should only use the fuel pump at take off (when you are on the runway and ready to go), until you have landed again.

Just curious: What's the reason for that?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

According to the actual Pilot's Notes for Spitfire IX, operating the booster pump without the fuel cut-off or the engine running can inject fuel into the supercharger and cause a serous risk of fire.

Once the engine is running, there should be no need for the booster, and since you have the wobble pump, there's not need to use it before take-off.

Also, a slight correction. The Notes say in the landing check-list, to turn the booster off, so actually before landing, not after.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I don't know about your issue with priming. I've always done about the same as in the P-51. I start turning the engine over without ignition to lubricate, and after 6 blades I prime and turn on the magnetos, priming for about 4-5 seconds; longer if it's cold.

If the engine is warm, I'll just give it a 1-2 second squirt before starting (no need to turn over without power, bc the engine is already lubricated) and hit the magnetos and starter at the same time.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
I start turning the engine over without ignition to lubricate, and after 6 blades I prime and turn on the magnetos, priming for about 4-5 seconds; longer if it's cold.

To put it bluntly, that's a kind of strange way to go through the start up process, priming while turning over.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

AFAIK the normal procedure would be for the ground crew to manually turn the prop over 6 blades, but sans ground crew, the only way to do this would be to use the starter.

Ofc you could use the starter for 6 blades, then let the starter cool down --I've honestly never tried to burn out the starter on the Spitfire, but I used to do it regularly in the Mustang :D -- and then prime and start the engine, but why go through the extra trouble. Even the manual says, if the engine is not firing to add priming while turning the engine over. I'm just taking the procedure one step more consequent.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

So....no input on the actual problem of the Spit starting without using the primer? The Yak can be started without priming as well, and even in the Bf 109 priming doesn't work, making us use the fuel pump every time. Is priming even modeled in DCS?

• 5 weeks later...