[FIXED] Green Tint and double reflections on front windscreen

Sn8ke_iis

While I have seen many photos of Spitfires with this green tint, I have to agree that it is way overdone. Your screenshot demonstrates this very well.

I have the feeling that it's physically harder to look through the windscreen. It's as if they put an opaque green layer over the windscreen and shifted the transparency slider to 50 to 75% or so.

Therefore we lack 25 to 50% of vision through the windscreen.

Photo courtesy of toby23

attachment.php?attachmentid=189987&d=1531657476

As you can see, the green tint is far less pronounced in the real cockpit. The propeller blades still appear black, whereas everything is green in DCS.

The tint should improve visibility through the windshield, not impair it.

I have noticed the same with many of the dark tinted HUDs. My feeling there too is, that they are using an opaque layer with a certain % of transparency, which impairs vision.

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

[ATTACH]190133[/ATTACH]I have no trouble seeing through the sight glass. Your background colours are more saturated than mine. But I still think it could be toned down a little.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

While you can of course "see" through the glass, the vision is obviously impaired. Contrast is definitely reduced, whereas I'm sure the idea of the tint was to improve contrast.

And of course it looks very, very green. Basically everything seen through the windscreen is a shade of green, which impairs the ability to distinguish colour.

All pictures of real-life Spitfires I can find of it show a very slight blue-green hue.

This YT video shows it very nicely:

Contrast is actually better through the windscreen and despite the green tinge, colours can still be seen in their full range.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I've done a mock-up of how it could look much better and true to life (see thumbnails, original for comparison).

362895383_Screen_180717_173831(1).thumb.png.8ce24f83dd5146e188e02894c2a86606.png

1525166329_Screen_180717_173831(1)-4.thumb.jpg.d10b74efccabdf57ec5c478d2befb8ca.jpg

While you can of course "see" through the glass, the vision is obviously impaired. Contrast is definitely reduced, whereas I'm sure the idea of the tint was to improve contrast.

And of course it looks very, very green. Basically everything seen through the windscreen is a shade of green, which impairs the ability to distinguish colour.

All pictures of real-life Spitfires I can find of it show a very slight blue-green hue.

Contrast is actually better through the windscreen and despite the green tinge, colours can still be seen in their full range.

Yes, you can clearly see the difference in colour. It has more of a light blue/green tint, which has no loss of forward clarity at all.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I've done a mock-up of how it could look much better and true to life (see thumbnails, original for comparison).

That's a lot better. It enhances the blue sky as shown in the video instead of turning it green, which shows it to be more accurate.

I changed the files a bit, so far it looks like below. I may tweak some more.

If anyone want to try themselves, the files are located at

/Mods/aircraft/SpitfireLFMkIX/Cockpit/Textures/Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures

and are called

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF.dds

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_FILTR.dds

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

This YT video shows it very nicely:

The glass was not tinted green, the armoured glass was clear. The same effect can be observed by taking a piece of plate glass and looking at the edge. The edge appears to be green. This is the result of impurities in the glass and the the refractive index of them in the glass. The thickness of the glass, the level of impurities and the angle all affect the visibility through the glass.

This is something that would take a lot of calculating power to simulate and the easy answer is to just make the glass green at all angles however it will now be affected by the individual settings and monitor for each player.

For the record I am flying with TrackIR and using a Samsung 4k monitor that does not reproduce colours as well as my older 1080p ASUS did and I don't notice the extreme green tint that others have posted, mine looks more like the photo posted by Toby or the video. I am using the last OB patch and I do not use any post filters. I suspect that it is a matter of gama settings and monitor.

I changed the files a bit, so far it looks like below. I may tweak some more.

If anyone want to try themselves, the files are located at

/Mods/aircraft/SpitfireLFMkIX/Cockpit/Textures/Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures

and are called

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF.dds

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_FILTR.dds

Since there doesn't seem to be any official tweak/fix included in today's update, would you mind posting your custom files in the mods section of the forum for those of us, who are "Photoshop-impaired"? :D

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

After the update 6 and 7 does not work :( directory of the Liveries, for these two most important textures.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Since there doesn't seem to be any official tweak/fix included in today's update, would you mind posting your custom files in the mods section of the forum for those of us, who are "Photoshop-impaired"? :D

Hope you like it ;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216145

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance

Just a pity that MP will not work due to check integrity.

Oh? I don't have that problem. I use OvGME for that mod, green IC.

Any official person acknowledged this over done green tint? It is over done as I lost aircraft while on dog-fighting. Some time it is very hard to look through, depends on the direction of your plane in relation to sun and background.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Toby23's Mod is a good fix

Thanks for the response NineLine and everyone else. The Spittie is my first and favorite module. I have solved my personal problem and have my Spittie back! :pilotfly:

I replaced only the canopy reflection texture with Toby23's version and I couldn't be happier. Without the double reflection the green tint doesn't really bother me.

The reflection effect is much more subtle and does not obscure your vision but you can still see it if you look for it. Your eyes are focused off in the distance instead of the glass. It's much better now. I would suggest adding this texture to the default stock textures.

I've attached a few before and after screenshots. In the 'after' shots the reflections are not really visible, but you can see them in game just in a very subtle non intrusive way.

edit: I've gone to a combo of Toby23's reflection texture and ams999 clear glass texture as Holbeach suggested below and will be sticking with that. I've yet to try MP but wil try with a mod manager for IC.

Screen_180722_024801.thumb.jpg.76574f2814fd364c0f5199278318943e.jpg

Screen_180722_024951.thumb.jpg.b04e15940725d40748e0811b88b30972.jpg

Screen_180722_035224.thumb.jpg.92fd9855c61f9964c32ea373c9bfe588.jpg

Screen_180722_034833.thumb.jpg.a25df0d1598415a2aa17d459001a084b.jpg

Edited by Sn8ke_iis

I'm using a combination of ams999 and Toby23 mods to get it how I like it.

A little more green in the tint would be nice, but many thanks to the modders for solving the problem.

Edited by Holbeach

• 2 months later...

Armored glass green tint obscures runway completely

Has anyone else had problems with the DCS spitfire on the Normandy map having problems picking out the actual runway while in VR?

The green tint of the armoured glass is just the right shade to cancel out the runway when looking through it in VR while landing. The landing strip and the surrounding airfield are just a flat plain all the same colour.

It all works ok looking out the canopy, it is just the green of the armoured front plate glass that causes the problem for me.

This problem has been there for a month or three, was hoping an update would fix it.

"This problem has been there for a month or three, was hoping an update would fix it."

Along with the rest of us! Every changelog I keep hoping to see this particular issue sorted, along with the canopy reflections not travelling with the canopy, but here we are.

Not just runways. Bandits, when the sun is at certain angles, disappear in a green bloom, and good luck finding ground targets (or anything that you could potentially fly into for that matter!) if engaged in some air-to-mud in the twilight hours...

Edited by DD_Fenrir

"This problem has been there for a month or three, was hoping an update would fix it."

Along with the rest of us! Every changelog I keep hoping to see this particular issue sorted, along with the canopy reflections not travelling with the canopy, but here we are.

A big +1 to that!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|