The Specular Lighting Thread: For Skin Artists

-Rudel-

I'm trying to understand what do specular channels actually do under the deferred shading option.

With the DS turned off, specular channels behave the same way they always did. Nothing has changed on that front. But when you turn it on, it seems that G and B channels are not doing much except for making the base color brighter with the R controling all the reflectivness. Is that correct?

So basically to make a paint reflective under both options, I have to ramp up the RED channel and accept that with DS turned off, this will result in more intense flare.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand....

deferred shading enables PBR and that renders [no pun intended] Spec layers redundant so the RoughMets are used under deferred shading..... I think.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to fix the RedBull TF-51D in 2.5.2 after roughmet is introduced..

Was working fine until updated to 2.5.3, i found there's some ping edge's around the words (Screen Shot 10-11-18 at 10.48 PM.jpg)

Have been trying to get rid of it by various nvidia settings without success, i reverted back to 2.5.2 its all good then (Screen Shot 10-13-18 at 11.03 AM.JPG).

Anyone encountered this as well? :dunno:

1658615876_ScreenShot10-13-18at11_03AM.thumb.JPG.0b851307620eafbfcb7a2652432a8bdb.JPG

1542955906_ScreenShot10-11-18at10_48PM.thumb.JPG.0a9fd7de4d79a8437ec7f3c3e3393feb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps Skate or someone can help with a problem I'm having getting a reflective bare metal look on the F-5. Currently I can get it looking reasonably good in the object viewer when I load up "f-5e3_lod_00.edm" with the spec files, as you can see in the first image. But when I load in-game, or load "f-5e3.lods" It returns to a neutral, glossy painted look in direct sunlight. I have tried converting to roughmets, which again, works with the .edm files, but not with the .lods file, or when I view the model in game. Dramatically changing the spec channel values (or roughmet channel values) only makes a minor difference - either it looks glossy painted, or matte painted, when viewing in-game. Only the "f-5e3_lod_00.edm" responds well to changes in the spec or roughmet.

f-5e3_lod_00.edm

attachment.php?attachmentid=196716&stc=1&d=1540689389

f-5e3.lods (in game)

attachment.php?attachmentid=196715&stc=1&d=1540689389

f-5e3_lods.thumb.PNG.c7d91fcac08f3279bf9a6f34ec7c992a.PNG

f-5e3_lod_00_edm.thumb.PNG.99e5a5021e1a30110b618f33601cf65d.PNG

Edited by hughlb

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Perhaps Skate or someone can help with a problem I'm having getting a reflective bare metal look on the F-5. Currently I can get it looking reasonably good in the object viewer when I load up "f-5e3_lod_00.edm" with the spec files, as you can see in the first image. But when I load in-game, or load "f-5e3.lods" It returns to a neutral, glossy painted look in direct sunlight. I have tried converting to roughmets, which again, works with the .edm files, but not with the .lods file, or when I view the model in game. Dramatically changing the spec channel values (or roughmet channel values) only makes a minor difference - either it looks glossy painted, or matte painted, when viewing in-game. Only the "f-5e3_lod_00.edm" responds well to changes in the spec or roughmet.

f-5e3_lod_00.edm

attachment.php?attachmentid=196716&stc=1&d=1540689389

f-5e3.lods (in game)

attachment.php?attachmentid=196715&stc=1&d=1540689389

Because the F-5E Shape uses a JSON File to convert Spec to Deferred Shading,

The JSON File loads when the engine loads the LODs, if you load the EDM Directly it does not load the JSON File.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Because the F-5E Shape uses a JSON File to convert Spec to Deferred Shading,

The JSON File loads when the engine loads the LODs, if you load the EDM Directly it does not load the JSON File.

Ah, that makes sense. Is there any way around this to get the chrome bare metal look? Or will it require the dev to update the shaders?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Sorry to somewhat necro, but i figured I could assist hughlb and possibly others looking to do similar things.

Here are some results of me tweaking things to the bare metal livery. Note, this is the .lods shape, so this is how it renders in game.

To get it to render this way, I had to alter the the textures folders under F-5E in the game directory. I extracted the zip for the f5e-3, then renamed the files with _spec to _RoughMet. Then reszip the file and keep the original around to revert if need be. This appears to have "enabled" the model to use RoughMet. After that its a matter of following the description.lua things that Skate has posted in other threads on how to correlate the diffuse (color) texture with the RoughMet texture.

From there, play with the rough met files to your hearts desire to achieve your desired look.

picture.php?albumid=1660&pictureid=10599

picture.php?albumid=1660&pictureid=10600

Edited by tntboy13

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all.!

I have started creating my first livery and I'm try to follow the steps described in various how to videos but my livery layer seems to be kind of transparent over the metallic surface of the airplane (F-86F). How can my liver be more opaque?

Also while the whole aircraft appears with a black "primer" there are some area tha are green and have some visible numbers. Will this create a problem when I finish my livery and if so how can I correct this?

I'm attaching some pics to help you understand my issue. 

You're kindly asked for support 

THX in advance

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

image.png

image.png

image.png