Reputation System

NineLine

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can report PMs and the PMs are sent to us for review.

Your argument was specifically that new users might be turned away by bad rep comments.

Does it make sense to assume that such users would know to report PMs, but would not know how to take a screenshot from their rep panel in order to report it?

If the problem was that senior users exploited this, by all means punish them accordingly. Any webmaster/database admin should be able to confirm such messages within a few minutes so that you moderators do not need to rely solely on screenshots (*).

(*) I know how easy it is to say that. I don't have any experience with vButlletin. But seriously, would it be that much more difficult than this?

SELECT id AS sender_id FROM member WHERE name LIKE "$sender";

SELECT id AS recipient_id FROM member WHERE name LIKE "$recipient";

SELECT comment, timestamp FROM reputation WHERE recipient_id = $recipient_id AND sender_id = $sender_id ORDER BY timestamp DESC;

There is an option to report the message when using the PM in Tapatalk.

Okay, I see, thanks for clarifying! I would say "rep inbound", but... :smartass:

Besides, not being able to +rep this post is pure cruelty! ;)

my first rep comment was "welcome to the forum"

to my first post.

of course i didn't see it for months because i didn't know rep comments existed till i randomly found them.

so new users who see bad rep comments? i completely missed them.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I've been on these forums and DCS for little over a decade, only stopped being involved with both due to change in personal life that prevent me from continuing... but hopefully will get back into it again. I am very surprised to see this go, I saw no issue with it at all and it was for me very nice way for us, the community, to share our free will with the rest and naturally and democratically self-regulate ourselves, so to speak. I hope you bring it back, possibly make some adjustments to it so to try to prevent abuse, but I feel getting rid of it is more negative then positive.

I feel personal expression is very important, even if sometimes sounding negative, if we lose that, we lose a lot.

No longer active in DCS...

Thank your for illustrating why the system is now disabled. NO you do not need to show people how stupid you think they are. You can report posts if they break the rules, but because someone has a differing opinion from you or looks at something different doesnt mean you need to insult them, etc...

so you would prefer if we post in an actual thread (according to rules OF COURSE!), de-railing it and further provoke other comments instead of just repping stuff like "dude read the manual page 100". or if i just want to agree with a statement i now have to reply in the thread, and just a "i agree" isnt any helpfull to the rest of the people who read the thread.

just because you think the worst does not mean everybody does it. Just allow reporting reps like Messages.

or remove the +/- and just bring back the ability for a short comment on a post.

Why dont you guys think of a less abusive way to comment on a post instead of removing it.

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

so you would prefer if we post in an actual thread (according to rules OF COURSE!), de-railing it and further provoke other comments instead of just repping stuff like "dude read the manual page 100". or if i just want to agree with a statement i now have to reply in the thread, and just a "i agree" isnt any helpfull to the rest of the people who read the thread.

just because you think the worst does not mean everybody does it. Just allow reporting reps like Messages.

or remove the +/- and just bring back the ability for a short comment on a post.

Why dont you guys think of a less abusive way to comment on a post instead of removing it.

To speak to your example:

1. No problem posting "dude read the manual page 100"

2. Not a reason for negative rep

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

or remove the +/- and just bring back the ability for a short comment on a post

i agree on the removal of the +/-, in case that wasnt clear enough

I did miss that part of your earlier post, apologies, but then if you're for removing the +/- I'm not sure what you're asking for, we can post any length reply from one character upwards...

Edited by Horns
Clarified last sentence

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

because posting in that case might de-rail a thread from its original direction, or blow it up in size. which is imho counterproductive.

or just tell someone how awesome his mod is, without filling his Thread with posts when others might want to scroll throu it for updates / help

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

• ED Team
Your argument was specifically that new users might be turned away by bad rep comments.

Does it make sense to assume that such users would know to report PMs, but would not know how to take a screenshot from their rep panel in order to report it?

It wasn't an argument, It does not have to make sense, this is how it is :)

New users who had been given negative rep points would often see the red boxes under their name, they often assumed they had been given warnings by the moderating team, and would make complaints via PM and the support ticket system or social media, which would take resources away from the support team helping genuine users with in game issues.

The removal of the rep system was long overdue.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It's still too bad that the system is entirely gone. There are some beautiful screenshots and videos and quite a few helpful posts that I would have liked to +rep since the system was removed.

Why not just replace the red square icons with grey ones, or even green ones? Then people who were downrepped feel like they did something right and you'll have less support work, while the rest of us can get back to using a helpful and constructive tool.

• ED Team

When ED have a replacement they will consider using it, for now we will do just fine without one.

Post replies, send a PM, show your appreciation this way for now.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

For what its worth, I liked the rep system. I was not a forum guy until i started dcs so i didnt actually knew how the rep system worked. When i first realized an increase on my rep points, i tried to find where they were listed. Most of them were from yurgon with short messages like "good advice, thanks" things like that and it made me feel quite happy to be honest, it encouraged me to involve myself more with the forums. Since i could see the related post to every indivudual rep, i could check what i did do good there. I got only a single negative rep with an insult attached to it and that was for disagreeing with a guy, I just put him on my ignore list and didnt think on it any further.

I cant say that that i cared about a number below someones name ( i mean i can just check his/her post history and decide for myself) but being able to comment on a post without crowding the thread with unrelated messages is really helpfull IMO.

It wasn't an argument, It does not have to make sense, this is how it is :)

Anyone know the smiley code for a raised eyebrow ?

New users who had been given negative rep points would often see the red boxes under their name, they often assumed they had been given warnings by the moderating team, and would make complaints via PM and the support ticket system or social media, which would take resources away from the support team helping genuine users with in game issues.

Surely simply removing the "-" button would have solved that issue.

To that extent I'd agree The removal of the negative rep system was long overdue

The baby seems to have gone out the window with the bathwater, which seems both very strange and unnecessary.

Still, if

It does not have to make sense, this is how it is :)

then there's not much point in discussing it any more...

Cheers.

• ED Team

Correct.

We have listened to the feedback, but at this point the reputation system will not be coming back.

If ED find an alternative they are happy with it will be considered, this is not likely to happen until we see a forum upgrade.