Carpet bombing? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #21
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

*ahem* you said, ".. but not all groups drop the load ..", and then noted that all the bombers in the one group dropped their bombs, but only the lead bomber opened its bomb bay doors, so what is your issue again?

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:56 AM   #22
grant977

Reputation power: 0
grant977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you do this with a flight of b52s like nam?
grant977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #23
rogonaut

Reputation power: 3
rogonaut will become famous soon enoughrogonaut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
*ahem* you said, ".. but not all groups drop the load ..", and then noted that all the bombers in the one group dropped their bombs, but only the lead bomber opened its bomb bay doors, so what is your issue again?
i added the mission file if u want to check it out. i mixed up groups and wings. so only two of the three wings dropped bombs...
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
Captain Orso

Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

Contrary to what was posted in the latest newsletter, from my experience, the AWA task for carpet bombing is not inherited from the leader to attached sub-groups within a box-formation, so I would hardly expect it to be inherited by sub-wings either.

I will have a look at it again though.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
Old 06-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #25
Captain Orso

First off, what in Real-Life™ would be a flight is an Airplane Group, or simply group, in the ME.

2. You have 4 groups, of which 2 have Country UK and 2 Country USA. Whether this has an affect on the way things work I don't know, but there's no reason for having mixed factions, so that should be fixed.

3. Your first group has Pos_In_Box Right, which is wrong. Since your first group "New Airplane Group" is you lead group it's Pos_In_Box is Leader.

4. All the other groups are at least following the correct group: GROUP New Airplane Group, but they all have Pos_In_Box is Leader. I'm surprised they didn't all just fly into each other and crash and burn.

5. The last waypoint you created is the carpet bombing waypoint. I'm surprised that it worked at all, but it did, although two of the other groups turned off to head for god only knows. But the two remaining groups did continue on to target and both groups dropped their bombs. Apparently that did work as described in the last newsletter.

I've fixed everything I mentioned above and ran the mission. All groups dropped their bombs. If you allow Labels and turn them on you can easily see that all bombers in all groups drop their bombs.
Attached Files
File Type: miz Normandy B17G Test 02 by rogonaut.miz (7.4 KB, 24 views)

System Specs.
Spoiler:
Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #26
rogonaut

rogonaut will become famous soon enoughrogonaut will become famous soon enough

i just followed the instructions on the newsletter more or less. i find the bomber stuff a bit confusing in the me i must say. your mission file will help me figure it out thx alot!
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #27
Racoon
ED Team

Reputation power: 4
Racoon is a jewel in the roughRacoon is a jewel in the roughRacoon is a jewel in the roughRacoon is a jewel in the roughRacoon is a jewel in the roughRacoon is a jewel in the roughRacoon is a jewel in the rough

Three reference missions from our AI programmer.
Attached Files
File Type: miz B_17_CombatBox.miz (9.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: miz B_17_Group_of_CombatBox.miz (11.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: miz B_17_Wing_of_CombatBox_stress.miz (18.1 KB, 35 views)
Racoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #28
arglmauf

Reputation power: 4
arglmauf is on a distinguished road

Philstyle and I have been fiddling around with the bombers lately. Phil was kind enough to record the occasion and publish it:

Problems we had:
Bombers facing backwards on spawn. This seems to be related to group placement. Switching around the position seemed to resolve it.
There was also a problem with keeping altitude when we added a landing waypoint at the end. With the waypoint added, they descended quite a lot after their bombing run.
arglmauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #29
Roblex

Roblex is on a distinguished road

I got it to work first time using basically the same method as you see on Phils video.

Built one box of B17s and set one waypoint about 20kms from the target and another a little beyond it then told it to carpet bomb which brings up a red marker that I placed over the target. I then added a box to the right and another to the left of the lead box and told them they were part of a bomber group and should follow the lead group (Task = Bomber Element' & Option='WW2 Big Formation' on all three groups). Yes they did inherit the command to carpet bomb. No need to instruct each box to bomb separately as they drop as soon as the lead bomber of the lead box drops (even if engine damage means they are miles behind) Every aircraft held its formation throughout the run and each box held its station relative to the lead box.

What I will say is that in some of the testing while on Speed-up I saw the subsiduary boxes go off on a bit of hi-jinks like children playing in the park running around their parents but as soon as they reached the WP before the drop they all dropped into the right formation again and behaved themselves throughout the drop. To stop this (as it makes them vulnerable to fighter attacks) I added Option = 'WW2 Bomber Element' to the lead box at every WP and it seemed to stop the hi-jinks. I did not have to do this for the subsiduary boxes as well because once linked to the lead box at WP 0 they do not have their own WPs any more. Phil does not do this in his video so maybe the behaviour is just random and it is coincidence it stopped. I saw that it is possible to tell the boxes to only follow the lead box as far as WP x at which point I suppose you start giving them WP of their own to follow. Might be useful if you want them to hit separate targets after the initial point then rejoin after dropping if the targets were close, eg buildings either side of a large airfield or town, or make their own way home if they were hitting widely spaced targets eg All fly together to a point North Of Caen then one group hits Caen while another splits away and hits Le Havre.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

Last edited by Roblex; 06-23-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Roblex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #30
Demon Den

Reputation power: 0
Demon Den is on a distinguished road

Total sim newbie here but getting there through forums, trial and error and lots of swearing. Thanks guys and girls.
Finally got bomber groups to drop their bombs but how does one get the formations to split again?
They obviously need their own waypoints but I'm totally flummoxed! They split at the appropriate waypoint but the following groups then go a bit wayward!
Also joining at a waypoint?
Demon Den is offline   Reply With Quote