"sound-radar"...official opinion on it? - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: whats your opinion about the "sound radar"?
i like it, please keep it 15 12.10%
i dont like it, dont think its realistic, please get rid of it 109 87.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
9./JG27 DavidRed+
Posting Rights Revoked

Reputation power: 0
9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice9./JG27 DavidRed is just really nice
Default "sound-radar"...official opinion on it?

hey guys. i know its been brought up quite a few times already, but never with an official statement on the matter.
i know from real life flying, that i cant hear another airplane taking off right next to me, when my engine is pretty much at idle.at least i cant remember that i've ever heard another aircraft as soon as my engine is running.

yet in dcs i can hear other aircraft often a couple of hundreds meters behind me, while i have the engine running at full revolutions.

i dont want to stir anything up here, but i would love to hear the opinion on that matter from some ED official, whether they think everything is ok as it currently is, or whether there will be some tuning in future.

thx in advance!
9./JG27 DavidRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #2
gavagai

Reputation power: 10
gavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9./JG27 DavidRed View Post
i dont want to stir anything up here, but i would love to hear the opinion on that matter from some ED official, whether they think everything is ok as it currently is, or whether there will be some tuning in future.
Yes please.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
JDarksword

Reputation power: 3
JDarksword is on a distinguished road

Agreed, would like to hear EDs and the communities thoughts.

The Potatoe rig: i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.
JDarksword is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
DefaultFace

DefaultFace can only hope to improveDefaultFace can only hope to improve

+1

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Solty

Reputation power: 8
Solty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the rough

I think that hearing any other airplane outside, is nearly impossible, especially with cannopy closed. The way that sound in DCS works makes suprise attacks hard, because mostly the enemy knows you are there, before you can actually start shooting.

At the same time, I would like the in cockpit sounds of guns and airframe (buffeting, hit sounds etc.)more pronounced. IRL the pilot has vibrations and feels impacts/shots. In game sound helps to mitigate that lack of feedback.

In conclusion, I would like to see the sound design reworked, so that we have more vivid sounds of our own airplane, while sounds outside the cockpit are nearly impossible to hear.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Krupi

Reputation power: 9
Krupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the rough

+1

Project IX Cockpit
Krupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Cool-Hand

Reputation power: 4
Cool-Hand has a spectacular aura aboutCool-Hand has a spectacular aura aboutCool-Hand has a spectacular aura about

This definitely needs some attention... I wish I could hear well enough to find other aircraft by sound at work
Old 11-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
Diesel

Diesel is on a distinguished road

+1
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 AM   #9
Rangi

Reputation power: 16
Rangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of lightRangi is a glorious beacon of light

I think these may make it difficult to turn and see/hear a bandit on your tail

Rangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:40 AM   #10
MAD-MM

Reputation power: 6
MAD-MM is a jewel in the roughMAD-MM is a jewel in the roughMAD-MM is a jewel in the roughMAD-MM is a jewel in the roughMAD-MM is a jewel in the roughMAD-MM is a jewel in the rough

+1

9./JG27
MAD-MM is offline   Reply With Quote