F-18 Cockpit Geometry

Crate57

Yes I have a pretty comprehensive paper McDonnell Douglas document MDC A4277-5 FA18A and TF/A18a Human Engineering Crew Station Design document.

Some samples:

f18stick.jpg

F18designeysml.jpg

Fa18pitdesign3.jpg

F18pitgeom_zpsdnlz4han.jpg

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So what is the max allowed height of a US. Navy pilot? I assume there is one, most fighter pilots tend to be short(ish)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

F-18 Cockpit Geometry

So what is the max allowed height of a US. Navy pilot? I assume there is one, most fighter pilots tend to be short(ish)

It's 6 foot 5 for an air force pilot and 6 foot 2 for a navy pilot

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Nice! Thank you, IvanK!

Do you also have the data on lateral stick movement by any chance? Any data on forces?

Attached Jpg illustrates range of Lateral travel. You can also see this on the plan form diagram in the original post this is the rectangle described as "Locus of SRP travel"

F18A_Lateralstick_zpsqz9k7ncu.jpg

As to stick forces. These vary as a function of G or AOA depending on where you are in the flight envelope the varying stick forces providing the pilot either G or AOA feedback. Some typical values from the NATOPS F18C manual state:

11.1.5 Stick Force. In maneuvering flight, there is a light but constant stick force per g (about 3.5 to

4.5 pounds/g). Unlike many other aircraft, maneuvering stick forces do not vary significantly over the

entire operating envelope as long as the AOA is less than AOA feedback of 22°. Where AOA feedback

is active, maneuvering stick forces are increased significantly.

The FCS incorporates AOA feedback above 22° AOA. To increase

AOA above the feedback AOA of 22°, aft stick must be applied. The AOA for the highest lift available

(CLmax) is approximately 35° AOA. The maximum steady state AOA with full aft stick (35 pounds

stick force) is 50 to 55°. AOA control is good up through max AOA. If the aft stick is released, the FCS

commands nose down pitch until the AOA is reduced below the feedback AOA of 22°. At this time, the

AOA feedback is removed and the FCS again seeks to maintain 1 g flight.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

About this document called "McDonnell Douglas document MDC A4277-5 FA18A and TF/A18a Human Engineering Crew Station Design" - I can't find it, and there are only a couple of references of it on the net (mostly to the older version, MDC A4277-4). Seems to be an internal thing to McDonnell Douglas, so it's really great that we got these scans with measurements!

I have cleaned up the images a bit and added measurement in millimetres (they are rounded to nearest millimetre), and uploaded them up on my Photobucket. I also made an aligned common image of all three views, but I'm not too sure about alignment of back view.

F18A%20Complete2_zpst8d0y7vs.jpg

F18A%20Left_zpsdlbcwpe1.jpg

F18A%20Top_zps6omp9pif.jpg

F18A%20Back_zps1nr79nln.jpg

F18A%20Stick_zpsrzthtbby.jpg

And since Photobucket compresses the images, I'm attaching the ZIP with better quality images:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18800395/F18A%20Dimensions.zip

• 7 months later...
can you please reupload the files, thanks

Hi, they are still there you just have to open his album on the site (and avoid the million ads opening :mad:)

album link

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 3 years later...