THE MOTION PICTURE THREAD

leafer

I love watching good movies as much as I love listening to music. We already have THE MUSIC THREAD so I figured 2015 is when this community start sharing their favorite fims or TV shows etc. Also we need to forget about EDGE for a few months. :D

My number 1 favorite sci-fi of all time is Europa Report.

cbw9hlBnG74

My second fav: District 9

bAQYsOrfDaY

K-Pax

UfcbshzkvUs

Gattaga

ZppWok6SX88

Moon

twuScTcDP_Q

The Arrival

1Wj3xn-8y0Q

The Iron Giant

85Gyokzpyzg

The last of the Mohicans (production looks silly as heck now but still a good film)

aMZtQhhS14w

And this, a movie where I fell in love with a movie. I was very, very young. :D

Some Kind of Wonderful

xlUkeCN3Eu4

Secretary (surprisingly very good movie...and naughty)

5kwyakTPolk

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love watching good movies as much as I love listening to music. We already have THE MUSIC THREAD so I figured 2015 is when this community start sharing their favorite fims or TV shows etc. Also we need to forget about EDGE for a few months. :D

Can't give you rep in this thread, but a big + from me for the holiday playlist.

Apocalypse Now

Not Top Gun - no, no, no - one of the worst movies ever made about military aviation, if not the very worst.

Baytown Outlaws

Dusk Till Dawn

Leon:The Professional

Strategic Air Command

Hell Ride

Battle of Britain

Apollo 13

Team America

Goodfellas

The Odd Angry Shot

Alien

Lord Of War

Battle:Los Angeles

Zulu

Dawn of the Dead

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Sheesh, guys, let's not spam this beautiful new thread with every movie we've ever liked. Take it slow. Build up the sensation. Make us want to watch a particular movie. Then we can keep this going for a long time without it getting boring. :music_whistling: :D

So here's what I have in mind...

The Final Countdown (1980)

Story: Through a mysterious storm, the Nimitz travels back in time and may have the chance to avert the attack on Pearl Harbor. Will the Captain re-write history?

Why it's great: At the time, it was the best footage of a Nimitz class carrier in cinema. Plus, Tomcats - need I say more? :D

Aside from some beautiful and very well shot flight scenes, the movie's story is amazing, posing some of the time-travel questions that "Back to the Future" also brought up. I'm sure the movie will catch you off guard with a few "Didn't see that coming" moments. It is well thought out, the actors are great and it's rich on suspense.

Oh, and did I mention Tomcats? :D

I have to watch Predestination!

Memento (one of my favorites of all time)

0vS0E9bBSL0

The Prestige

o4gHCmTQDVI

The Last Supper (old but very good dark comedy)

jNPSHydODoI

Shallow Grave

tNZrYoEWVt8

American History X

jXaZENPQrsw

Spirited Away (Damn good anime!)

6az9wGfeSgM

One Stormy Night (another brilliant anime)

eiXZkbhz4oY

84 Charlie Mopic (my favorite Vietnam war movie)

uQsGHslcZzo

Lockout (surprisingly good action film)

zLTOzu8N1Pg

The War Game (1965)

518384e89d18.jpg

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/118597/The_War_Game_1965/

The Day After (1983)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2B7sdLPMfc

Threads (1984)

[vv]18781528[/vv]

Letters from a Dead Man (1986)

e66307df95c6.jpg

“We should acknowledge the fact that the whole history of mankind is a history of a slow suicide of a living matter that by sheer accident acquired an ability to think, but that did not know what to do with this fateful ability. It could not find any better use for this ability than invention of the most effective ways of global suicide. From Judas’ rope to the latest neutron bomb, genetic, bacteriological and the devil knows what other weapons — an admirable progress, the triumph of the mind.”

Dead Snow (2009), Destination Tokyo, Torpedo Run (huge sub fanatic)..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Drama: The Deerhunter. numero uno of all time!

Sci Fi: Aliens (mind the 's')

Adventure: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Horror: Nightmare on Elm Street (dream warriors)

Comedy: Airplane! and' Fargo'.... and 'The Big Lebowski' can't decide which is 'best'.

Touchy-Feely: As Good as it Gets

Most atrocious movie eva!: Any Given Sunday (wow, what a stinker. I left after 15 minutes. 15 minutes too late)

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

In 1932 a motion picture was released that was so intense, graphic, and odd, that it was not shown at any theater, anywhere or in public at all for that matter until the late 1960's.

That is actually incorrect.

Tod Browning’s 1932 film, Freaks, has a long and interesting history with the BBFC. The film was allegedly inspired by Browning’s own recollections of circus life and the ‘sideshow freaks’ that often made up a part of the draw for circuses in those days. When the film was initially released it was greeted with revulsion and disgust by both the critics and the public and enjoyed only a very short cinema run in the United States before being withdrawn by MGM.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/case-studies/freaks

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Sunshine (love, love this one)

r8BSlqHAhuY

Source Code (and this)

NkTrG-gpIzE

In Time (I know..Timberlake as leading man, but Cillian Murphy is in it! - damn good sci-fi)

fdadZ_KrZVw

Snowpiercer

6IQfkuurFLg

Sucker Punch (panned by critics but critics are assholes)

MnF4SpS9gUw

Anonymous (what if Shakespeare was a fraud?)

uBmnkk0QW3Q

The Illusionist

SpIK6eqop18#t=45

Prisoners

bpXfcTF6iVk

I Love You Phillip Morris (very funny)

01dljIcgiMw

Oh and Predestination - Thanks Scarecrow! Awesome movie and I love Ethan Hawke.

Dead Poet Society

wrBk780aOis

Edited by leafer

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gents !

This is "Warriors", a movie about the war in Bosnia, which follows British soldiers of the UN peacekeeping force in their mission.

Very moving...

(No subtittles at all)

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4 GHz), Corsair Vengeance 2x4096 Mo DDR3 1866 MHz, SSD 120 Go Vertex 2, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4Go (04G-P4-2978-KR), TM HOTAS Warthog #03797 (MB replaced), Saitek Combat Pro Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM Cougar MFDs with Lilliput 8" UM 80

Killer Elite

I just watched "Killer Elite" and I'm sort of torn. It says in the opening sequence that it's based on real events but the Wikipedia article on the book it's based on claims that the author recently stated "It's all fiction".

Pros:

- Jason Statham, Robert De Niro, Clive Owen and quite a few other great actors

- a developing story; while not exactly original (by today's standards; it probably was in the early 90s), it does hold a few surprises

- great fighting scenes, especially hand-to-hand combat; IMO Statham is incredibly good at it and the movie really makes him and Owen look good

- the overall atmosphere matches the time frame IMO

Cons:

- too obvious mistakes by, well, the... (I'm hesitant to call them) protagonists

- pistol and rifle sounds seem weird

- too many larger-than-live characters

- not even a hint as to how ambushes and situations are set up in the planning stage

I think it's a movie worth watching, especially if you're into movies about assassins.

The "based on real events" disclaimer makes it appear more real; I simply can't judge whether there is any truth to this statement at all.

In any case, I don't consider these two hours wasted and I'll probably watch it again sometime.