What is the indicator below the slip ball? A bank indicator?

Poutine

Just wondering what that little white thing is that moves side to side (below #4) is.

I am given the impression that it is just a bank indicator showing which side (wing) is low.

Or is it something else

800px-A-10-adi-dcs.jpg

Jane's ATF Gold (1997), DCS World A-10C

M5A99Xevo, SAPPHIRE HD-7770-OC, AMD FX-6100, 8GB RAM, WIN7-64

TM HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR5, Sennheiser PC363D, MFD Cougar Pack, Samsung UHD U28D590D and Local Craft Beer

It is a rate of turn indicator. 1 needle width deflection = rate one turn which is a heading change of 3 degrees per second (ie a 180 degree turn in 1 min). Two width deflection = rate 2. Mainly used for IFR work or redundancy for the ADI.

The angle of bank to achieve a rate one turn changes with airspeed. A rough rule of thumb is your TAS/10 +7 = required AoB. So at 200kts, rate one = roughly 27 degrees AoB.

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

thx Kaiza for your excellent description. I couldn't find anything on it

That said my thinking was pretty close.

Jane's ATF Gold (1997), DCS World A-10C

M5A99Xevo, SAPPHIRE HD-7770-OC, AMD FX-6100, 8GB RAM, WIN7-64

TM HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR5, Sennheiser PC363D, MFD Cougar Pack, Samsung UHD U28D590D and Local Craft Beer

That's interesting....I saw somewhere else the formula was TAS/10 + TAS/20.

Whats interesting is the formula I have produces the exact same figure as yours but is done as follows:

TAS divided by 10 then added to 1/2 of that divided figure, ie.

230/10=23

23/2=11.5

23+11.5=34.5

Same as yours:

230/10=23

230/20=11.5

23+11.5=34.5

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

• 3 years later...
So is this instrument supposed to simply slide all the way to one side to do a rate 1 turn? I'm a little confused with what its supposed to look like for a correct Rate 1 and Rate 2 turn.

One needle WIDTH to either side. Rate 1 turn to the right means your needle is off to the right, about aligning with the black space/mark above it. In a rate 2 turn, your needle is off to the right 2 needle width, meaning about aligning with the white mark on the right side, above the needle.

I don't think it's 3 (rate 1) and 6 dps (rate 2). It should be 1.5 (half rate) and 3 dps (rate 1). Fast military jets, airliners, etc. doing standard rate is actually quite fast so often they revert to half rate for most IFR tasks.

I checked and 2 minute turn was the movable indicator kind of but not quite lined up with the static white band. I'm guessing that's what is intended (lined up = 2 minute) but DCS confused yaw rate with heading change rate (which are only equal when bank is 0).

1/2 rate (4 min turn) seems to be when the needle is lined up with the black band more or less.

Gauge info is sourced from HARS at all times.