DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
gavagai

Reputation power: 10
gavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the rough

Don't forget the P-47N. That thing had legs, though I'm not sure there were many IJA and IJN aircraft to shoot down at that point.
gavagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
Barrett_g

Reputation power: 6
Barrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura about

One of my favorite P-47 documentaries:

http://youtu.be/tTbMKVuijE8
Barrett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
trois-pas

Reputation power: 0
trois-pas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by westr View Post
Does anybody have the stats of P-47 air to air kills in the pacific. So far I can see that the P-47 shot down 3752 aircraft in Europe seriously impressive but it was mentioned that the P-47 shot down more aircraft than the Grumman Hellcat which from what I can see was credited with 5223 air to air kills in us navy and RN service and was a formidable fighter. I may be wrong as I can't find the stats of the P-47 in the pacific but I'm going to fight the hellcats corner until proven wrong.
Here's what i have from a french magazine (aero journal to name it). They made a special issue on the jug and the various units / country that flown her (for non french reader, palmares means roughly score, victoire means victory, ETO, PTO, etc are the theater of operation.)

The counting method is not detail (destroyed only ? Probably destroyed too. Ground kills ?) but a least, it can be use as a rule of thumb to weight the various theaters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P47.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	89502  
trois-pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #24
leafer
Veteran

Reputation power: 73
leafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to beholdleafer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett_g View Post

That was a good documentary. Thanks!
leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #25
theOden

Reputation power: 8
theOden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett_g View Post

Ohhh that's where "50 cal bounce up and kill Tiger Tank" comes from haha awesome (33+ minutes)

Otherswise very nice video, love the P47.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
White Owl

White Owl has a spectacular aura aboutWhite Owl has a spectacular aura aboutWhite Owl has a spectacular aura aboutWhite Owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOden View Post
Ohhh that's where "50 cal bounce up and kill Tiger Tank" comes from haha awesome (33+ minutes)

Otherswise very nice video, love the P47.
Haven't yet watched the documentary, but I recently read Hell Hawks, a kinda lightweight history of some P-47s before and after D-Day. In one interview, a Jug pilot said they attempted to ricochet bullets into the underside of a tank, but it didn't appear to have any effect. He did say they neutralized one Tiger with .50 fire by diving vertically and focusing fire on the engine vents, after which the engine smoked and the tank came to a halt. Once. It was far from common.

On the other hand, the book records several eye-witness accounts of flipping Tigers over by dropping delayed-fuse bombs immediately next to them. The bombs would imbed themselves a few feet underground before exploding, thus directing all the force upward. Imagine a bomb going off effectively underneath the Tiger's treads like a 1000 pound anti-tank mine. It'll lift the tank, sure thing.

So that's where the ridiculous stories of flipping tanks with machine guns come from; a confusion of separate stories like these.
White Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
hegykc

Reputation power: 12
hegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Owl View Post
He did say they neutralized one Tiger with .50 fire by diving vertically and focusing fire on the engine vents, after which the engine smoked and the tank came to a halt.
There was a thread some time ago, where somebody posted a picture of field improvised vent covers for the tanks. Apparently hot pieces of led would fall down the vents and ignite the filters or something like that.

To a 20 something pilot shooting at a tank, it might seem like the ricocheting worked.
hegykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
Barrett_g

Barrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura about

One of the things that stuck with me after watching that documentary was the radar controlled flak guns. I knew radar was a technology coming into its own towards the end of the war.... And I knew about the night fighters being developed with radar.... But I had no idea they had radar controlled flak guns.

I like the pilots description of the radar controlled flak guns at 25:50. How the radar waves would bleed over into the pilot's radio headsets.

I hope they develop this into the game. Instead of "lock on" tones it would be more of a static sound.

I'm reading "Hell Hawks!" Right now. What makes this book even more impressive is reading it after reading "56th Fighter Group."

In "56th Fighter Group" flying a Jug below 15,000 feet was described as almost a death sentence... I started reading "Hell Hawks!" And was astonished. Here these P-47's are, flying low over the hills... far below 15k... When they got jumped by FW-190's! I thought they were done for... But they were able to not only fend them off.. But usually win, and chase off the remaining planes.

I think this has to do with the difference in P-47 models. The 56th FG flew P-47C's early in the war... As it was developed it fixed a lot of its shortcomings.

Thankfully the P-47 in DCS WWII will be the P-47D-28. The "paddle prop" was standard on this model and it's climb rate was vastly improved over the older models.
Barrett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #29
Zag

Reputation power: 8
Zag is on a distinguished road

Hi, here's a video of a P-47 flight with a commentary from the pilot about flight characteristics. enjoy

Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
SlipBall

Reputation power: 7
SlipBall has a spectacular aura aboutSlipBall has a spectacular aura aboutSlipBall has a spectacular aura aboutSlipBall has a spectacular aura about

thanks!..very cool aircraft, can't wait
SlipBall is offline   Reply With Quote