DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Barrett_g
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
Reputation power: 6
Barrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
Alright, I'll add my $0.02.

The P-47 shot down more enemy aircraft than any other American fighter in WW2. That's right, more than the Mustang, Corsair, or Hellcat. The Jug was not merely a bomb truck. It had a higher service ceiling than any other American fighter, and the P-47M was the fastest piston engine fighter to serve in the ETO.

So there!
It had a higher service ceiling than any other allied fighter, faster top speed, and faster roll rate... Still trying to find the document that supported those figures.... But it read very much like the document I posted above... Most of the other fighters would jump out to an early lead... But once that turbo started pumping the P-47 would reel them in and leave them in the dust!

It'll be fun getting high above the battlefield and diving in on unsuspecting victims!
Barrett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
gavagai
Senior Member
 
gavagai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 1,924
Reputation power: 10
gavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the rough
Default

The faster roll rate might be more an artifact of pilot experiences. I haven't seen data that supports it, but the light stick forces of the P-47 could account for that opinion.
gavagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Mysticpuma
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 121
Reputation power: 7
Mysticpuma is a jewel in the roughMysticpuma is a jewel in the roughMysticpuma is a jewel in the roughMysticpuma is a jewel in the roughMysticpuma is a jewel in the roughMysticpuma is a jewel in the roughMysticpuma is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
That encounter is featured on "Dogfights" on an episode dedicated to the Thunderbolt.Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G79dkS7EzPY (For some reason I cant embbed it)

I was got mine out first and then I contacted the history Channel. There's came out about a year later...I always feel I had a contributing hand in that sequence
Mysticpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
trois-pas
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Reputation power: 0
trois-pas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post

The P-47 shot down more enemy aircraft than any other American fighter in WW2. etc ...
Was'nt that because 8th air force merged air and ground victory to encourage pilots to do a little "cleaning" on their way back to home ? I don't know if the same was done in the PTO.

BTW, the jug will definitively be my favorite ride in DCS WWII. The p51 will get all the love, but the P47 will get the job done
I only hope it will not be the free aircraft. It's not the best plane for a beginner. A free spitfire will be a far better "first step" to get new player into our hobby.
trois-pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Barrett_g
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
Reputation power: 6
Barrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura about
Default

It's looking like it will be the free plane. It got the most votes on the poll they conducted here earlier as it had a wider landing gear that will help newbies land and take off... It also has a tougher engine that will help newbies survive longer.

I'm fine with it being the free plane... Hopefully it'll open up people eyes and more people will come to love it for what it was capable of.
Barrett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
westr
Member
 
westr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: ESSEX, ENGLAND
Posts: 905
Reputation power: 10
westr is just really nicewestr is just really nicewestr is just really nicewestr is just really nicewestr is just really nicewestr is just really nicewestr is just really nicewestr is just really nice
Red face

Does anybody have the stats of P-47 air to air kills in the pacific. So far I can see that the P-47 shot down 3752 aircraft in Europe seriously impressive but it was mentioned that the P-47 shot down more aircraft than the Grumman Hellcat which from what I can see was credited with 5223 air to air kills in us navy and RN service and was a formidable fighter. I may be wrong as I can't find the stats of the P-47 in the pacific but I'm going to fight the hellcats corner until proven wrong.
westr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
Barrett_g
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
Reputation power: 6
Barrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
The faster roll rate might be more an artifact of pilot experiences. I haven't seen data that supports it, but the light stick forces of the P-47 could account for that opinion.
I think you're right.... I think the roll rate was surprising for how big the P-47 was... So it's more reletive.... But while searching I did find this document from when the RAF was testing an early model P-47:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...-47c-afdu.html

It basically says the P-47's roll rate was:

Comparable if not better than the Spit MK IX above 30k feet of altitude... Though the Spit had the edge down low.

Far superior than the Typhoon IB

Considerably better than the Mustang X

The P-38F doesn't really go into roll rates... But the P-38F out maneuvered the P-47C.

It's a pretty interesting read!
Barrett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Barrett_g
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
Reputation power: 6
Barrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura aboutBarrett_g has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westr View Post
Does anybody have the stats of P-47 air to air kills in the pacific. So far I can see that the P-47 shot down 3752 aircraft in Europe seriously impressive but it was mentioned that the P-47 shot down more aircraft than the Grumman Hellcat which from what I can see was credited with 5223 air to air kills in us navy and RN service and was a formidable fighter. I may be wrong as I can't find the stats of the P-47 in the pacific but I'm going to fight the hellcats corner until proven wrong.
I'll try to find data on this but I'm going to bet the Hellcat out scores the P-47 in the Pacific... The P-47 was just too limited due to its range. I also believe they flew more of an air-to-ground role.

Case in point: P-47's launched from aircraft carriers to Saipan. They landed at the recently captured flight line there and began CAS missions in support of Marine operations.

While P-47's were helping Marines fight tooth and nail across Saipan.. The Navy picked up large radar contacts and moved the carrier task force north to intercept.... The following battle was dubbed the "Marianna's Turkey Shoot." Hellcats scored in droves on that single air battle.

I hate that the Turkey Shoot is sooo popular in History... It makes finding any details on P-47 activity during that time very hard.

After some hard fought CAS missions, P-47's then aided in the capture of Tinian, where I believe they were the first to drop Napalm (at least in the Pacific... Not sure about Europe)

Here's a good read... And about the only information I can find on P-47's during the Marianas campaign... Due to the over shadowing Turkey Shoot:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eatdoubl...up.Saipan.html
Barrett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
mvsgas
Veteran
 
mvsgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 6,700
Reputation power: 158
mvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud of
Default

As a former Aircraft Mechanic, I love this video of the P-47
__________________
Quote:
The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits.
Frank Chubba from the book Palace Cobra.

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
Sharpe
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 185
Reputation power: 7
Sharpe has a spectacular aura aboutSharpe has a spectacular aura aboutSharpe has a spectacular aura aboutSharpe has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett_g View Post
I'll try to find data on this but I'm going to bet the Hellcat out scores the P-47 in the Pacific... The P-47 was just too limited due to its range. I also believe they flew more of an air-to-ground role.

Case in point: P-47's launched from aircraft carriers to Saipan. They landed at the recently captured flight line there and began CAS missions in support of Marine operations.

While P-47's were helping Marines fight tooth and nail across Saipan.. The Navy picked up large radar contacts and moved the carrier task force north to intercept.... The following battle was dubbed the "Marianna's Turkey Shoot." Hellcats scored in droves on that single air battle.

I hate that the Turkey Shoot is sooo popular in History... It makes finding any details on P-47 activity during that time very hard.

After some hard fought CAS missions, P-47's then aided in the capture of Tinian, where I believe they were the first to drop Napalm (at least in the Pacific... Not sure about Europe)

Here's a good read... And about the only information I can find on P-47's during the Marianas campaign... Due to the over shadowing Turkey Shoot:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eatdoubl...up.Saipan.html
let's start a little earlier then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/348th_Fighter_Group
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.