Tips for A2A on Georgian Campaign Mission 2?

sze5003

I'm enjoying this campaign so far but I found out I'm not too good at air to air in the F15C compared to the Mirage. I seem to only spot the first 2 SU-29's when they are about 40 miles by me even though I was scanning with 80 miles and they should have been showing up on my radar. They did show up on the RWR first.

By the time I try to engage one, I don't have the authority yet from Magic and this puts me out of the patrolling border I think because I keep getting shot or exploding randomly, probably from the other 4 planes somewhere near by.

I manage to shoot off an Aim120 when I'm told I can engage and by that time he shot a missile at me so I can't keep my nose on him to guide the Aim120 until the -T counts down. I try and evade but get killed shortly.

Any tips or recommendations if anyone has played this campaign? At one point i shot both SU-29's down but then I was shot down by the 3-4 Fulcrums right as Magic was telling me to RTB and anchor at waypoint 3...so frustrating that was.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Set the pulse repetition frequency to high. It works best for bandits coming at you hot. Since you get the bearing from AWACS, you can also narrow down the scanzone so you can do faster scans. Make sure to set the antenna elevation appropiately.

Make sure to tell your wingman to turn his radar on, and when the cleared hot command comes, tell him to "engage bandits" or "engage my enemy" so he can help you win the encounter.

You can lock up both bandits at the same time using TWS, and guide AMRAAMs towards both of them at the same time.

Although it is ideal, you don't have to guide the AMRAAMs all the way to pitbull. If you drop the lock, the AIM-120's will remember the last calculated spot and go active there anyway.

You can study the map and reference the river to the border, so you don't accidently enter Abkhazian airspace.

When the shooting starts, make sure to drop your fuel bags, and be as high and fast as reasonably possible when you launch your slammers.

Check my F-15C guide

Thanks for the advice Sryan I've also been going through your guide too, very helpful.

I normally only set scan zone up and down on my hotas and don't use left and right. I have the little nub on the warthog throttle to slew and that also moves my scan zone a bit too.

I can pick them up on the radar faster if I dip close to 20k ft though so I'll climb more once I lock them. I'll focus on firing two missiles then quickly turn and climb or dive the opposite direction to try and avoid their missiles.

• Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

99.99% sure this is not implemented in DCS. It'll just fly dumb and scan for targets.
Yea it may not be implemented, I'm not sure. I tried this with two missiles. Shot them off as soon as I had the go ahead from AWACS. Quickly banked left and dove down like 10k ft. 2 minutes later I just explode so I watch the missiles I shot. One went straight toward the ground. The other one hit one of the SU's or one of the Fulcrums. It did take a while though, despite the countdown being at 15 seconds for the missile. Pretty sure that 15 seconds expired while I was freaking out trying to evade lol. Looking at the mission briefing at the end shows me shooting the missile and then a minute or so later down the log I see that I hit at least one. Of course I always get one hit but it's after I'm already dead.

Frostie :megalol:

You might be looking at the impact timer. It's also most likely that it's someone else hitting you, not the ones you're looking at. You should get tacview, offline you won't even have to bother with replaying tracks as I think it'll just record it on the fly. Until then it's hard to say what is or isn't happening.

Frostie :megalol:

You might be looking at the impact timer. It's also most likely that it's someone else hitting you, not the ones you're looking at. You should get tacview, offline you won't even have to bother with replaying tracks as I think it'll just record it on the fly. Until then it's hard to say what is or isn't happening.

Hmm good idea. I'll get tackview. I've been trying this mission so many times and I've always had a good time with baltic's missions. The first timer is the pitbull countdown and then it's the impact timer. By the time I am allowed to fire I just shot them off while I had the lights on in the top part if the cockpit and quickly evaded.

I've tried waiting until both timers expire by keeping nose on but that doesn't end well. You are right I believe I'm getting messed up from the other 4 Fulcrums hitting me.

I also avoid turning the ECM on because then I can't lock them up and all I see is them jamming me when trying to acquire the target. I also read that ecm does give away your location.

Well I finally finished it. Shot of two aim 120s and then turned and dove.

My wingman died though. I was able to shoot down one fulcrum with first two missiles then I had to loop around for the two migs and I eventually got them.

Tacview really helped me view the area and showed how I was barreling head on for the enemies haha.

Precisely why I opened this thread. I did finish it but my wingman got killed.

After leaving WP3 orbit, move to WP4 where you get the call from Magic two ship 29 and maybe three ship 24, then turn to 291 and start climbing to 41000 feet. After, open radar and start searching in HPRF with predicted target range reduced and in the altitude band of 17-35,000 getting F7 updates from AWACS. It is important to climb and reduce speed than climb with speed. Once at 41,000 reduce speed to 200-250 kts and make every effort to have your wingman with his radar ON while yours is OFF. He will provide you a contact report so you can aim your radar.

Once detected, lock in TWS and you should see them fan out all five of them. Take the two on the right not the left. Then once the shouting of getting fired upon happens, order wingman to shoot at your target. Now climb again until 41,000 if you can manage it and turn on launch authorized, fire two or three 120s to force bandits to notch and lose altitude, this helps your wingman and keeps their radar down. Get on the second bandit when wingman takes over the first one.

I'm enjoying this campaign so far but I found out I'm not too good at air to air in the F15C compared to the Mirage. I seem to only spot the first 2 SU-29's when they are about 40 miles by me even though I was scanning with 80 miles and they should have been showing up on my radar. They did show up on the RWR first.

By the time I try to engage one, I don't have the authority yet from Magic and this puts me out of the patrolling border I think because I keep getting shot or exploding randomly, probably from the other 4 planes somewhere near by.

I manage to shoot off an Aim120 when I'm told I can engage and by that time he shot a missile at me so I can't keep my nose on him to guide the Aim120 until the -T counts down. I try and evade but get killed shortly.

Any tips or recommendations if anyone has played this campaign? At one point i shot both SU-29's down but then I was shot down by the 3-4 Fulcrums right as Magic was telling me to RTB and anchor at waypoint 3...so frustrating that was.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Precisely why I opened this thread. I did finish it but my wingman got killed.

After leaving WP3 orbit, move to WP4 where you get the call from Magic two ship 29 and maybe three ship 24, then turn to 291 and start climbing to 41000 feet. After, open radar and start searching in HPRF with predicted target range reduced and in the altitude band of 17-35,000 getting F7 updates from AWACS. It is important to climb and reduce speed than climb with speed. Once at 41,000 reduce speed to 200-250 kts and make every effort to have your wingman with his radar ON while yours is OFF. He will provide you a contact report so you can aim your radar.

Once detected, lock in TWS and you should see them fan out all five of them. Take the two on the right not the left. Then once the shouting of getting fired upon happens, order wingman to shoot at your target. Now climb again until 41,000 if you can manage it and turn on launch authorized, fire two or three 120s to force bandits to notch and lose altitude, this helps your wingman and keeps their radar down. Get on the second bandit when wingman takes over the first one.

Yea I scanned your thread and I missed the spoiler part. Actually that could have helped me. I stayed at an altitude of 29k and in order for me to find them past 40 miles I had to dip to an altitude of 22k first, find them and lock them on radar in tws mode so they don't get a warning lock. Then I climbed to 30k while heading straight on.

Once I got the launch authorization I shot off two missiles, banked and dove straight down and then at an angle. In tacview I saw that I made the right decision turning and diving because the missile lost me just as I finished my turn.

Not sure how the radar was before I got this module but from the looks of that thread, it may have changed a bit and it seems to be more sensitive than the mirage. Scan zone left and right does not seem to do much, except move the two circles bear the bottom corners and I unassigned that from my hotas because I mainly use scan zone up and down. My tdc slew also changes the altitude of the bars on the left side that deal with altitude so you have to be slow with the slew.

Yea I scanned your thread and I missed the spoiler part. Actually that could have helped me. I stayed at an altitude of 29k and in order for me to find them past 40 miles I had to dip to an altitude of 22k first, find them and lock them on radar in tws mode so they don't get a warning lock. Then I climbed to 30k while heading straight on.

Once I got the launch authorization I shot off two missiles, banked and dove straight down and then at an angle. In tacview I saw that I made the right decision turning and diving because the missile lost me just as I finished my turn.

Not sure how the radar was before I got this module but from the looks of that thread, it may have changed a bit and it seems to be more sensitive than the mirage. Scan zone left and right does not seem to do much, except move the two circles bear the bottom corners and I unassigned that from my hotas because I mainly use scan zone up and down. My tdc slew also changes the altitude of the bars on the left side that deal with altitude so you have to be slow with the slew.

You misunderstand how the VSD works. TDC can affect your azimuth angle if you're in narrow scan (+-30) RWS or TWS, but it won't affect the elevation ever. The elevation you can only control by the elevation control itself. The altitude numbers on the VSD explain what altitudes you're covering where the TDC is. Obviously the further out it is the larger it'll be.

In general the radar is pretty reliable in the 15. It can take some nerves to wait until a zone is fully scanned in the middle of the heat though. Sometimes you end up looking everywhere and still not seeing the guy because you weren't patient enough.

I agree you do have to be patient with the radar. Things don't show up immediately and when I first did this mission I felt like I had gotten lost for the longest time because nothing was showing up.

I need to go through Sryan's combat guide again and read more carefully about the radar functionality. I'm glad I finally got past that mission, man did I play that one about a hundred times!

You misunderstand how the VSD works. TDC can affect your azimuth angle if you're in narrow scan (+-30) RWS or TWS, but it won't affect the elevation ever. The elevation you can only control by the elevation control itself. The altitude numbers on the VSD explain what altitudes you're covering where the TDC is. Obviously the further out it is the larger it'll be.

In general the radar is pretty reliable in the 15. It can take some nerves to wait until a zone is fully scanned in the middle of the heat though. Sometimes you end up looking everywhere and still not seeing the guy because you weren't patient enough.

Your data on the TDC not effecting elevation is a bit inaccurate. If you have elevation mapped to an analog control then the TDC does indeed cause elevation shifts.

Your data on the TDC not effecting elevation is a bit inaccurate. If you have elevation mapped to an analog control then the TDC does indeed cause elevation shifts.
I have mine mapped to the TM warthog nub on the throttle. It's an axis but I do see the elevation shift a bit when I move the tdc.

Sze, your RADAR emits in a cone from your aircraft.

The closer to you a point in space is, the more narrow the slice of vertical space you are able to scan. The altitude "shift" you see as you move the TDC is reflecting this.

Antenna elevation ("Scan zone up" and "Scan zone down") is an independent control and is crucial for detecting close targets at disparate altitudes.

Edited by feefifofum