DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

Why do people insist on saying "the correct way" - the answer is, it depends on which country you are in.

So the question should be "the correct way for "insert country's" pilots to say...."

I believe that NATO/US use the same set in a similar manner. Outside of that sphere, I imagine it could be different.

But not only country but potentially era as well, when you think about it. Ran across this the other day: Glossary of RAF WWII code names.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

looks like R-77 to me

Hi guys,

Watch this video and do not pay attention to the landing maneuver. What I want to ask is .. What kind of missiles are mounted on the central part under the aircraft? Are these weapons A2G or A2A weapons? Will the Su-33 soon receive this new weapon?

I would say this is medium air to air R77.

I think it is not new.

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Hi guys,

Watch this video and do not pay attention to the landing maneuver. What I want to ask is .. What kind of missiles are mounted on the central part under the aircraft? Are these weapons A2G or A2A weapons? Will the Su-33 soon receive this new weapon?

We don't have that weapon in 1.5.7 or 2.1 (I looked through the encyclopedia three times). It's definitely not an R-77. It does look similar to the R-33 but it's not that either. They could be from a mod of some kind. I can't say for sure though.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Ok, thanks for the info!

Intel i9-13900K, @5.8GHz, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, 32GB DDR5 6200 DomPlatinum, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24G, LG 48GQ900-B, 4x 2TB Crucial P5plus M2 SSD NVME, 1x 500GB WD SN850 SSD NVME ,Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1650W ATX 3.0 , Windows 11 Pro, Corsair AiO H170i LCD RGB, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, VPC Mongoos T-50CM3 Base, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar, MFG CROSSWIND, Corsair K95 Platinum, Sennheiser G 600, Roccat Kone Mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why the gun kill would be unrealistic ... as for surviving an R-60 hit ... it's a small warhead, but so are the ones in MANPADs so, who knows. I'd say shouldn't be likely.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes. Possible on both counts. However I would expect such survival an exception and not rule. Downing though is likely - even with throwing a wild goose at it :)

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 3 weeks later...
Is pitbull the same thing as mad dog

There's a difference.

Pitbull: The AIM-120 that had been platform guided is now tracking using its own active guidance.

Maddog: An AIM-120 is tracking using its own guidance without the initial platform guidance.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

There's a difference.

Pitbull: The AIM-120 that had been platform guided is now tracking using its own active guidance.

Maddog: An AIM-120 is tracking using its own guidance without the initial platform guidance.

So pitbull means your aircraft gave it guidance to the vicinity of the target, while maddog means your aircraft dropped lock and the missile just flew to the targets last known pos?

One more question, at what point does fox 1/3 long, become fox 1/3 medium and fox 1/3 short

No.

What IH said is accurate for in-game. The real deal is more complex (As I understand/remember it)

MADDOG: Missile launched without any initial guidance.

CHEAPSHOT: Missile platform guidance terminated before HUSKY (missile is inertial until HUSKY)

HUSKY: Missile guided to HPRF range (N/A DCS)

PITBULL: Missile guided to MPRF range

In-game we have MADDOG, some form of CHEAPSHOT and PITBULL.

As for long/medium/short, who knows :) You could always take the stated 30nm range and divide it into three bands :)

So pitbull means your aircraft gave it guidance to the vicinity of the target, while maddog means your aircraft dropped lock and the missile just flew to the targets last known pos?

One more question, at what point does fox 1/3 long, become fox 1/3 medium and fox 1/3 short

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I don't see why the gun kill would be unrealistic ... as for surviving an R-60 hit ... it's a small warhead, but so are the ones in MANPADs so, who knows. I'd say shouldn't be likely.

It's possible to survive the R-60, and happened in real life in Angola 1987, you can find the info in the link below

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2011-12-09-dreamwings-a-paraplegic-pilots-hope-of-circumnavigating-the-world-for-reconciliation/#.WahNjD7yhQI

• 1 month later...

Newbie question please help!!Constant pitch up issue

Hi there, Just started playing FC3 (used to play the original Su-27 (1995 on CD ROM!!-still have the disc)

Anyway, why does the Su27 constantly pull up even if stick is in neutral? I attempt to trim but this has no effect? Any help much appreciated?

Hi there, Just started playing FC3 (used to play the original Su-27 (1995 on CD ROM!!-still have the disc)

Anyway, why does the Su27 constantly pull up even if stick is in neutral? I attempt to trim but this has no effect? Any help much appreciated?

Not sure why this happens but it's common with all Russian aircraft. You need to apply a LOT of trim, like a LOT

Just started playing DCS and bought FC3 yesterday. HOTAS coming on Monday (yes, this is my first sim). Anyone have any advice for a total newbie flying Su-27s, F-15s and such? Are the training missions enough? Will I need other resources for training, or just practice?

Hi and welcome. I would add watching utube vids to the training you will need..there is a lot of very good stuff posted. I would also recommend accepting that your HOTAS and the key bindings etc will evolve as you go...a lot of trial and error till you find what works for you. If your HOTAS is programmable...the more you can get done using it...and the less you need the keyboard the better...especially with Fighters. Enjoy...

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X Formula

Intel i7- 8700K 4.8ghz

Asus GTX 2080ti OC edition

64 Gb RAM at 3200mhz

Kraken X 72 cooler

Samsung CHG90 monitor at 144 htz

DCS on M.2 drive 500 Gb

Just started playing DCS and bought FC3 yesterday. HOTAS coming on Monday (yes, this is my first sim). Anyone have any advice for a total newbie flying Su-27s, F-15s and such? Are the training missions enough? Will I need other resources for training, or just practice?

Stick with the F15 first and do not move on to any other plane until you have mastered it. The reason is that the F15 is a very simple plane and the concepts of air to air combat are much easier to learn in the F15

Learn the F15s systems and know them like the back of your hand. Especially the radar. But don't just learn how the f-15s radar works, learn how all radars work so that you can take those Concepts and fly any plane well.

Then, I'd personally move on to learning air to air combat concepts. The two main concepts you will need to know are 1. BVR (Beyond Visual Range) fighting and 2. dog fighting.

BVR fighting itself encloses concepts like notching, cranking, etc that you'll eventually learn.

Here's a guide I made a while back which will show you the basics of the F15s radar, missiles, and one or two other systems:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0dIEqC5xR4D7hJAcrOqpNr66E2x_06Z0cVt9drneqU/edit?usp=drivesdk

Hi and welcome. I would add watching utube vids to the training you will need..there is a lot of very good stuff posted. I would also recommend accepting that your HOTAS and the key bindings etc will evolve as you go...a lot of trial and error till you find what works for you. If your HOTAS is programmable...the more you can get done using it...and the less you need the keyboard the better...especially with Fighters. Enjoy...

Well I find there aren't a wealth of YT vids about DCS which is surprising to me. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. And yes my HOTAS has a few buttons, not many though.

Stick with the F15 first and do not move on to any other plane until you have mastered it. The reason is that the F15 is a very simple plane and the concepts of air to air combat are much easier to learn in the F15

Learn the F15s systems and know them like the back of your hand. Especially the radar. But don't just learn how the f-15s radar works, learn how all radars work so that you can take those Concepts and fly any plane well.

Then, I'd personally move on to learning air to air combat concepts. The two main concepts you will need to know are 1. BVR (Beyond Visual Range) fighting and 2. dog fighting.

BVR fighting itself encloses concepts like notching, cranking, etc that you'll eventually learn.

Here's a guide I made a while back which will show you the basics of the F15s radar, missiles, and one or two other systems:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0dIEqC5xR4D7hJAcrOqpNr66E2x_06Z0cVt9drneqU/edit?usp=drivesdk

Was planning on starting with the Su-27, but sure I'll go with the F-15 first. What would you describe as having "mastered" the F-15, cause in game communities that can mean hundreds of hours. I do want to learn the other planes too :)

As for concepts, I know quite a bit being a military aviation nerd (isn't anyone who plays DCS) so I know some stuff about rmax, NEZ and for dogfighting, energy, and I know some ACM (can't figure out the OODA loop though). But I haven't heard about cranking and notching so I'll have a look at those.

I'll make sure to read your guide after I've done the tutorial missions for the F-15, so I can refine and improve my knowledge.

Thanks to both of you for the advice and help :thumbup:

But I haven't heard about cranking and notching so I'll have a look at those.

Notching is the concept that if you're being locked by an enemy radar, and you are below and perpendicular to the radar source, it will lose lock. What HOTAS you got?

Notching is the concept that if you're being locked by an enemy radar, and you are below and perpendicular to the radar source, it will lose lock. What HOTAS you got?

Ah, so exploiting the doppler effect then. That's the only claimed effective combat use of the cobra lol.

I got the "beginner" Thrustmaster HOTAS X.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194594

• 2 weeks later...

Few questions:

1. When you fire an R-77 in the MiG's TWS mode, does it work the same way as the F-15, where the enemy only gets a RWR notification at the missiles pitbull? Or do they get a RWR warning when you launch the missile, instead of at pitbull?

2. If an Su-27 or MiG is in IRST and it fires a radar-guided missile, will the radar automatically turn on?

Few questions:

1. When you fire an R-77 in the MiG's TWS mode, does it work the same way as the F-15, where the enemy only gets a RWR notification at the missiles pitbull? Or do they get a RWR warning when you launch the missile, instead of at pitbull?

2. If an Su-27 or MiG is in IRST and it fires a radar-guided missile, will the radar automatically turn on?

1 the TWS mode of the MIG-29S is the same as the MIG-29A/G and SU-27 one, it isn t a TWS mode like the F-15 at all, not even like m-2000C TWS mode. It is just a mode in which your antenna will follow your unlocked target until it comes inside max launch range, then it will lock the target in STT so that you can fire your missiles.

The target will alway get a launch RWR warning immediatly.

2 i have just tried it, and yes it works, the radar will turn on as you fire your R-27ER/R.

PS : DCS consideration only

Edited by Vilab

I don't know how its modelled in the game at the moment, but in the real aircraft it should work similar to TWS in the F-15.

The MiG-29S'(again the real one) N019M radar supposedly got an extra add-on TWS mode called "SNP2", in which two out of up to 10 tracked contacts can be "bugged" and prioritised as primary and secondary target. Once launch parameters are met for the primary target, it can be engaged with an R-77/RVV-AE directly from SNP2(without transitioning to STT) and if parameters are met for the secondary target, it can be engaged while the first launched missile is on route to primary target - i.e. simultaneous engagement of two targets from TWS.

When the target gets a warning is debateable - since the opposing radar isn't

operating in SST, it won't get a lock warning until the inflight missile's ARH seeker locks on. But its RWR might be able to detect the opposing aircraft radar starting to transmit midcourse guidance update at the point of launch.

In regards to question no 2;

I am not sure exactly how it works with the MiG-29S - theoretically an R-77 could be launched with only an IRST lock(angular coordinates) if the target is within range of the missiles own ARH seeker at that point. But I guess this depends on the level of R-77 integration performed with the modified WCS/radar of the MiG-29S.

But for the "baseline" MiG-29 and Su-27, the radar will automatically switch on if the selected missile is an R-27R/ER - this is necessary in order to support SARH seeker operation.

Edited by Alfa

JJ