tree system does not work.

• ED Team

hope it goes well for you, the gtx 1060 seems like the better option I think

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Right. In your case GTX 1080 is giving you your high frame rate. Hopefully P4K, once it arrives, will give that.

I have Keppler architecture GPU, which is only may be 25%-30% faster , perhaps less depending on application, then Fermi architecture.

Unfortunately, my current rig, a legacy platform, has PCI-X 2.0 , and 400 watt(maybe) power supply. 1070Ti, 1080, 1080Ti, TitanXp all require power supplies that start, at minimum, at 600 watts. Two 1080Ti or two P4000 running in SLI require 850 or more watt power supply. So I cannot upgrade my current rig without effectively rebuilding it, and I see no reason for that. My mainboard is IvyBridge and I7-3770K is fastest CPU it can take. PCI-X 2.0 may, in likelyhood, prevent any GPU with PCI-X 3.0 bus, from operating at its maximum performance. Memory is maxed out, and power supply is 400 watt proprietary (HP). I am exploring a possiblity of replacing K4000 with either GTX 1060 or Quadro P2000. Those boards are highest that my rig can power, and PCI-X step down from 3 to 2 is un unknown quantity .

Power supplies aren't terribly expensive.. even a fully modular Gold+ power supply runs about $90-$150 USD depending on wattage. One that isn't modular will likely be half that price range. I mean...yeah you have to get in there and unplug wires and replug wires but I wouldn't quite compare it to "rebuilding the entire system"

PCI-E 2.0 - 3.0 doesn't make a huge difference if using only one video card ime. And your i7 3770K is fine.. at the most, if playing at lower resolutions (like 1080p) you might see a benefit in clock speeds above 4ghz provided the the gpu is a higher end maxwell or 1060 or above (with DCS in mind anyway), which is likely achievable with aftermarket copper heatsink/fan or an AIO liquid cooling unit. At higher resolutions the GPU becomes the determining factor in performance.

So basically... the cost of a gpu upgrade + the cost of even a cheap PSU and a little time reading guides on how to OC the i7 3770k (which should be well out of warranty by now) would feel like a brand new system. and IMO a single GPU solution has more value than SLI just due to the fact that SLI isn't universally supported in the development world. I.E. - the best single card you can afford will likely provide the best overall performance and ability to last at least a couple generations.

'Tis the nature of the beast that is "PC gaming". Developers create the need for faster hardware as time progresses. By the time nVidia releases their next consumer line of graphics cards (hopefully sometime this year) 4k res and higher resolution VR headsets may become the new mainstream. For the most part though, a PSU could well last you through several system builds, as well as harddrives and/or GPU. And you dont have to buy every part at once. Prices become less intimidating when you buy a piece here and there when you can afford it.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

PCI-E 2.0 - 3.0 doesn't make a huge difference if using only one video card ime.

And ya ain't just sayin' it ;) A case in point: I had my GTX980 in a v2.0 slot for ages, since I honestly thought my mobo only supports PCIe v2. Well not really :doh: So after having perused the manual again, I found out that there's actually a v3 slot in there too! So yah, duly switched the card over... but nah - no perceptible speed difference noticed. But YMMV still, better check it out yirselves ;)

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

OK, I just had an amazing performance increase and I did not do anything except..

Still my legacy I7-3770K, K4000. etc..

All I did is change resolution from 2560X1440 to 1920X1080, keeping shadows, deferred shading, default terrain object shadows, trees at 60%. vis to Medium.

My FPS jumped to avg 36 in NTTR with 45 FPS high. and 28 FPS in Caucass with 36 FPS high. I can live with that.

• ED Team
OK, I just had an amazing performance increase and I did not do anything except..

Still my legacy I7-3770K, K4000. etc..

All I did is change resolution from 2560X1440 to 1920X1080, keeping shadows, deferred shading, default terrain object shadows, trees at 60%. vis to Medium.

My FPS jumped to avg 36 in NTTR with 45 FPS high. and 28 FPS in Caucass with 36 FPS high. I can live with that.

The performance gain here is because your card is not powerful enough to handle the large resolutions.

I have been using my GTX1080 on a 49" 4k tv and still getting 60+ frames.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

trees at 60%

How about you fly over the forests and actually see how big is the trees setting hit on performance? You can pause and move the slider in option during the fligth.

You expect way too much from this card - K4000. It's currently the only bottleneck you have on your system. And you are wrong about your performance calculations. It does not work like that.

@eaglecash867: No blood pressure risen on this side. Sorry if it sounded like that. It just seemed like really bad idea. On the current beta state - people tend to forget that often and going all angry on devs or buying new hardware suddenly for no reason.

Do the trees pop up even with extreme visibility and preload on max? If they do it's probably a fault on the dev side. Or does it happen only on VR?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria