Can't trim plane

Flying the P51 and I cant trim for level flight so first and foremost can anyone else trim for level flight and can post a video?I ask this here because there are some peeps that will just shoot any idea you have down so fast you wont even be able to do it yourself by overheating.

When I try to trim it doesn't zero out the plane so it flies trimmed but rather just makes plane move in opposite to direction I am trimming from.

I have a few theories as to why that is.megalol.gif

First is that the trim is too drastic and that it could use a slight nerf to amount stick is moved per press of trim button.No matter how fast and light I tap the trim button it seems to not zero out but instead move plane in opposite direction.

Second is that there is just too much trim change in the DCS model meaning any of the tiniest changes in speed will cause a change in trim state.Its like planes are too dynamic and the tiniest input of stick or power or speed causes a change that is too drastic.

Ok all you experts tear this apart:doh:

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

Seems I can pretty much trim hands off when I bind the trim aileron and pitch to the two rotaries on my X55 throttle.This makes me think that my first theory was correct in that the button presses are too drastic as I put curvature to 50% on both rotaries which reduced the sensitivity I can trim with and I can now trim level.

I must say that this is superb now and I am so close to controls perfection!! The X55 rotaries have a center notch and this is a great starting point to trim.Easy to quickly know if trim wheels are centered for landing/takeoff etc. Yes I could just press T to recenter trim but then my rotaries are not centered and this feels more real biggrin.gif

Edited by wolfstriked

Rotaries are indeed a great way to set up trim as it matches what is actually in the aircraft. I do not have the extra axises on my setup so I use a hat switch. With very brief pushes I can get fine enough trim inputs to settle the mustang.

One thing to remember though is that even the real mustang must be watched as she is not the type of aircraft that can be flown hands off for extended periods of time.

for me p-51 is most trimable plane in dcs if just fly very stable in level fligh.

but remember dont use aileron trim

but elevator trim is too sensitive for me if comes to button trim operation

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I find if the aircraft is out of trim in roll because of asymmetric fuel loading, then using the mouse to apply a bit of aileron trim using the in-the-virtual-cockpit trim wheel quite accurate; cruise only mind - bit tough in the midst of a dogfight!

I find if the aircraft is out of trim in roll because of asymmetric fuel loading, then using the mouse to apply a bit of aileron trim using the in-the-virtual-cockpit trim wheel quite accurate; cruise only mind - bit tough in the midst of a dogfight!

yes during fligh pilot should switch left/right tanks to keep weight balance if remember that return line form carb is connected to left tank and its pumping about 10galons per hour in to left tank

i think that draining left tank to almost 0 and at the same time keep full right tank it will handicap turning capablities i think :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Indeed graf, but all too often I'm bumbling along minding my own business when all of a sudden "gosh, that left wing feels a bit heavy...."

Just because you should switch tanks every 15 minutes doesn't necessarily mean I always remember to!

I'll stand by my statement that you should rarely need aileron trim. If it is because you are not switching tanks, you are not learning from your mistakes and that is on you. If you want the best from the mustang, you have to keep it balanced.

i thin in case of strong cross wind aileron trim is required but first ball center than aileron

HA never even knew about switching the tanks to balance,thanks for the tip.

yeap, no inter connectors between left right tank, even drop tanks arent connected so you have to switch left right to not create weigh disbalance.

but thank fully DCS dont have problem in drop tanks disbalance :) anymore :P

Edited by grafspee

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if I can tweak an ini file somewhere to change the amount of stick movement per button press? I find that I need the axis knobs for other stuff and would rather just have trim as nutton presses but again it moves the stick toomuch per each press.

Does anyone know if I can tweak an ini file somewhere to change the amount of stick movement per button press? I find that I need the axis knobs for other stuff and would rather just have trim as nutton presses but again it moves the stick toomuch per each press.

yes its common for all warbirds lack of precision.

in recent patch spitfire got fix for this now rudder trim buttons are cranking rudder knob very slowly and precise i would like that this fix to go to every other warbird or even every plane in dcs.

for fine trimming in p-51 i use mouse scroll this is more precise but it still not cranking it smoothly

I saw the post about the spit and that is nice that they fixed it but it now opens the problem of being too slow.Maybe change it where one press and hold is super slow for fine tuning.To make it go faster you double tap and then hold.Programming change takes time so.....

for me p-51 is most trimable plane in dcs if just fly very stable in level fligh.

but remember dont use aileron trim

but elevator trim is too sensitive for me if comes to button trim operation

Good point, you want to trim rudder to center the ball. Rarely will you need to use aileron trim.

I'll stand by my statement that you should rarely need aileron trim. If it is because you are not switching tanks, you are not learning from your mistakes and that is on you. If you want the best from the mustang, you have to keep it balanced.

i thin in case of strong cross wind aileron trim is required but first ball center than aileron

I don't listen:cry: After watching a P-51 pilot using mainly rudder trim I test this in the DCS P-51 and voila it trims so nice! :doh:

I don't listen:cry: After watching a P-51 pilot using mainly rudder trim I test this in the DCS P-51 and voila it trims so nice! :doh:

i was talking about rudder trim all the time all the time