Died and Gone to Heaven

flameoutme

I just got my Oculus Rift S. First time ever with a VR in a flight game. I had recently built a new computer (Intel 9700 K) in anticipation. Fly F/A-18 and F-14.

All I can say is I died and went to heaven. No amount of you tube videos can capture the experience. I knew it was going to be good but not this GREAT.

I got bad news for anyone who has invested in hardware cockpits, gauges, multi-monitor setups etc to add realism... sell them now while you still can.

I've been simming since the before times. VR is to flat screens as the best, fastest sports car is to a 1958 Buick.

Unbelievable.

Heaven.

Welcome to the world of immersion - VR is the absolute game changer in simulation gaming. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

@OP - cool! welcome to VR!!!!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Actually, the sim pit guys are still in business if you can sync your pit to the vr one. I just made a UFC that looks like crap to use, but its fine since im looking at the vr one while i use it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Okay, seriously, I don’t mean to troll, but how do you guys use a keyboard or find your mouse? If it’s all that, then how do you adapt to working with those peripherals? I’d really like to get into VR, but I don’t see how I could overcome those obstacles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

For controls I use a Warthog HOTAS and my mouse is next to the joystick. Very easy to find and I don't really ever have to use the keyboard for anything. I also have 2 Thrustmaster MFD's and I can usually hit the right button I need on either due to some muscle memory that's developed over time using them.

It's really not that hard at all once you practice a bit with it.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Okay, seriously, I don’t mean to troll, but how do you guys use a keyboard or find your mouse? If it’s all that, then how do you adapt to working with those peripherals? I’d really like to get into VR, but I don’t see how I could overcome those obstacles?

voice attack, hotas mapping, and most importantly, I just peak between the bridge of the nose. Works fine for me.

And with PointCTRL (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3607054&postcount=1) it's getting easier to interact with the clickable cockpit.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I look down through the nose opening of my Rift CV1 to see my keyboard. I have an LED keyboard which makes life easier. My mouse is right next to my joystick so I can interact with the cockpit controls. You get use to it very fast. You do notice the limitations of VR very fast they are quickly overridden by the experience. It's amazing!

Edited by Dr_Pain

I use a mouse and look under the Rift in the gap beside my nose if needed. I have a hotas so don't need to do much typing though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Died and Gone to Heaven

I guess I got to try one on to see what you mean about a gap. Doesn’t that bother you? Sounds ....unnatural.

Also, what are the limitations of VR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

The nose gap is small but enough to look through. You don't notice it unless you look down at it. Hope this pic works to show it.

oculus_rift_vr_hardware_bundle_678_678x452.jpg

The limitations I've found with Rift CV1 is I'm short sighted so needed Widmo lenses as my glasses would not fit in. Vision is not as clear over distant compared to a monitor, also you notice the screen door effect caused by the lens type. When it's cold it will fog up and when it's hot you have a warm device on your face so you sweat. Also if you suffer from motion sickness or are afraid of flying, it will trigger those fears as if they are real. I bailed out of a MiG 29 at 10 kilometres once, I am afraid of heights and it scared me but just for a little while.

But you have natural head movement and everywhere you look you see plane. Your brain goes into over drive thinking "Oh my oh my god oh my god! I'm in a Mustang!!!!!!!!". I race sim and flight sim and it's coolest piece of kit I've ever owned. :)

I guess I got to try one on to see what you mean about a gap. Doesn’t that bother you? Sounds ....unnatural.

Also, what are the limitations of VR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Some would say spotting, but for me that's not really a problem. I can spot air targets good enough, ground units same, read the displays, see the ball, you name it. I have a CV1 go figure. ;)

I needed to fly differently than with TrackIR, can't really explain why. Some things I did flying with TrackIR weren't really realistic I guess? And disorienting to do the same in VR with some "maneuvres".

Try it. You won't be getting back to pancake, trust us believers. :smartass:

Hmm. Okay, the only thing that concerns me is my vision. I’m near sighted and my glasses have a wide shape like most frames. I could get contacts. I don’t know. Sounds like I need to try it. Any stores that have demos?

I just got my Oculus Rift S. First time ever with a VR in a flight game. I had recently built a new computer (Intel 9700 K) in anticipation. Fly F/A-18 and F-14.

All I can say is I died and went to heaven. No amount of you tube videos can capture the experience. I knew it was going to be good but not this GREAT.

I got bad news for anyone who has invested in hardware cockpits, gauges, multi-monitor setups etc to add realism... sell them now while you still can.

I've been simming since the before times. VR is to flat screens as the best, fastest sports car is to a 1958 Buick.

Unbelievable.

Heaven.

This was my experience 2 weeks ago in my first ever VR experience.

I have not flown on monitor since then.

Presently creating problem at home as every little time I have is with the VR.

It is such an amazing experience. Hard to describe but good.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hmm. Okay, the only thing that concerns me is my vision. I’m near sighted and my glasses have a wide shape like most frames. I could get contacts. I don’t know. Sounds like I need to try it. Any stores that have demos?

You can get prescription lens inserts for most all common headsets .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2