Can't get automatic bomb release to work

TLTeo

Hello everyone,

I bought the Sabre in the latest sale and I've really been enjoying it. The one thing i can't figure out is the automatic bomb release system for dive bombing; it feels like no matter what I do the bombs just don't get dropped.

The procedure I'm doing is exactly like what's in the manual. I cage the gyro electrically, roll on the target, pop speed breaks, set throttle to idle, center the target in the pipper for a few seconds, press ordnance release, uncage the gyro, keep up my dive until I almost crash into the ground and then pull up at the latest possible instant, annoyed and with bombs very much still attached to the plane.

I honestly can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm not entering the dive correctly but since I can hit stuff fairly reliably with the manual bombing mode (and also in the L-39 if that counts) I really don't think I'm making any horrible mistakes in how I'm flying. How sensitive is the system to keeping the pipper stable?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Try this.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Hello everyone,

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

How sensitive is the system to keeping the pipper stable?

VERY sensitive, unfortunately. Any tiny joystick wobble when tracking the target, or a bit of unwanted roll/slip throws off the mechanism. You will have to make sure you're as smooth with your stick in pitch channel during the dive as possible.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Try this.

Thanks for the video! Honestly that is exactly what I'm doing except the bombs aren't dropping (both M117s and AN/M64s). I added some curvature on my stick and now target tracking is definitely smoother, but still no cigar.

Thanks for the video! Honestly that is exactly what I'm doing except the bombs aren't dropping (both M117s and AN/M64s). I added some curvature on my stick and now target tracking is definitely smoother, but still no cigar.

Frustrating isn't it. That's why pilots didn't like it. It was too difficult to achieve.

If the criteria isn't met exactly, when you cage, the bomb will not hit that point and therefore will not release.

If you cage on the correct target hit point and you're pipper is on that point when the bomb trajectory is calculated to arrive on that point, the bomb will come off.

I did a lot of runs on targets before it started to come together.

Shallow dives are easier.

What you don't want to be doing, is pushing forward on the stick during the dive, that is why I say trim fwd before diving and let the stick come to you This eliminates pitch porpoising.

Good luck.

Edited by Holbeach

Thanks for the help. I've been giving it more tries and I did manage to get bombs to drop, but only if I gave up on tracking the target. It feels like if I let the pipper slide slightly forward of the target the bombs do go off, but if I keep it on target or just keep flying in a straight line without increasing dive angle the bombs do nothing.

How do you actually manage to aim on a target when the damn system only drops the weapons if you aren't aiming on it? -.-

maybe your problem is that you limit the system with negative g or lower that 1g.

Sent from my iQE100 using Tapatalk

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've done a few more tries and concluded that what really screws up the mechanism is any rolling motion. I haven't managed to roll into a target and then drop bombs like Holbeach, but if I nose over into a dive and I don't need to roll much to line up the target I (sometimes) do manage to get a decent drop off.

All in all it's just a really annoying and unreliable system which does explain why supposedly Sabre pilots disliked it so much.

• 3 years later...

The issue you are running in to is one I discovered after many bombing runs. Not keeping your wings level is not near as important as not maintaining 1 positive G. I believe this is a built in safety feature which makes sense when you think about it. If you are pushing forward on the stick even just a little bit, the bomb could possibly hit the bottom of your airplane when it's released. Even with the power pulled back and speed brakes out, the airplane will still accelerate in a dive which creates more lift causing the nose to rise. Before you roll in, put in a fair amount of nose down trim and this should take care of the nose coming up. I love the Sabre and fly it almost every day, just don't ask me to explain the mcb bombing system, I  still haven't got that one figured out. 🙂👍

• Like 2