DCS on Separate Drive...

Quick silly question, but should I be expecting a performance hit moving DCS on to it's own Drive? My system (c:) drive is a NVMe Samsung 960Pro, I recently installed a second NVMe 970 Pro and gave DCS it's own drive. I swear i took a performance hit.

Could it be that I did a copy and paste to the new drive instead of a clean install?

It doesn't make any sense to me.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Should not have taken any hit. If I were to do that to be safe, I would have gone ahead with a fresh install. PITB for sure though.

You could try a repair and see if that helps.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As long as you dont stress both drives at full stroke you should not get to the point where it shows that you only have 4 Lanes to the CPU from your PCH but any of the NVMe wants those 4 Lanes for itself.

On some boards, here the boards do differ, the vendor has choosen to disable moew than just Sata 5+6 but also some PCIe slots etc. to have another 4 lanes for a 3rd NVMe. That reads nice on the box but performs terribly bad if you stress all3 cards at once, they all share the 4x link PCH<->CPU but would need a 12x link. This, really sux.

Most users as of today won't have 2 NVMe and those who do plan to use them have different chipsets like X299 or AMD Threadripper, those have multiple direct to CPU links for those.

I doubt that you see a speed penalty in DCS. Therefor DCS is not brutal enough to disk I/O and you would need another app on C-Drive doing the same thing, THEN we would pay the price for desktop chipsets with an I/O collapse. But DCS should never get close to that point to flood a 4x link on disc I/O....not yet LoL.

Have you installed the latest firmware for the 970Pro and the latest Samsung NVMe driver ( 3.0 iirc )?

If in any doubt, as dburne says, wipe the disc, format it, reinstall from scratch.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

NVMe shares bandwidth and if you're using 2x drives you may need to configure BIOS to get full speed on the 2nd drive.

Q1) What motherboard do you have?

Q2) Do you have any SATA drives in the system?

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |