Heatblur 1st:dev to introduce Jetwash in DCS?

CoBlue

Probably just hype. I'm sure the SMEs know whats up.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I do not like that the interview yesterday referred to jetwash as the effect in the movie top gun that we will have to be careful with our TF-30s. Jetwash shouldn't do crap to a TF-30. If its just the guys that don't know trying to hype a feature- that's fine, but its not accurate.

I’m definitely not an expert, just curious. :-)

The TF-30 engine was getting some bad press in 1984 regarding its propensity to stall.

This could lead to asymmetric thrust and loss of the aircraft from unrecoverable spin ?

I would normally hear of wake turbulence coming from large aircraft engines and wingtip vortices. This would cause loss of control in other aircraft following them at fairly large distances, ~up to several nautical miles separation during take off or landing.

I wonder if the effect talked about here is slightly different and is more like one of the engines in the F14 ingesting disturbed air from close proximity to another jets engine exhaust? (Read dogfight)

This is more of a question than an explanation but seems to ring “possible“ to me.

Does anyone have more information?https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1984/07/19/terrible-f14-engine-criticized-by-lehman/1fdb76f2-fe8e-44f2-b0d0-61c250e91e64/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.859d24e9a972

I do not like that the interview yesterday referred to jetwash as the effect in the movie top gun that we will have to be careful with our TF-30s. Jetwash shouldn't do crap to a TF-30. If its just the guys that don't know trying to hype a feature- that's fine, but its not accurate.

Jet wash and wake turbulence certainly would have effects on the TF30 like any engine. Its not a matter of simply flying through wake and experiencing a stall, but the presence of wake does change the engine's stall margin. This effect is not just from other aircraft, but also from events such as missile launches and firing the M61 (as noted in NATOPs).

Our F-14D pilot was testing out the wake effect yesterday and pointed out that even the F110 would sometimes experience a compressor stall (namely pop stalls I think) from following in a tight trail behind another aircraft - hence the reason why formations are staggered by altitude or lateral offset. These issues are not a part of DCS at present and excited to bring them to the sim with the F-14.

Swither may have simplified things a bit with his statement in the interview, but this new wake turbulence model effects both engines and airframe (depending on distance and position within different parts of the wake, loss of lift may occur for example). The TF30 will be more sensitive to it than the F110, but this is not like "fly through jet wash and TF30 stalls".

Its a cool feature and I think you'll like it once you try it. :)

-Nick

also from events such as missile launches

Apparently this was a serious problem for the MiG-23/27: it would ingest launch smoke from missiles launched from the rails mounted below the air intakes.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Jet wash and wake turbulence certainly would have effects on the TF30 like any engine. Its not a matter of simply flying through wake and experiencing a stall, but the presence of wake does change the engine's stall margin. This effect is not just from other aircraft, but also from events such as missile launches and firing the M61 (as noted in NATOPs).

Our F-14D pilot was testing out the wake effect yesterday and pointed out that even the F110 would sometimes experience a compressor stall (namely pop stalls I think) from following in a tight trail behind another aircraft - hence the reason why formations are staggered by altitude or lateral offset. These issues are not a part of DCS at present and excited to bring them to the sim with the F-14.

Swither may have simplified things a bit with his statement in the interview, but this new wake turbulence model effects both engines and airframe (depending on distance and position within different parts of the wake, loss of lift may occur for example). The TF30 will be more sensitive to it than the F110, but this is not like "fly through jet wash and TF30 stalls".

Its a cool feature and I think you'll like it once you try it. :)

-Nick

I should have stated more clearly instead of focusing on the negative. I think its a great immersive feature and I look forward to the depth it brings. We will se it first with the F-14B so it wont be a huge issue.

I'm apprehensive about how the TF-30 stalls will be treated. If I can avoid them completely by flying the engine and taking precautions I'll be happy.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk