Performance impact of uncontrolled AI units?

funkyfranky

Could you share your experience about the impact of AI units spawned in uncontrolled state?

How many can one have in a mission assuming a moderate PC?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Generally I haven't noticed a significant performance hit until things start numbering in the hundreds. Usually by that point I also have a bunch of triggers and moving units as well, so it's hard to put a number on just the AI, but unless you're designing a full map scale mission I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Generally I haven't noticed a significant performance hit until things start numbering in the hundreds.

Thanks, mate :thumbup: This is what I also observed and confirms what I have been told by others.

However, when I use fast forward in time, things look quite differently. At 4-5x in time acceleration, my FPS break down do ~ single digits.

So the real part of my question becomes, why is that? If there is nearly no impact in real time, why do uncontrolled units have a rather large impact if time is accelerated?

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

I made a few tests on the subject a while back. Just read/scroll trough my posts here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215750

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

There's a significant impact when using addGroup function of the SSE especially if you want to create new route points within the group table. Most notably with ground units. If you just spawn the group and after that you assign a route there's no visible impact. On the other hand, if you use spawn functions from MIST (and I assume MOOSE as well) these already take into consideration this aspect.

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

Static objects are free save for their GPU cost for players. If you mix static and active you can get pretty busy looking environments.

I did a test copy and pasting almost a thousand or so statics with no impact.

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Static objects are free save for their GPU cost for players. If you mix static and active you can get pretty busy looking environments.

I did a test copy and pasting almost a thousand or so statics with no impact.

That might have been true in the past, but isnt anymore. As I already tested in my above link, I just did it again to be sure.

Player F/A-18C on the ramp parking 12 at Senaki. 98 fps.

Now added 500 static BTR-80's. 69 fps.

With 500 static T-72's. 69 fps.

With 500 static Ural-375. 69 fps.

With 500 AI Ural-375. 69 fps.

The 500 trucks AI off. 69 fps.

The 500 Trucks uncontrolled. 69 fps.

With 500 Workshop-A buildings, 98 fps.

All AI and static placements, north of Enguri river. So at the back of the player view, and far away, so not visible.

Static planes how ever, make a difference (out of view). Uncontrolled AI planes have a bigger impact on fps, than same amount and type of static planes, which had no impact on fps - just like static buildings/structures.

Quoting myself:

You are correct, but its not much. Just did a quick test and placed 31 static F-15E's all over Gudauta, and a player controlled F-18 down at Sukhumi. Looking out the cockpit, I had 123 fps. Then I removed them again, and placed 31 uncontrolled F-15E's on Gudauta. Fps down at Sukhumi was 113 fps.

Forgot to add in the above, that a clean mission with just F-18 player at parking 7 on Sukhumi, has 123 fps too. So interesting, considering static ground units give a fps impact, while static buildings dont, and that goes for the planes too. So benefit there.

All out of sight of course.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Static planes how ever, make a difference (out of view). Uncontrolled AI planes have a bigger impact on fps, than same amount and type of static planes, which had no impact on fps - just like static buildings/structures.

Yeah, that's also my observation. And it get's hefty when you fast forward the time and have a couple of uncontrolled AI aircraft around compared to statics.

Not sure why that is. I mean the difference between statics and "normal" units is that statics have no controller. I thought, setting "normal" units to uncontrolled would basically make them to statics. But not quite. And the impact on FPS is unfortunately a bit too large.

I'd like to have a lot of uncontrolled AC on my airports and only activate a few when I need them. But it's taking comparably large toll on FPS unfortunately. And I need every single FPS in VR ;)

Hi All,

Interesting.

Related question : what about the FPS impact of units that are delayed ?

I suppose that they impact ~nothing till they are spawned... Right ?

Late activation units wont impact fps, until they are activated.