Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

G'day Surrexen,

Well done on the mission mate, a good mix of randomness and objectives. I noticed the CVN group did not engage inbound bandits with AD missiles. I was outnumbered - "Migs all over the place"... lol.... so tried to drag a couple to the edge of the MEZ to distract them, but no AD response from the frigates. Is this by design?

Cheers!

Scotch

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

G'day Surrexen,

Well done on the mission mate, a good mix of randomness and objectives. I noticed the CVN group did not engage inbound bandits with AD missiles. I was outnumbered - "Migs all over the place"... lol.... so tried to drag a couple to the edge of the MEZ to distract them, but no AD response from the frigates. Is this by design?

Cheers!

Scotch

G'day

Yes the Carrier Group is set to weapons hold otherwise they spam cruise missiles everywhere and ruin the fun.

That said, there is a major update on the way that will add the option to have fleet defence planes launching from the Stennis (amongst a lot of other changes). I've been battling getting this working for a while but I think I've finally got it. Just got to play test it a bit and roll the same changes out for Operation Clear Field. Update should be out before the weekend.

G'day

Yes the Carrier Group is set to weapons hold otherwise they spam cruise missiles everywhere and ruin the fun.

That said, there is a major update on the way that will add the option to have fleet defence planes launching from the Stennis (amongst a lot of other changes). I've been battling getting this working for a while but I think I've finally got it. Just got to play test it a bit and roll the same changes out for Operation Clear Field. Update should be out before the weekend.

Excellent, thanks mate, sounds brilliant... eagerly awaiting.

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Version 108 is up, and I think it's juicy.

Changelog v108

- Latest Moose version added

- Jask sector now has it's own CAP made up of Iranian planes

- Carrier deck decorative aircraft adjusted to allow for AI Tomcats/Hornets to launch hot from parking

- Khasab Vipers will now start from the ground instead of in the air

- Options under Snowfox Options -> Snowfox CAP options to allow for Khasab Vipers to spawn, and an option to choose for Fleet Defence Tomcats or Hornets (you can only choose one type of fleet defence at this point)

- Anti-Ship Viggens initial waypoint and initial orbit altitudes have been raised to avoid the Khasab mountains

Note: If you enable the Fleet Defence planes, the carrier deck will be a busy place at times, but I'm liking how it's turning out so far. If performance becomes an issue (it was fine for me), I'd say either stick with using Hornets instead of Tomcats, or don't enable the Fleet Planes.

I'll be making the same changes to Operation Clear Field over the next day or two.

Version 108 is up, and I think it's juicy.

Changelog v108

- Latest Moose version added

- Jask sector now has it's own CAP made up of Iranian planes

- Carrier deck decorative aircraft adjusted to allow for AI Tomcats/Hornets to launch hot from parking

- Khasab Vipers will now start from the ground instead of in the air

- Options under Snowfox Options -> Snowfox CAP options to allow for Khasab Vipers to spawn, and an option to choose for Fleet Defence Tomcats or Hornets (you can only choose one type of fleet defence at this point)

- Anti-Ship Viggens initial waypoint and initial orbit altitudes have been raised to avoid the Khasab mountains

Note: If you enable the Fleet Defence planes, the carrier deck will be a busy place at times, but I'm liking how it's turning out so far. If performance becomes an issue (it was fine for me), I'd say either stick with using Hornets instead of Tomcats, or don't enable the Fleet Planes.

I'll be making the same changes to Operation Clear Field over the next day or two.

Definitely a very enjoyable PvE mission, thank you Surrexen ! Flew for nearly 6 hours today on this one before finally getting shot down. Got taken out by a F-5E sadly, in my F/A-18C Hornet and only got the "merge" call.... Didn't get an AWACS update, but was getting plenty of calls from the AWACS up until that point. Guessing those F-5E bandits deployed from Siri or the other one close to that and didn't pop up on the AWACS radar until it was too late. Noticed them on the SA page about the same time, so must have been low the whole time from take off. Went defensive and looked to my 9 o'clock when rolling left just in time to see the missle coming right at me. Using VR, so it literally made me jump and then boom.... All over with no chance to eject. Had CAP deploy multiple times and a few of those, they really came in handy (the F-15C CAP in particular). Sent up the Tomcat and Hornet fleet defense on a few different occasions, and also sent up the F-16C support once or twice. Knocked out multiple ground targets with combinations of mav's, gbu's, jdams and several a/a splashes with 120's, 9x's, and guns. Lost track of how many landings on the Stennis and re-arms, but it was more than 5. Different loadouts each time and really really enjoyed it.

Didn't notice any big or lasting hits on performance. Question: when the fleet defense launches, am I supposed to be seeing them do so from the deck of the Stennis? If so, never saw any action there, just got the radio call that they were on station and then the radio call when I sent the "push" command. Either way, very good work. Only wish I could have somehow saved the progress as next time it's start all over, but guessing the only way to do that would be to put the mission on a server so it would last for a certain amount of time.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Definitely a very enjoyable PvE mission, thank you Surrexen ! Flew for nearly 6 hours today on this one before finally getting shot down. Got taken out by a F-5E sadly, in my F/A-18C Hornet and only got the "merge" call.... Didn't get an AWACS update, but was getting plenty of calls from the AWACS up until that point. Guessing those F-5E bandits deployed from Siri or the other one close to that and didn't pop up on the AWACS radar until it was too late. Noticed them on the SA page about the same time, so must have been low the whole time from take off. Went defensive and looked to my 9 o'clock when rolling left just in time to see the missle coming right at me. Using VR, so it literally made me jump and then boom.... All over with no chance to eject. Had CAP deploy multiple times and a few of those, they really came in handy (the F-15C CAP in particular). Sent up the Tomcat and Hornet fleet defense on a few different occasions, and also sent up the F-16C support once or twice. Knocked out multiple ground targets with combinations of mav's, gbu's, jdams and several a/a splashes with 120's, 9x's, and guns. Lost track of how many landings on the Stennis and re-arms, but it was more than 5. Different loadouts each time and really really enjoyed it.

Didn't notice any big or lasting hits on performance. Question: when the fleet defense launches, am I supposed to be seeing them do so from the deck of the Stennis? If so, never saw any action there, just got the radio call that they were on station and then the radio call when I sent the "push" command. Either way, very good work. Only wish I could have somehow saved the progress as next time it's start all over, but guessing the only way to do that would be to put the mission on a server so it would last for a certain amount of time.

Cheers,

Don

Sounds like a blast! Yes you will see the Fleet planes on the carrier deck, once you enable them they can take anywhere between 2.5-10 minutes before they start up. If you happen to be parked in front of Elevator 2 or 4 then that will delay them until you get out of the way. They generally spawn and move to catapults 2 and 3 for launch. I have found that the best place to re-arm is literally right in front of the island, that way you won't hinder any respawns etc (a replacement flight is spawned by the dispatcher when the first flight is coming back when fuel is getting low). Also the fleet planes and khasab vipers are set to silent so they don't spam the radio channel, they don't get push commands like the other call-ins do.

One thing I have just realised is I've set the engagement radius for the Khasab Vipers and Fleet planes a bit too short. I'll tweak that and get an update out for it. But it might not be today, probably tomorrow. I only found this out when I was getting chased by some MiG-21's and I was out of sticks. The resident Tomcat's didn't quite react quick enough to them on my tail as I entered the Carrier's airspace. Tomcat's engaged and splashed the Migs 'after' they had watched me get toasted. Thanks for nothing Tomcats!

Sounds like a blast! Yes you will see the Fleet planes on the carrier deck, once you enable them they can take anywhere between 2.5-10 minutes before they start up. If you happen to be parked in front of Elevator 2 or 4 then that will delay them until you get out of the way. They generally spawn and move to catapults 2 and 3 for launch. I have found that the best place to re-arm is literally right in front of the island, that way you won't hinder any respawns etc (a replacement flight is spawned by the dispatcher when the first flight is coming back when fuel is getting low). Also the fleet planes and khasab vipers are set to silent so they don't spam the radio channel, they don't get push commands like the other call-ins do.

One thing I have just realised is I've set the engagement radius for the Khasab Vipers and Fleet planes a bit too short. I'll tweak that and get an update out for it. But it might not be today, probably tomorrow. I only found this out when I was getting chased by some MiG-21's and I was out of sticks. The resident Tomcat's didn't quite react quick enough to them on my tail as I entered the Carrier's airspace. Tomcat's engaged and splashed the Migs 'after' they had watched me get toasted. Thanks for nothing Tomcats!

Lol.... same thing happened to me the other night before you put the fleet defenders in. I was winchester, bingo fuel, about to enter the marshal stack, and noticed tracers flying past me from a sneaky F5. I'm really enjoying the mission, it's great fun to fly with a lot happening in the battlespace, well done.

Cheers!

Ty for your time buddy! rly like your ideas on this mission, i'm using moose with Task Dispatchers for task creation on the go, first approach was a similar system u got here, but i wasn't brave enough to write THAT many lines... Good Job there! i have an idea on how many weeks you've spent polishing this baby :) maybe u r one of those guys... "i never fly cuz im always editing / scripting" lol (if yes, then welcome to the club haha)

BTW!

from mission editor to mission editor..., do i have permission to use the sound files?

Version 109 is up

Changelog v109

- Carrier Fleet Defence Planes patrol zone tightened up around the boat

- Carrier Fleet Defence / Khasab Vipers engagement ranges adjusted

- Carrier Fleet Defence / Khasab Vipers damage threshold added

- Minab Dam, Igla Manpads positions adjusted slightly

Edit: Unless any major problems come up, I think that will be it for a while until the Syria map comes out.

Edited by Surrexen

Curiosity question ... Is there any interest in a Nevada map based mission?

I certainly would be. Pretty much only fly at the PG and NTTR myself, got enough time at the stock map to tide me over for along time.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Version 110 is up

Changelog v110

- Soundscape has been expanded to include a bunch of new sounds for weapon firing events, you can toggle this on/off via the radio menu under Snowfox Sound Options, by default the new sounds are enabled.

Edit: Should mention that the weapon firing sounds will not play every single time, each sound played for weapons will lockout any other weapon sounds for 7 seconds to avoid sounds playing over the top of each other. Also, I've tried to cover most weapon types but finding source material is providing to be a bit of a challenge, so anti-ship weapons don't have any sounds. Also if you find I have missed any particular missiles etc let me know. It's a work in progress.

Edit 2: It looks like there may under certain conditions be an issue with Fleet Planes getting 'stuck' on the carrier deck if the mission is being run on a dedicated server. If you are running this on a dedicated server I would advise against running with the Fleet Planes enabled until I can work out what is going on, I might just have to change them and the Khasab Vipers back to air starts to avoid this but we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Surrexen

I think I've found a fix for when support flights are told to abort mission, so that they don't fly back super mega slowly. Got a few other ideas which I am going to try to implement before pushing the next versions of this and Clear Field out.

Has anyone checked out the new sounds I added? What did you think?

Version v111 is up.

Changelog v111

- Improvements to the way AI support flights go RTB when told to abort mission, they should fly home at the correct speeds now

- Extra Ka-50 and Mi-8MTV2 added to Khasab

- Carrier Group set back to weapons hold by default (I was testing something and had forgot to change it back)

- Notification about enemy bombers incoming has been removed

I like the sounds. They are a nice addition to the immersion. I would prefer them to be more varied, but they are still nice.

The "magnum" sounds however seems a bit "silly". Maybe not intentional, but the music in the background sort of ruins the sound effect (music from the Magnum series maybe? :) )

Haha no the magnum sound is from a natops video someone else linked to another post I made asking if anyone had any sounds with a magnum call. It's the only one I can find so far so it had to do. I want to find a way to remove the music from it, but I haven't had time yet.

In your travels, if you find a better one let me know!

Edit: It was navair, not natops ... here is the post https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=248770

Edited by Surrexen

Haha no the magnum sound is from a natops video someone else linked to another post I made asking if anyone had any sounds with a magnum call. It's the only one I can find so far so it had to do. I want to find a way to remove the music from it, but I haven't had time yet.

In your travels, if you find a better one let me know!

Edit: It was navair, not natops ... here is the post https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=248770

Haha. I had to laugh now...I thought is was some sort of easter egg :lol: oh well....

Running both "Operation SnowFox" and "Operation Clear Field" on our event server.

Hope others enjoy the missions as much as we do. Nice work

| i9 9900K Octa Core 2TB SSD +32GB Spectrix DDR4 @3200MHz RGB | 2 x Radeon RX480 in Crossfire. | TrackIR5 HOTAS Warthog,MFG Crosswind Pedals | Cougar MFDs |

[OCG] Oceanic Combat Group

discord.gg/ZmXEBSU

"Through The Inferno"

by deadlyfishes

Official Australian Servers

SRS: All Servers have Auto-Connect Enabled

Server 1: TTI Caucasus

Server 2: TTI Persian Gulf

Server 3: OCG Training

Server 4: OCG NTTR & Multiplayer Missions

Australian Website

AU Discord Server

Surrexen; Would it at all be possible to make a "saved game" file at the end of a mission?

I'm spending a lot of time taking out SAMs at the start of the mission, and not really being able to participate in for instance CAS missions because the regular SEAD spawn aircraft take to long to take out the SAMsites, so I have to help out every time.

A "saved game" file would really help with being able to use different assets available. :)

Again, I really love your work! Two excellent missions

Surrexen; Would it at all be possible to make a "saved game" file at the end of a mission?

I'm spending a lot of time taking out SAMs at the start of the mission, and not really being able to participate in for instance CAS missions because the regular SEAD spawn aircraft take to long to take out the SAMsites, so I have to help out every time.

A "saved game" file would really help with being able to use different assets available. :)

Again, I really love your work! Two excellent missions

I have no idea how to do that yet haha. I know in theory it can be done though. Currently I'm finalising plans on paper for Syria ... for whenever the map comes out! It's a good question though because I think that would be very useful.

Today I actually flew a CAS mission on Snowfox to learn the A-10C (I don't normally fly CAS). I took out the SA-15 at Tunb Island on route to Bandar Lengeh and had SEAD support take care of the SA-11, whilst a fighter screen kept me in the clear. Managed to wipe out the targets and complete a mission. Didn't think I had it in me!

Anyway I will add the request to the list for later and will investigate. Can't promise anything at this stage.

I have no idea how to do that yet haha. I know in theory it can be done though. Currently I'm finalising plans on paper for Syria ... for whenever the map comes out! It's a good question though because I think that would be very useful.

Today I actually flew a CAS mission on Snowfox to learn the A-10C (I don't normally fly CAS). I took out the SA-15 at Tunb Island on route to Bandar Lengeh and had SEAD support take care of the SA-11, whilst a fighter screen kept me in the clear. Managed to wipe out the targets and complete a mission. Didn't think I had it in me!

Anyway I will add the request to the list for later and will investigate. Can't promise anything at this stage.

Very good. Thanks for taking it into consideration. :) "Annoying" when I've spent an hour or so taking out several SAM sites, and then I have to go AFK...starting over again. (not a problem related to your mission - offcourse.)

Maybe reported already, maybe done on purpose, but it seems that every time one of the allies shoots an AGM-88 I hear a "MAGNUM" sound file with a highly annoying, way to loud, 1980's like, music soundbite :huh:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Maybe reported already, maybe done on purpose, but it seems that every time one of the allies shoots an AGM-88 I hear a "MAGNUM" sound file with a highly annoying, way to loud, 1980's like, music soundbite :huh:

You can turn that off via the F10 menu for now, creator added sounds and that was one of them. Had a singular source to get it from and unfortunately wasn’t as clean as the others.

Cheers,

Don

I have tried a few different methods of removing the background music for the magnum sound to no avail. Another user has sent me sounds for magnum launches but they are taken from another simulation that shall not be named and as a result I cannot use them without causing grief and mass hysteria.

Unless an adequate substitute can be found, then I may just take out the magnum sound in the next build.

Meanwhile, thank you daarseth for having my back it's appreciated!

I have tried a few different methods of removing the background music for the magnum sound to no avail. Another user has sent me sounds for magnum launches but they are taken from another simulation that shall not be named and as a result I cannot use them without causing grief and mass hysteria.

Unless an adequate substitute can be found, then I may just take out the magnum sound in the next build.

Meanwhile, thank you daarseth for having my back it's appreciated!

Annoying background music or not, I'm having great fun with this mission Surrexen. I just landed after a 2,5 hour straight mission, including AAR, TPOD A/G fun, A/A combat and several landing/rearming moments. All in 1 mission! :pilotfly:

Thank you for your work! :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH