DCS World Do I need it?

Badger2017

I have the steam version of DCS A10C that runs without DCS world. Does DCS World bring any improvements to the A10C sim? or am I better off without it?

Edited by Badger2017

I9-9900K OC 5.2Gig , RTX2080 Hybrid GPU , 32G LPX memory ,

Acer Predator X34 Curved monitor , Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog , TFRP T.Flight Pedals

The DCS version allows you to participate in Multiplayer; the older stand alone version will provide only Single Player.

Also, last month the A-10C received an upgraded cockpit, that your old A-10C doesnt have.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

If you do have the original "boxed" version of A10C it was no longer supported as of DCS World 1.2 meaning youre stuck at DCS 1.1. Not much has changed with A10 since then until the recently reworked cockpit although the Georgia terrain has been upgraded several times.

Are you sure this is what you have? Does it say version 1.1 when you start? If it says version 2.5 when you start you have the current Steam version of DCS World and A10c.

If what you mean is whats the difference between Steam or stand alone version of DCS (downloaded here) it comes down to getting your hands on new modules sooner if that interests you.

As far as I know, there's no direct benefit to running DCS World without Steam.

However, new versions tend to arrive sooner on ED's version of DCS World, and when you start tweaking DCS, maybe switching between versions or modding, there's always a chance that the Steam version might have some additional hassles and problems.

And ultimately, when you purchase directly from ED, they get 100% of the revenue. I don't know what their deal is with Steam, but I'm pretty sure Steam will keep a substantial amount for themselves; Steam is typically rumored to keep 30% of the purchase price.

So, if you just want to run the A-10C, there's no immediate benefit to running DCS from ED that I'm aware of, but if you want to stick with DCS for a while, you're probably better off running it like that.

I believe you can use your Steam key to activate any module (aka DLC) on DCS World, but you can't activate a module purchased from ED on Steam.

I have Version 1.1 Also I Would like to use TrackerIR5 with this older version Is it compatible?

Edited by Badger2017

Acer Predator X34 Curved monitor , Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog , TFRP T.Flight Pedals

Yes, TIR is.

DCS World is much, much, much changed compared to DCS A-10C pre-Worldification. It's like Windows 95 vs Windows 10. You might be happy with the old pre-World version but it's really old.

Do yourself a favor and get DCS World. It's free and you can fly the Su-215T and the TF-51D for free. Try it and compare.

Thanks for everyone's input....I will forget about my 1.1 steam copy! Install DCS world and the A10C module. Thereby giving ED it's full due.

Although the original cockpit looked much better and more realistic than the perfectly clean, brand new, cartoonish "upgrade" (IMO).

A mod will no doubt be coming from the community, like previously available. The change to the cockpit is no doubt for the better, in terms of ergonomics and detail (at least for VR), wear and tear is another degree of detail for sure - but not necessary for functionality of the aircraft. Sure I notice it from time to time, but I don't spend much time looking at the floor board of the airframe - or target fixating on internal components. Mk I eyeballs are scanning the ground and air for targets, then giving reference glances to steam gauges and sensors if equipped/activated.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

All setup with DCS world and the A10C module..10 Hour download!!! With every graphic setting maxed out. WOW! It puts my old V1.1 to shame. Ordering the TrackIR 5 ASAP!

Big bonus was the HOTAS Throttle slew control now works ( I could never manage to get that working in V1.1 ). The Icing on the cake is turning up my nose at Steam!!

All setup with DCS world and the A10C module..10 Hour download!!! With every graphic setting maxed out. WOW! It puts my old V1.1 to shame. Ordering the TrackIR 5 ASAP!

Big bonus was the HOTAS Throttle slew control now works ( I could never manage to get that working in V1.1 ). The Icing on the cake is turning up my nose at Steam!!

Glad to hear that! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Congratulations! Also, welcome to the forums! Starting off your New Year in the correct way!

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Wow.. I can't imagine what that was like going from 1.1 to 2.5! lol It must have been quite a change!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Although the original cockpit looked much better and more realistic than the perfectly clean, brand new, cartoonish "upgrade" (IMO).

All military vehicles are new or come out of rebuild/recap at some point.

I remember seeing equipment fresh from the OEM, even pulled plastic off hmmwv seats and got a sniff of that new truck smell, I've seen interiors of truck mounted shelters that looked relatively unused compared to their age. Not everything out there is beat to shit. A lot of it is, but it's not unheard of to see something new.

Edited by ngreenaway
corrected typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

A mod will no doubt be coming from the community, like previously available. The change to the cockpit is no doubt for the better, in terms of ergonomics and detail (at least for VR), wear and tear is another degree of detail for sure - but not necessary for functionality of the aircraft. Sure I notice it from time to time, but I don't spend much time looking at the floor board of the airframe - or target fixating on internal components. Mk I eyeballs are scanning the ground and air for targets, then giving reference glances to steam gauges and sensors if equipped/activated.

Cheers,

Don

I've read that it's better for VR, but for the rest of us it's a step backwards in realism and immersion. Other than the seat cushions looking a little better, the rest of the cockpit is much less detailed. The lack of shadowing, wear and tear, fading, flakes, scratches, mismatched metal colors/textures, etc. make the "updated" cockpit look like a console arcade game instead of what was previously a highly detailed simulation.

Of course I appreciate that DCS continues to work on the A-10 module, but there's no denying that overall the old cockpit looked significantly better than the new one. Probably the reason why there are no "before and after" cockpit shots on the DCS website showing how great it is - because it's not.

Just my opinion.

if you've been away from flight sims for some time and with your system (rtx2080) go and buy a rift S when you next have some spare funds.

It will be like the first time you every played a flight sim - but better. Your SA is amazing and more true to life so you end up choosing better IP points for attack runs using the relief available.

You will be blown away....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I've read that it's better for VR, but for the rest of us it's a step backwards in realism and immersion. Other than the seat cushions looking a little better, the rest of the cockpit is much less detailed. The lack of shadowing, wear and tear, fading, flakes, scratches, mismatched metal colors/textures, etc. make the "updated" cockpit look like a console arcade game instead of what was previously a highly detailed simulation.

Of course I appreciate that DCS continues to work on the A-10 module, but there's no denying that overall the old cockpit looked significantly better than the new one. Probably the reason why there are no "before and after" cockpit shots on the DCS website showing how great it is - because it's not.

Just my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure, and I won't belittle yours (or anyone else).

In terms of a step backward, that is unfortunate, but the shoes seem to be on the opposite foot now - as it was grossly a step backward with the original cockpit for us 3d'ers.

That being said, do you not have shadows that are present in the new cockpit? Shadows are certainly present for me, which seems odd....

In terms of the other stuff, I suppose being on a flat screen makes the cockpit much more of a focus point, as for me it is actually the opposite. Constantly eyes out of the cockpit, with focus point being outside the canopy.

For a side to side comparison, I feel it would be hard to truly grasp these differences without being able to view it in 3 dimension. Which is kind of the point, updated 3D mesh.

I'd like to hear about the shadows bit though, as it seems odd. They are heavily present for me. Either way, bummer to hear that you aren't thrilled with the change - maybe one day someone will figure out a way to allow you to revert / step back to the old one, or Riccardo (sp?) will come out with another "worn" cockpit update like he/she did for the original airframe.

Cheers,

Don

Everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure, and I won't belittle yours (or anyone else).

In terms of a step backward, that is unfortunate, but the shoes seem to be on the opposite foot now - as it was grossly a step backward with the original cockpit for us 3d'ers.

That being said, do you not have shadows that are present in the new cockpit? Shadows are certainly present for me, which seems odd....

In terms of the other stuff, I suppose being on a flat screen makes the cockpit much more of a focus point, as for me it is actually the opposite. Constantly eyes out of the cockpit, with focus point being outside the canopy.

For a side to side comparison, I feel it would be hard to truly grasp these differences without being able to view it in 3 dimension. Which is kind of the point, updated 3D mesh.

I'd like to hear about the shadows bit though, as it seems odd. They are heavily present for me. Either way, bummer to hear that you aren't thrilled with the change - maybe one day someone will figure out a way to allow you to revert / step back to the old one, or Riccardo (sp?) will come out with another "worn" cockpit update like he/she did for the original airframe.

Cheers,

Don

I would really like to see it in 3D, and my system could run it, but it just seems like such a hassle that I've never purchased the gear. I don't have experience, so I'm probably wrong, but not being able to see the keyboard when you need a keypress, trying to get the headset cursor precisely on cockpit buttons/switches without using the mouse, etc. seems like it would take the fun out of it even if the visuals are awesome.

In regards to the shadows, I meant the small shadows/shading of the buttons and switches themselves, not the general shadows from the sun and other light sources. Those are still there of course. Hard to describe exactly, just that many of the small details are missing or less visible now.

I would really like to see it in 3D, and my system could run it, but it just seems like such a hassle that I've never purchased the gear. I don't have experience, so I'm probably wrong, but not being able to see the keyboard when you need a keypress, trying to get the headset cursor precisely on cockpit buttons/switches without using the mouse, etc. seems like it would take the fun out of it even if the visuals are awesome.

In regards to the shadows, I meant the small shadows/shading of the buttons and switches themselves, not the general shadows from the sun and other light sources. Those are still there of course. Hard to describe exactly, just that many of the small details are missing or less visible now.

Understood on the shadows/shading of the buttons - I get that now. Yes, they are present in VR - so unfortunately it sounds like an added loss on your side, while still present of more exaggerated on this side..... Using the keyboard really isn't too tough "while being blind" once you get used to it - and depending on what HOTAS you have, is really rarely needed during normal flight operations.

One thing that I have done for the mouse, is purchased a "track pad" and have it strapped to my leg like a knee board, with that you can quickly access the mouse for any further functionality that is needed with the mouse. I personally still have the mouse "enable" as having to look directly at something that I want to control can be a task at times when the switch is located further after in the cockpit. This also allows for head/eyes to maintain current orientation while operating switches/buttons on the UFC, or vertical panels often times. That being said, also using something like the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's is something that can further assist functionality and interaction inside the "virtual pit."

Always tricky to try and discover how it "feels" when you can't just rent one or pop over to another person's house to test/try it and see if it's worth the commitment, probably the biggest bummer of it really. Totally get that.

Cheers,

Don