Real pilot air refueling

lee1hy

Hello

Is there an A2A refuel method for a retired fighter pilot's PC simulator and PC joystick?

Tried to set dead zone and curve and saturation, but small amount control is continuously input and stable level flight is impossible

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

Hello

Is there an A2A refuel method for a retired fighter pilot's PC simulator and PC joystick?

Tried to set dead zone and curve and saturation, but small amount control is continuously input and stable level flight is impossible

Not impossible, but certainly not easy, and like many things in DCS, practice makes perfect. Have to say that I found updating the HOTAS made a big difference to being able to be smooth and make more granular input changes.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The Viper is the only aircraft in DCS that I fly with zero curves. The FLCS takes care of that. It certainly takes time getting used to, it handles very differently from other jets, but it also allows for very fine inputs at low deflections.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Tried to set dead zone

I had dead zone in F-14 (harder to air refuel than F-16 IMO), but changed to zero dead zone and works better for me. I set to no dead zone at all in all jets.

Don't know how it works in a real plane, but for me the throttle has same level of importance as the joysitck, more throttle, nose up, less power, nose down. Need to be soft...

Oh, trim... For me the Viper is a no trim plane (other people prefer to trim, is personal), but with no trim from take off, you get the tanker in nice level flight (tried trim flight at the Viper launch and it was a nightmare to AAR).

As other said, is practice, practice, practice, and a lot of patience. I remember when I learn to AAR in the A-10C, impossible I thought, but can be done and now is easy for me.

Good luck!

I get the plane where it is supposed to be and throw on the autopilot. It will hold everything but allows you to make adjustments and for me eliminated those huge pios and having to reset the approach. That said... On one post someone said that when you open the refueling door the aircraft automatically changes the sensitivity and control throws basically doing what my ap trick does. I have not verified that but can say in VR it is much easier.

• 1 month later...

tip when air refuling in the f16.

turn on cat III in the plane this make the movement of the stick more slow = more easy to make small adjustments.

But in general if you practive air refueling every day for 30 minutes then you properbly be an expert 5-7 days later.

I can refuel with any joystick even if they are not precise, its just a matter of practice again and again and very fine adjustment.

Also try to notise when you are alligned perfect and taking fuel how it feel, and the location oof your plane to example wing tips and nose.. try to find some reference points ect.

But in general the light system work pretty well, except for the very first time you aproach the tanker then you need to move the horisontal green bar up a little bit els the refuel operator will not start the refuling process.

But after that you can refuel with both green bars directly in the center it work really good... BUT the correct location when refuling is a pretty small box you have to fly in. But with practice you can do it ;-)

( ps. in f18 you can turn on the autopilot and keep altitude.. that make it even more easy to refuel... but in the f16 you cannot refuel with autopilot on. ).

turn on cat III in the plane this make the movement of the stick more slow = more easy to make small adjustments.

The flight controls automatically adjust when the IFR door is open, cat III might have a placebo effect, but should not make any difference. Opening the IFR door set the landing gains on the aircraft.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hello

It depends greatly on your specific joystick. You might have to play witch curves and dead zones to get the best results for you specif stick.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..