F-14B AI is frustratingly stupid

Ironwulf

Any useful tips on how to micro manage my wingman in SP? I enjoy flying the missions that come with the F-14, but inconsistent wingman performance can be a crucial component in some of them, like Protect the Viskburg, where you as a single plane just don't have enough ordnance on board to handle all the threats.

I didn't tried yet with Tomcat, but something that can work to improvise a kind of "chainsaw" tactic (without dedicated order).

- send wingman in trail

- take the first shots

- pump then order "cover my six" or "engage hostiles"

It should keep the bandits busy while you recommit.

If you initiate your pump/ notch by right turn, recommit by left turn.

With luck it will put you "out of scope" of threats busy with your wingman.

If there are fighters + bombers, take out fighters first, your wingman will be less at risk.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Any useful tips on how to micro manage my wingman in SP? I enjoy flying the missions that come with the F-14, but inconsistent wingman performance can be a crucial component in some of them, like Protect the Viskburg, where you as a single plane just don't have enough ordnance on board to handle all the threats.

I'll see if I find time this week to fly the mission and then best give you some tips in relation to it.

In general: don't use him. I know this sounds stupid, but the less you use him, the longer you have him, and by that I mean, send him to anchor. When the AI anchors it can almost make any trip back home with you, I usually use them really just for optics when I fly solo haha. But, once engaged, I call them in when needed, or if needed in general.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Any useful tips on how to micro manage my wingman in SP?

After take off go about 5-10% less than MIL. Wait for him to catch up. It'll save him fuel.

Don't make hard turns and climbs if not necessary. Again, fuel.

When engaging targets and need his missiles I tell him to engage bandits. If I can manage alone I don't tell him anything. Saving missiles.

If A2G and he has his tasks just tell him to engage mission (objective).

If there is dangerous area and you don't need him better to leave him on hold - orbit away from the place. Rejoin when needed. Saving his life.

Always remember to tell him to rejoin after engagement/strike and wait for him. Otherwise he goes for whatever target he finds next even far away from AO.

When he reports bingo tell him to RTB immediately - he just might have the chance then to go back. Give him the chance to land first in this case.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I didn't tried yet with Tomcat, but something that can work to improvise a kind of "chainsaw" tactic (without dedicated order).

- send wingman in trail

- take the first shots

- pump then order "cover my six" or "engage hostiles"

It should keep the bandits busy while you recommit.

If you initiate your pump/ notch by right turn, recommit by left turn.

With luck it will put you "out of scope" of threats busy with your wingman.

If there are fighters + bombers, take out fighters first, your wingman will be less at risk.

Interesting approach. It has never occurred to me to try this with an AI before. Thanks mate, i'll give it a go.

I'll see if I find time this week to fly the mission and then best give you some tips in relation to it.

In general: don't use him. I know this sounds stupid, but the less you use him, the longer you have him, and by that I mean, send him to anchor. When the AI anchors it can almost make any trip back home with you, I usually use them really just for optics when I fly solo haha. But, once engaged, I call them in when needed, or if needed in general.

Yeah, i try that most of the time, but in some missions you just can't do it all on your own. One two separate occasions in the above mission, i ended up downing 7 planes and still some of the bandits manage to score hits on the ship. With the wingman either doing nothing, getting him self shot or doing nothing and running out of fuel.

After take off go about 5-10% less than MIL. Wait for him to catch up. It'll save him fuel.

Don't make hard turns and climbs if not necessary. Again, fuel.

When engaging targets and need his missiles I tell him to engage bandits. If I can manage alone I don't tell him anything. Saving missiles.

If A2G and he has his tasks just tell him to engage mission (objective).

If there is dangerous area and you don't need him better to leave him on hold - orbit away from the place. Rejoin when needed. Saving his life.

Always remember to tell him to rejoin after engagement/strike and wait for him. Otherwise he goes for whatever target he finds next even far away from AO.

When he reports bingo tell him to RTB immediately - he just might have the chance then to go back. Give him the chance to land first in this case.

Interesting. The AI will never engage unless ordered to? Even when fired upon?

I usually order him to either engage or guard my six, but while the first one has a tiny chance of working (depending on the gods of random number generation), the latter one almost never does anything really productive.

Thanks for the advice all, will try the next time i go "up", probably this weekend at the earliest. In the mean time, keep up with the recommendations :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

For fuel management, I would rather say after take off, maintain 300kt at low altitude until wingarm rejoins. Then you can throttle up.

Will he go full burner if i try more aggressive climb profile afterwards? I tend to fly most of my ingress at angels 30-35.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Will he go full burner if i try more aggressive climb profile afterwards? I tend to fly most of my ingress at angels 30-35.

Yes, full burner until in formation. Standard DCS AI behavior.

But if you wait for him, then go just little less than MIL power, he will stay MIL power with you. :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

On top of what's been said, call formation changes to simulate tac turns. For example, if you're turning to the left and your wingman (or flight) is/are to your right, tell them to go echelon left, wait a couple of seconds, then turn yourself.

Yes, full burner until in formation. Standard DCS AI behavior.

But if you wait for him, then go just little less than MIL power, he will stay MIL power with you. :smilewink:

On top of what's been said, call formation changes to simulate tac turns. For example, if you're turning to the left and your wingman (or flight) is/are to your right, tell them to go echelon left, wait a couple of seconds, then turn yourself.

Roger that...... now the only thing left is to actually get him to engage in any effective manner :joystick:

Roger that...... now the only thing left is to actually get him to engage in any effective manner :joystick:

Apart from my previous post I would say that wingman is very effective for me in A2A. When the there is no high threat I choose to not use him to keep something for me to do in the mission. Sorting is the problem. He'll gladly attack helicopters, transports and bombers while fighter cover is trashing us. Just wait a bit for the engage command and remember to call him back later.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Apart from my previous post I would say that wingman is very effective for me in A2A. When the there is no high threat I choose to not use him to keep something for me to do in the mission. Sorting is the problem. He'll gladly attack helicopters, transports and bombers while fighter cover is trashing us. Just wait a bit for the engage command and remember to call him back later.

Well, i'll try again tomorrow and see how he'll handle it. I'll try more babysitting too, as to avoid getting him killed. That mission definitely needs more then 8 missiles to get the job done. And that's on top of the perfect timing and situation management. :thumbup:

From my personal experience, since I prefer them to RTB rather than punching out, whenever they call bingo, I send them rtb. So far they always made it. They seem to go into a more fuel conservative mode then as they do not try to keep up with you anymore, but I could be wrong, so please take it with a grain of salt.

Heh noticed my wingman ran out of fuel once about waypoint 2. I was watching him after I finished the mission and he raised and lowered his landing gear 4 or 5 times on the approach, though he did land. And he was taxing around all over the place and finished just before I landed lol.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2