[W.I.P] AIM-9X not dropping target lock

Bonzo0181

I already reported this in the input bugs section, but apparently that's not a place to report input bugs. :huh:

A JHMCS-bore-designated target lock with an AIM-9X cannot be dropped by any button. The only way to drop it is by using the gimbal limit.

That bring us to the next point: once the AIM-9X has been uncaged once in a mission, it will automatically pick up any target and lock it, without having to uncage the seeker again. This is true when switching master modes, forcing a target drop otherwise, switching back and forth between weapons, etc. The missile will happily lock another aircraft it that one is in-sight first after a forced drop.

I added a track showing the problem. The uncage button is pressed once to lock the left aircraft, but not touched again.

F-16 aim-9x persistent uncage button 2.trk

Edited by Bonzo0181
track added

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Hi thanks for the track.

As far as I am aware you need to use the NWS A/R DISC MSL STEP to step through the missiles to break the lock.

I will try and confirm that.

Edit: I have been told currently the best way is to use OSD 19 on the right MFD to bore sight, which will unlock the current locked target.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

In the next Open Beta, we'll be adding the momentary toggle function of the AIM-9 between bore and slave modes. When the cursor switch is not pressed, the seeker is in slave mode, and it will slew to the radar designated target. If the switch is depressed and held, it is in bore mode, and it will lock based on what the seeker sees in its FoV. If the switch is released, it will revert back to slave mode and break any bore lock.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers! At least that will solve the persistent lock.

It still seems incorrect that the (or rather: any AIM-9X carried) will still automatically uncage without the need to press the uncage button again. Of course I'm not an SME, but what really strikes me is that even switching to another AIM-9X will make the seeker immediately uncage without pressing the button (it reminds me of the NWS A/R DISC bug that was present at the start of early access). Do you have any information on that?

Edited by Bonzo0181

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the next Open Beta, we'll be adding the momentary toggle function of the AIM-9 between bore and slave modes. When the cursor switch is not pressed, the seeker is in slave mode, and it will slew to the radar designated target. If the switch is depressed and held, it is in bore mode, and it will lock based on what the seeker sees in its FoV. If the switch is released, it will revert back to slave mode and break any bore lock.

Thanks

Are you sure it's not a toggle? Having to hold it seems counter intuitive.

It does explain the weird AIM-9X vs that Su-22 in Syria some time ago. Confusing user interface.

:lol:

That was a Hornet though ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg