Great little airplane

Yeti42

I've just returned to DCS after a 3 year break, I must say the F5 is giving me loads of fun and is a great student platform for AA skills. I was predominantly a mud mover on the A10c previously and used to run away when confronted with anything more than a helo.... well anything really... I'm also training on the new FA 18 but have a way to go before I'm anywhere near proficient, the F5 definitely teaches you to preserve energy and I've already taken out a couple of F18 's on various MP servers.

Just being positive, good job on this module. :)

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

I dare say that the F-5E is the best plane available. It is as easy to fly and fight in as an F-86 and P-51, but has performance and easy to use radar almost as good as an F-16A. I am a huge MiG-21 fan and the DCS module does it justice, but the F-5E looks and flies great without compromising frame rates. The payware Nellis campaigns are a great way to enjoy it, too.

If any DCS aircraft module is better, it is the F/A-18... which is really a derivative of the F-5! The carrier ops are a nice plus, but the F/A-18 is way more complicated (like the A-10C), so you really can't beat the simplicity of the F-5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wouldn't say the F5 is the best but It's a useful aircraft to have in your stable. I've had years of fun with the A10c and appreciate the full modelling of all the systems.

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

It's also a great A2G platform. Makes you work at getting the correct approach, roll in, and release to be accurate with the bombs.

Also loads of fun rippling off snakeyes from 150 ft at 400+ kts.

It can hold lots of ordinance given its size, but i wouldn't nessarily call it great AG platform. Once learned and Practiced, what you describe will basically always work when you are at a "target Range"

Not so much when your target is moving and then also having to Jink on final aproach to avoid SPAA tracers flying at your direction. Thats basically the end of your perfect attack run in a real world combat scenario. US discovered this the hard way in nam.

Thats why CCIp and CCRP became a thing and eventually guided muntions.

But dont Get me Wrong Its still FUn to use to both Roles especially if you use in an approrpiate era Cold war environment, and think from the perspective of " im flying a 3rd generation inexpensive lightweight fighter in an era of Mig21s etc, and Legacy air defenses, and I am Not an F/A18c"

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Agreed, CCIP and CCRP is something I got used to in the A10C, not having it in the F5 is a drag and rather discourages me from any serious AG action. It's a "purists" aeroplane though and I find myself flying it more than my new FA-18 at the moment, probably because I'm too lazy to learn all the systems... ;) at the moment...

I initially bought the L-39 which is an amazing platform to learn on. This was an AWESOME trainer plane for DCS and I now know every pixel, switches and strategies of that aircraft. It was a JOY to fly from A to Z. After few months, I outgrew it and was ready for something new.

My second plane was the F5 and I deeply LOVE that thing as well. Simple to fly and very effective when you get good with it ...and this ... without tons of sensors and electronic gadget. That plane feels real and sturdy.

I initially bought the L-39 which is an amazing platform to learn on. This was an AWESOME trainer plane for DCS and I now know every pixel, switches and strategies of that aircraft. It was a JOY to fly from A to Z. After few months, I outgrew it and was ready for something new.

Hello there,

I cant agre with you more :-) After L39, I started yesterday with Mig-15 and going by its historic development line back to SU-27/33 which I almost started with. Hope they will release Mig-19 before I am done with the Relic campaign. So far, its totally awesome plane as well. I would recommend it to you. Or the F86F if you are more to "opposite" side. But in Mig-15 you will mostly see the same as in L-39 at lower level techline. With L-39 I started to enjoy every single instument evolution in the Eastern airplanes, not just the airplane itself:-)

Regards

Edited by Wexler

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

Hi, I am thinking about buying this module "F5" but could you tell me if it comes with a good tutorial, I know there are loads on YouTube but watching a tutorial then trying to remember it is very difficult. Thanks for any help.

Comes with:

• F-5E. Cold Start, Taxiing and Takeoff
  • F-5E. Approach and Landing
  • F-5E. Flight and Radio Navigation
  • F-5E. Air-to-Air Missile Employment in MSL mode
  • F-5E. Air-to-Air Missile Employment in DM mode
  • F-5E. Engaging Aerial Targets using DG and A/A1 GUNS modes
  • F-5E. Engaging Aerial Targets using A/A2 GUNS mode
  • F-5E. Free-Fall Bombs
  • F-5E. Unguided Rockets and Guns
  • F-5E. Laser-guided bomb

Plus 6 instant action missions, for each of the 4 maps.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

That's great, thank you very much for your information and reply and I think that seals the deal, so to speak. I bought the Hawk and have been very disappointed with only ever 2 basic tutorials so I wanted to check that the F5 was well covered. Thank again.

I just had my first flight.

I started the mission editor and placed myself a couple of km's behind a Bear, over Groom Lake.

Without reading anything at all before or during this "mission", I managed to kill the Bear with guns and land safely on Groom Lake.

The only issue I had was that I could find neither the brake button nor the wheelbrake so I ran out of runway while landing. But I didn't crash so no problem... :music_whistling:

Anyway, this is such an easy to fly and operate aircraft, it's great! :pilotfly:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3