Period Radar - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Knock-Knock

+1
And the sites in place too. I know of this one and one around Cherbourg, in Normandy, and I think there was a radar station around Le Havre too?

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
xvii-Dietrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock-Knock View Post
+1
And the sites in place too. I know of this one and one around Cherbourg, in Normandy, and I think there was a radar station around Le Havre too?
You are right. There are several places that were radar sites in that area. Example (Funkmeßstellungen): https://www.geschichtsspuren.de/inde...sk=1&Itemid=63 Audeville, Saint-Valery-en-Caux, Cap Antifer, etc.

However, at the time of the DCS Map (July-August 1944), these sites had been abandoned or destroyed, with the main defence line sited further inland (e.g. there was a FREYA site at Creil).

This is why it is important that the radars are units and static objects, rather than map alterations. This lets the mission builders create sites appropriate to the dateline or the map, or some completely different era (incl. modern), if that's what is needed.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
Knock-Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvii-Dietrich View Post
You are right. There are several places that were radar sites in that area. Example (Funkmeßstellungen): https://www.geschichtsspuren.de/inde...sk=1&Itemid=63 Audeville, Saint-Valery-en-Caux, Cap Antifer, etc.

However, at the time of the DCS Map (July-August 1944), these sites had been abandoned or destroyed, with the main defence line sited further inland (e.g. there was a FREYA site at Creil).

This is why it is important that the radars are units and static objects, rather than map alterations. This lets the mission builders create sites appropriate to the dateline or the map, or some completely different era (incl. modern), if that's what is needed.
Indeed, as units. But with 'site' Im more referring to terrain/texture in place, like the naval defence site at Point du Hoc. In general I find Normandy map lacking with those details.

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:20 AM   #14
EAF51_Jimmi

Bump +1
EAF51_Jimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #15
rogonaut

+ 1 -> please
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
ACG_IronJockel

WW2 radar units has been requested a lot of times and not an single response so far.
Functionality doesn't have to been that different from the modern one. Adjustments on detection range / altitude and correct radio calls can be added later. (It's not like much effort has been done in that area anyway)

That would give the game so much more than a other T80 disguised as a WW2 tank. Plus the broken path finding (if existing at all?) on the Normandy map would not even matter.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
Evontroy

+1
Evontroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #18
Wunderwolf

+1
Wunderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote