Constant drops to Steam loading screen

Count Sessine

Hi guys

After one of the recent updates I'm getting lots of drop-out sessions where the game stops to load or whatever it is doing. It makes dogfights almost unplayable. I'm on a Samsung Odyssey WMD - but not sure thats the problem. Never had this before. Sure, I have suffered from bad framerates but never drops like this. I have tried to apply the fix that someone mentioned in the big WMD discussion pinned on top of this forum but it did not help.

If anyone have a tip to alleviate it, please share :)

One of the steamVR updates turned on dynamic SS. It messed me up for a couple of days. You have to go into the steamVR settings and set it to 100% and check the manual box to turn it off. I found that adding an additional 16Gb of memory helped considerably.

It still takes forever for a MP game to load though. I take off the Odyssey and put it on the mannequin head and Imgur for about 5 minutes while I wait.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I still get this problem very occasionally (few weeks ago it was terrible) but it only really happens on the first mission, I think its because certain animations or damage models lag the game the first time they appear. When I play now I load up a test mission where I start behind a plane and then shoot it down a couple of times. First time I get these horrible drops, but then after that no more drops (I tried it multiple times) and I am pretty much free to play. Its not an FPS problem I dont think, or a problem I can fix (see specs) the game itself just still has problems when things are getting loaded in. Like I say the more I play the less it happens. As an example on a heavy mission, as the mission loads up, there will be a big drop to the steam loading screen. After that however when I die and reload this never happens, unless I quit the game and load it up again.

Its not my computers problem just tht DCS is losing too many frames in certain situations. Not sure this happens on the rift, as its only steam VR that seems to stupidly flash the user out of the game. Devs will need to work on this and fix it, but compared to a few weeks ago, it is so much better than it was, and I can kind of live with it for now.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I still get this problem very occasionally (few weeks ago it was terrible) but it only really happens on the first mission, I think its because certain animations or damage models lag the game the first time they appear. When I play now I load up a test mission where I start behind a plane and then shoot it down a couple of times. First time I get these horrible drops, but then after that no more drops (I tried it multiple times) and I am pretty much free to play. Its not an FPS problem I dont think, or a problem I can fix (see specs) the game itself just still has problems when things are getting loaded in. Like I say the more I play the less it happens. As an example on a heavy mission, as the mission loads up, there will be a big drop to the steam loading screen. After that however when I die and reload this never happens, unless I quit the game and load it up again.

Its not my computers problem just tht DCS is losing too many frames in certain situations. Not sure this happens on the rift, as its only steam VR that seems to stupidly flash the user out of the game. Devs will need to work on this and fix it, but compared to a few weeks ago, it is so much better than it was, and I can kind of live with it for now.

Can't say I have ever seen this in the Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Have you ever seen it using steam VR with the other sim Dburne? Its very annoying and immersion breaking, but in the rift I think I heard another rift user say such drops manifest in another manner. It happens not due to low fps, but because of losing alot of frames suddenly. Still it's not really steam VR's fault (although I loathe their stupid method of dealing with it/motion sickness) and happens because of occasional perforamnce drops with the game itself.

Have you updated DCS to the most recent beta OP. Mine was unplayable a few weeks ago whereas now its a rather minor problem especially after playing for a while.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Have you ever seen it using steam VR with the other sim Dburne? Its very annoying and immersion breaking, but in the rift I think I heard another rift user say such drops manifest in another manner. It happens not due to low fps, but because of losing alot of frames suddenly. Still it's not really steam VR's fault (although I loathe their stupid method of dealing with it/motion sickness) and happens because of occasional perforamnce drops with the game itself.

Have you updated DCS to the most recent beta OP. Mine was unplayable a few weeks ago whereas now its a rather minor problem especially after playing for a while.

I have seen it in that other one, but it was very rare and the last time was quite some time ago.

Yes I am running the latest Open Beta of DCS, my performance is ok and has remained the same for some time now - really not noticed any difference in versions lately in that department.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have seen it in that other one, but it was very rare and the last time was quite some time ago.

Yes I am running the latest Open Beta of DCS, my performance is ok and has remained the same for some time now - really not noticed any difference in versions lately in that department.

Worst thing is I dont know if its something I can fix, or a VIVE problem. But theres alot about this online (vive users), and it only happens durring large fps drops which are not really something I can do anything about.

So what happens in the Rift when you lose a lot of frames suddenly, does the game just stutter? To be honest most of the time its just a slight stutter that you can easily miss (the basestation flashes in the top right of the screen) but if it's really bad it can take you out of game (but its more of a flash). The other sim campaign mode has some missions that do this, but I'm not sure how often it happens, it seems to be specific missions. I think its on missions with alot of bombers or something but not sure...

A few weeks back with DCS every time my plane was hit I had these flashes. It only happened with certain planes in combat I should point out, specific modules.There is a thread on this forum about it but it was reported by 2D users (and some VR) as 'stutters' I'll dig it up if I get time.

It might also be something to do with steams version of ASW

Edited by Wolf8312

------------