NEW Oculus and question on stutter

Turnip

Got my Oculus up and running.

Two things that bother me:

#1. Screen Door effect. I have read TONS on this and know that it is what it is, it's there so what are the key ways to lessen its effect. and more importantly

#2. While in the cockpit, when I move my head, it is very choppy. Not fluid. I have made one adjustment after another, watch tube vids and it is still very low frame rate.

Any ideas guys?

Got my Oculus up and running.

Two things that bother me:

#1. Screen Door effect. I have read TONS on this and know that it is what it is, it's there so what are the key ways to lessen its effect. and more importantly

#2. While in the cockpit, when I move my head, it is very choppy. Not fluid. I have made one adjustment after another, watch tube vids and it is still very low frame rate.

Any ideas guys?

1, I don't notice this at all really. The DK1, now that really did have a screen door. In summary, you brain will dial it out.

2, could be tracking. Check your environment. Could be too high settings. Dial the GFX back until you get it smooth. Assuming your hardware is up to task of course.

I didn't notice this yesterday. It was probably because it was new but now it just wigs my brain out. Let me ask you, how blurry are the buildings around you. While flying thru the Persion Gulf, the buildings are extemly garbled.

I didn't notice this yesterday. It was probably because it was new but now it just wigs my brain out. Let me ask you, how blurry are the buildings around you. While flying thru the Persion Gulf, the buildings are extemly garbled.

Yes, the resolution sucks. This has been covered ad nauseum pretty much everywhere at this point. It is the primary tradeoff of VR.

Well, in my infinite wisdom I looked at the plugs on the computer and noticed that I had put the Oculus in a USB 2.0 slot. That fixed a lot of my issues. Still got some stuttering in the cockpit tho

What hardware are you running? If you want any decent answers you need to tell people what hardware you're running, what your Pixel Density is set to, and what your DCS settings are.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Here's my specs and settings

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System Manufacturer: ASUS

System Model: All Series

BIOS: 2306 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Display Memory: 20398 MB

Dedicated Memory: 4043 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Drivers up to date.

DCS SETTINGS:

Textures: HIGH

Terrain Textures: Low

Civ Traffic: Off

Water: Medium

Vis range: LOW

Heat: off

Shadows: Medium

Res: 1920X1080

Asp: 1.777777777778

Monitors: 1

Res cockpit display: 512

MSAA: Off

DOF: Off

Lens Eff: None

Motion Blur: Off

SSAA: Off

Clutter: 750

Trees: 50%

Preload Rad: 99000

Chimney: 0

Gamma 2.2

Anis Filter: 2.0

Terr Shadows: Off

Cockpit Global: Off

Rain: Off

4 Boxes: Unchecked

VR:

PD 1.5

Use Mouse: CHECKED

Curser confined to window: CHECKED

Use Hand Controllers: Unchecked

Force IPD: 63.5

Use Built In audio: Checked.

Turn shadows off. All of them.

No Pixel Density

You can crank the anistropic filter up some ( it is not so big a hit).

Trees and clutter about a third of way up from bottom.

Textures to Medium.

See how you make out with that. With no MSAA and no PD going to be somewhat rough, but see if it is smooth.

If it is smooth enough for you, try adding back in say 2x MSAA, it helps. Keep Pixel Density off or at 0.

I also notice you mention 8 cores, I assume you are talking about hyperthreading which gives you 4 virtual cores in addition to your 4 physical cores. Games don't see any benefit from that, and sometimes it can be a bit of hindrance. If you are familiar with working in your bios settings, I suggest disable hyperthreading and see if that helps any also.

Do not make any graphics settings in Nvidia Control Panel, they will not work in VR. Do however go in and set to " prefer maximum performance".

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have the same GPU and unfortunately it's at the minimum for VR .. I'd suggest lowering the PD to 1.2, and bind on the Hotas the following commands:

recenter_VR_Headset

toggle_VR_Zoom

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Why no pixel density?

See if you can get it smooth first, once there you can try adding a little PD back in at a time and test.

Try it with ASW off and see what kind of fps you are getting.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

OK, Changing the nVidia Control Panel option to PERFORMANCE from Quality seems to have done the trick. I am now smooth. Now I can start bring up the other settings for eye candy. VR is definitely blurry and low res but man, talk about being in the cockpit. Holy Cow! I did bring up the Anis Filtering to 8X, dropped the trees down and the textures to Medium also. Thanks gents for the help.

OK, Changing the nVidia Control Panel option to PERFORMANCE from Quality seems to have done the trick. I am now smooth. Now I can start bring up the other settings for eye candy. VR is definitely blurry and low res but man, talk about being in the cockpit. Holy Cow! I did bring up the Anis Filtering to 8X, dropped the trees down and the textures to Medium also. Thanks gents for the help.

:thumbup:

Have fun and keep tweaking a little at a time, you will eventually settle in on what is best for your system.

Enjoy!!

Don B

Thanks again folks. While this isn't the resolution of 2D, you can't beat the first look of the cockpit dash when you 1st get in there. Holy Batshit batman! I did my first loop over the Stennis with my head tilted back. UNBELIEVABLE. Can you imagine what it will be in 20 years ( when I'm dead)