The usability of the FA/18C cockpit - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
TechRoss

Yeah the Bug cockpit is fantastic. I picked up the Harrier on the sale, and although they are very very similar, even just having t look around the UFC to see the MDFs feels very wrong.
TechRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
Svsmokey

What makes the Hornet my favorite aircraft (for the last 20+ years) is the aircraft/pilot interface . It just works naturally for me somehow . Flew F-16s in the usual suspects for years and still like the Hornet much better . Having it in DCS is a dream come true .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
quinncidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele6 View Post
Have any of you just sat back and appreciated how user friendly the F/A 18C is compared to a steam gauge cockpit or older generation combat aircraft? Is it just me, being a millennial that finds the UFC and DDI’s revolutionary, simple and intuitive.

In the A10C for example, to change the radio channel we have to look down, find the right switches, rotate them, etc, now, in the F18, we just select the radio, enter into the frequency we want and enter it in! pronto! Same for Tacan, in front of us.
Two things.
First, a huge reason for the uncluttered cockpit is FADEC. Engine instrumentation takes up a lot of cockpit real estate on non-FADEC aircraft (obviously the A-10 is a prime example).
Second, as a minor defense of the Hog, a lot of the ‘looking around’ required inside the cockpit is a direct result of this being a computer simulation. You’ll notice on the A-10, as an example, that all the switches and dials are different shapes. Irl, once you’ve learned the layout you actually don’t have to look at the consoles much at all. We don’t have tactile feedback (yet!) so we have to look every time. While this makes it more difficult for us, I’d argue that proficient real life pilots can do things like change radio freqs with similar speed between the A-10 and F-18.

Last edited by quinncidence; 01-11-2019 at 06:27 PM.
quinncidence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #14
Eaglewings

A lot of metal hardwork must have gone into her conception and design.
I am so glad the Hornet is getting matured gradually with more advanced features like data link, MIDS/L-16, TWS and others promised to be fused in soon.
The Hornet would stay as my carrier based aircraft should other eventually join my list.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinncidence View Post
Two things.
First, a huge reason for the uncluttered cockpit is FADEC. Engine instrumentation takes up a lot of cockpit real estate on non-FADEC aircraft (obviously the A-10 is a prime example).
Second, as a minor defense of the Hog, a lot of the ‘looking around’ required inside the cockpit is a direct result of this being a computer simulation. You’ll notice on the A-10, as an example, that all the switches and dials are different shapes. Irl, once you’ve learned the layout you actually don’t have to look at the consoles much at all. We don’t have tactile feedback (yet???) so we have to look every time. While this makes it more difficult for us, I’d argue that proficient real life pilots can do things like change radio freqs with similar speed between the A-10 and F-18.
Good points
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #16
Deezle

I disagree. The Hornet cockpit is great, don't get me wrong, but the ability to do so much directly from the HOTAS in the Hog trumps having the radios on the UFC.

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" MFD monitor, TIR5, Rift CV1

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, MFG Graphite Crosswind Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Custom Transducer
Deezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #17
TechRoss

Setup your HOTAS nicely, build a switch box and you never have to look for switches. Only ever touch the mouse for UFC (which I am building a desktop version of and Comms menu.

The Bug is so nicely thought out, I have spare switches and buttons to use on my setup.
TechRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #18
majapahit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRoss View Post
Setup your HOTAS nicely, build a switch box and you never have to look for switches. Only ever touch the mouse for UFC (which I am building a desktop version of and Comms menu.

The Bug is so nicely thought out, I have spare switches and buttons to use on my setup.
I use VoiceAttack (10$)
(VA can make appear the cursor in the center of the VR googles view and then I run a 4 way button for the VR UI mouseclicks).

I say "right MAP" from the default right DDI FCS which changes to HSI on the right DDI, I say "Tacan ON" which switches TACAN on, I say "7","4","UPC ENTER" to set the TACAN channel (unless its channel 1), I say "TACAN right" which pushes OBS 5 for TACAN on the HSI, I say 'course' which makes VA hold the course button 1.8 seconds to make the course line appear in the HSI and sets the UPC to CSEL select, I say UPC numbers like f.i. "3","0","4" for the course and then say "UPC ENTER".

Et voila courseline 304.

I do the same for ILS.

How 'bout them apples.
Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 16GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 40" 1080p TV | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen | VR googles
majapahit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #19
Svsmokey

Been giving a lot of thought to upcoming VR switch in Hornet . I'm seeing mice with 12 extra buttons on Amazon that should work very well for UFC . Considering adding some voice commands to my Vaicom pro installation as well , and a couple of Cougar MFD's .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #20
Tenkom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
Been giving a lot of thought to upcoming VR switch in Hornet . I'm seeing mice with 12 extra buttons on Amazon that should work very well for UFC . Considering adding some voice commands to my Vaicom pro installation as well , and a couple of Cougar MFD's .
What about something like this?
https://www.multicom.no/razer-tartar...ource=kelkoono
Tenkom is offline   Reply With Quote