BL755 for AV-8B/NA - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
DmitriKozlowsky

Default BL755 for AV-8B/NA

British and international variants of HarrierII were cleared to use BL755. Jane's and Wiki on BL755 are unclear if American Boeing variant of HarrierII, was cleared to use this weapon. I tend to believe that as NATO munition, AV-8BNA could carry it as our Allies in Europe and MidEast stockpile this munition. I know we have the glorious MK20, but variety is spice of life. ED's modeling of weapon effects of CBU-family of munitions leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when used from A-10C. I watch the weapons fall, burst, sub-munition detonations among BTR-80 or SP artillery, sparks all over the place, nice eye-candy, and target vehicle undamaged. Not to mention that CBU family of munitions is not available as a store in DCS: AV-8B/NA. Just MK20 Rockeye.
In DCS: Mig-21bis has BL755 as munition for little Fishbed.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
kengou

The Harrier we have seems to be a USMC Harrier and I don't believe we use any non-US munitions on the Harrier. My money would be on this not happening, I'm afraid.
kengou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
al531246

The GR.7/9 could certainly carry it which means the AV-8B almost certainly could.

However, it's not a weapon used by the US Marines or by the USA in general. Therefore I very much doubt we'll see it on the AV-8B in game and rightly so.
Windows 10
Asus P8H61-MX MoBo
8GB RAM
250 GB Samsung 850 SSD
2TB Seagate SSHD
Some cool LED fans that light up
[/spoiler]
al531246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
drPhibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriKozlowsky View Post
I tend to believe that as NATO munition, AV-8BNA could carry it as our Allies in Europe and MidEast stockpile this munition.

There is a difference between being able to mount something on a wing pylon and being able to use it. The suspension lugs are most likely compatible with the regular mk80-series layout that pretty much all free fall bombs use these days, but with different aerodynamic and ballistic paremeters, actually using it would require extensive certification work and upgrades to the avionics. Traditionally, the US has designed their aircraft and systems for equipment they actually use, not what they might find in a warehouse somewhere.

TL;DR: no BL755 on the AV-8B.
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Lordzarj

Agreed there is no place for the BL755 on the AV-8B NA.

There are some pretty big differences with the the GR.7/9 and I suspect software/wiring differences were not insignificant.

The GR could carry Sniper XR and TERMA pods on the belly gun pod stations for example had the Zeus ECM suite, always fitted the outrigger pylons and also commonly used British 540lb dumb bombs, Brimstone and CRV-7 rocket pods.

I would love to see all of this in game but we need a GR.7 or 9 which RAZBAM have said previously they would do if they can get the info.
Lordzarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
joey45
Veteran

The reason why the Mig-21 has the BL755 is because some countries that flew the Mig-21 also used the BL755.

The AV-8 has never used the BL755.

I did try to add the bombs but it disabled the module.
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
New boats and buildings uploaded.. Mach loop mission uploaded.
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
Blaze1

During Desert Storm, U.S. BUFF crew enjoyed dropping British 1000lb bombs which isn't a weapon in the U.S. arsenal. In any event, the forged steel casing of the british bombs offered better penetration than the Mk82s, M117s etc.
Blaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
joey45
Veteran

Interesting.
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
New boats and buildings uploaded.. Mach loop mission uploaded.
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
stuart666

Yes, ive a book on NATO air weapons that confirms that. I also think it says Jaguars (Or was it Tornado's?) used Mk20's for high altitude attacks, for which they were better optimised than BL755.

Id like to see a Harrier with BL755. But I have to admit, I cant think of a single occasion they have actually used them, which is what you would need to do to be able to make a case I would assume. Blame the USMC for lack of foresight.
stuart666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
Shadow_1stVFW

Excuse me while I shoehorn this roughly off topic in here. But if we are going to have this discussion let's go back to a weapon system that was enthusiastically adopted by the service and put into use practically immediately.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...arrier-423724/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift
Shadow_1stVFW is offline   Reply With Quote