Why am I finding it so hard to fly the F5E? - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #11
pmiceli
Junior Member
 
pmiceli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post
I'll freely admit the answer is probably..."its hard...and you're a DCS noob"
But more seriously, purchased the F5E Module in the Christmas Sale as a sort of "lead-in" trainer to the more advanced Combat Aircraft I want to fly...(I already have the A10C and the AV8B mouldering little used on my hard-drive)


I thought the F5 with its "steam instruments" and lack of FBW/FLCS would instill some good basics/foundations to set me up for the more "systems" based flying of contemporary Aircraft...


Anyway, long story short - all i'm currently doing is firing up Free-Flight and trying to trim for level flightconstant speed at different speeds and altitudes...and also trying to sit in formation with the "Lead" Aircraft in the scenario...


Trimming for level flight seems very difficult...not helped by the "button" type trim...doesn't seem to be a way of mapping it to a slider or dial axis for analogue trim control...so a click up gives a climb...a click down gives a descent (rinse and report in increments) likewise the throttle lag makes a steady speed or position in formation very hard to attain...oh and the classic "use your leads wings as a horizon" use rudder for lateral movements seems tough becuase easing off the rudder always seems to cause the nose to "baloon" back to its original position...


I know we're talking real basic flight...but any tips for smooth co-ordinated flight and formations in this deceptively awkward little plain...


I've not even moved onto turns yet!
The best place to start is the equipment you are interfacing with. The F5 requires a light touch. Your problems could be as simple as a short joystick. I fly with the longest extension on my Warthog and find the F5 to be a wonderful airplane. Without the extension it would be miserable.
__________________
www.475FG.com
Member Forum: http://www.satansangels.activeboard.com/

pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #12
Zoomer
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Munster, Ireland
Posts: 128
Default

A short stick is fine for the F-5. Set your trim to your hat on your stick and just make your gradual trim adjustments, left,right,up, down etc. On taking off just raise your nose wheel to max and trim up according to your loadout weight. It`s simple and straight forward, the F-5 is actually a nice aircraft for steady flight. The F/A-18 is even more of a doddle.
If you are short on buttons, consider using a modifier button.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #13
Tiger-II
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 63
Default

The F-5 is my favorite! Add curve for sure (what stick do you use)?

Only add enough dead zone to eliminate unwanted inputs at center. You want it to respond only to positive force.

Trim so it is wanting to pitch nose-down at center, then hold in a bit of back-pressure to compensate. It won't trim out perfectly.

Remember that as soon as your speed changes, it will want re-trimming. It will become second-nature after a while.

If you're able to, remove the spring from your stick and replace it with a weak spring. The spring actually makes it harder to fly.
__________________
Intel 80386 with 80387 Math Co-Processor | 16 Mb | Color VGA
"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.
Tiger-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
pmiceli
Junior Member
 
pmiceli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
A short stick is fine for the F-5. Set your trim to your hat on your stick and just make your gradual trim adjustments, left,right,up, down etc. On taking off just raise your nose wheel to max and trim up according to your loadout weight. It`s simple and straight forward, the F-5 is actually a nice aircraft for steady flight. The F/A-18 is even more of a doddle.
If you are short on buttons, consider using a modifier button.
Using trim to compensate for a short joystick is a poor idea at best.
__________________
www.475FG.com
Member Forum: http://www.satansangels.activeboard.com/

pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
pmiceli
Junior Member
 
pmiceli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-II View Post
The F-5 is my favorite! Add curve for sure (what stick do you use)?

Only add enough dead zone to eliminate unwanted inputs at center. You want it to respond only to positive force.

Trim so it is wanting to pitch nose-down at center, then hold in a bit of back-pressure to compensate. It won't trim out perfectly.

Remember that as soon as your speed changes, it will want re-trimming. It will become second-nature after a while.

If you're able to, remove the spring from your stick and replace it with a weak spring. The spring actually makes it harder to fly.
Everything you say here is true for the most part if one absolutely cannot add a stick extension.

An extension is a better choice if at all possible because it it gives much finer control without to resorting to unnatural curves AND an extension automatically reduces the spring resistance in direct proportion to its length.

Which is why I suggested he start with his interface.

Can the joystick be extended? If yes, do that first and see how it behaves.
__________________
www.475FG.com
Member Forum: http://www.satansangels.activeboard.com/

pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #16
000rick000
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 398
Default

Can these extensions be purchased for a reasonable price?
__________________
Cheers,

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut
000rick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #17
Zoomer
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Munster, Ireland
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiceli View Post
Using trim to compensate for a short joystick is a poor idea at best.
What`s this compensation for a short stick. The majority use a short/standard stick when playing dcs. An aircraft has to be trimmed regardless. One has nothing to do with the other. Now for aiming/fine tuning targets, a longer throw will give finer adjustments on the fly. But in relation to trim and having the aircraft fly straight & level w/o inputs just use trim as per usual. It`s not rocket science.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
pmiceli
Junior Member
 
pmiceli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
What`s this compensation for a short stick. The majority use a short/standard stick when playing dcs. An aircraft has to be trimmed regardless. One has nothing to do with the other. Now for aiming/fine tuning targets, a longer throw will give finer adjustments on the fly. But in relation to trim and having the aircraft fly straight & level w/o inputs just use trim as per usual. It`s not rocket science.
Its possible we have a wee bit of a language barrier.

On re-reading your post I think you have said "Before takeoff, hike the nose strut and then set the pitch trim according to the aircraft publications".

On first reading I thought you were saying "On takeoff, rotate the nose and then use the pitch trim to fly it after that"

And I had no clue what a doddle might be until I googled it.

In any case, a stick extension makes online flying MUCH easier. I flew with a MSSWPP for 19 years before I got an extended Warthog. I know of which I speak.
__________________
www.475FG.com
Member Forum: http://www.satansangels.activeboard.com/

pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #19
pmiceli
Junior Member
 
pmiceli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
Can these extensions be purchased for a reasonable price?
Depends on your definition of reasonable.

Lots of people hand craft their own if you are inclined

80€ plus shipping for the one I use. I consider it worth every penny.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj....-cm-extension/




__________________
www.475FG.com
Member Forum: http://www.satansangels.activeboard.com/

pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #20
Zoomer
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Munster, Ireland
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiceli View Post
Its possible we have a wee bit of a language barrier.

On re-reading your post I think you have said "Before takeoff, hike the nose strut and then set the pitch trim according to the aircraft publications".

On first reading I thought you were saying "On takeoff, rotate the nose and then use the pitch trim to fly it after that"

And I had no clue what a doddle might be until I googled it.

In any case, a stick extension makes online flying MUCH easier. I flew with a MSSWPP for 19 years before I got an extended Warthog. I know of which I speak.
I appreciate the language barrier. In fairness to you, you are doing quiet well if English is not your first language, in conversing in same. Regarding the long stick, yes it`s better for finer adjustment, especially for targeting etc. But if the initial poster is talking about smooth steady flight etc. then the aircraft just needs trimming. Once trimmed correctly for level flight, very little stick input is required.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:11 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.