Rift S and pilot hands

DangerMouse

Hello,

Wondering how other people are handling the pilot hands with the Rift S. I usually put the controllers in my lap so that I can easily find them when I need to push buttons/flick switches etc. However, that introduces a problem for me. When I check 6, or otherwise turn my head away from the controllers, the Rift loses them, and plasters them randomly in my current field of view. It's like trying to dogfight while being slapped in the face with a glove. It limits my view greatly. The only way to solve this is to look down at the controllers until they are "seen" again.

Does anyone else have this issue? Has anyone come up with a way to solve it? I would think that if you were able to set a number of seconds after the rift loses sight of the controllers before it starts guessing where they are would work. Is there such an option?

I love using the hands but found it can be somewhat burdensome as well. Best I have come up with is using the tethers and then having rubber bands on my forearms to secure them from bouncing into my HOTAS and damaging either products.

Seems to be working as a quick fix but at times gets caught up in the rubber bands when I need them back in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I put them on the table, one beside the stick and one the throttle (left and right hands). I haven’t had any issues with the Rift S losing them that way.

On a bit of a side note, did you notice that during guardian setup in the pass through, your (actual) hands showed up all white, as if the cameras were recognizing they were your hands?

I’m wondering if they are working on native hand tracking... that would be a game changer!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I have a small pillow on my lap and put them on that. Rift S does not lose them there. One thing I can't do however is arm the ejection seat. After a few unexpected ejections from picking up the controller in my lap (and it pulling the ejection handle) I fly with it unarmed now.

I have a small pillow on my lap and put them on that. Rift S does not lose them there. One thing I can't do however is arm the ejection seat. After a few unexpected ejections from picking up the controller in my lap (and it pulling the ejection handle) I fly with it unarmed now.

Must have been quite a shock the first time it happened :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Premature ejectulation

Premature ejectulation

:megalol::megalol::megalol:

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

:joystick:

So even when you are checking your 6 for a prolonged amount of time, say trying to shake someone off, if the controllers are on a pillow on your lap or on the table next to your controllers you don’t have virtual hands slapping you in the face?

What we really need is hand tracking (Leap Motion) or tracked gloves.

There's a huge number of us who aren't about to give up our HOTAS etc. to use VR hand controllers instead. We need a solution that lets us naturally transition from hands on the controls, to flipping imaginary switches.

It seems so obvious that I don't understand why it hasn't been fully realized yet, except for FlyInside for civil sims.

Captogloves for DCS were looking really promising, but then they went dark on the topic about a year ago as near as I can tell. I emailed them and never got a reply.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

There's a huge number of us who aren't about to give up our HOTAS etc. to use VR hand controllers instead. We need a solution that lets us naturally transition from hands on the controls, to flipping imaginary switches.

It seems so obvious that I don't understand why it hasn't been fully realized yet, except for FlyInside for civil sims.

Captogloves for DCS were looking really promising, but then they went dark on the topic about a year ago as near as I can tell. I emailed them and never got a reply.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

Seems promising!

Only ever use vr controllers for systems navigation, all DCS input so much more easily managed using a trackball\mouse.

As for Captoglove, It's not so much about DCS going dark as it is I haven't seen anything from them for over a year now.

And then even at best they would have been $3-400 peripheral that would need custom implementation in every single game.

That's just simply never going to be applied so you would be left with basic wand emulation.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

We are not talking about replacing HOTAS with VR controllers.

We are talking about the similar scenario as any VR user has with their mouse, you need to loosen grip from your throttle or stick to grab a pointing device.

The difference is that VR controller is superior to mouse by adding huge amount of immersion, something that no one really experience until used those for an hour. And it is as well faster as you really get the muscle memory that where the buttons and switches are in the cockpit.

Grabbing a controller on your lap is easier than grabbing even a trackball tied to your thigh.

The downsides are the few:

- The virtual hands still has infinite long laser beams to click things around cockpit without really requiring to extend arm. Hopefully this would be shortened to about 5 cm so you need to move hand closer to click things.

- Unnatural/difficult to do a right click. To perform a right click, you need to rotate controller over the 12'clock axis to otherside, like a "palm up". When the green laser turns blue and trigger now is right click. That should be two buttons on controller, Left and Right by pressing A / B or X / Y. Not trigger.

- No way to disable the touch control, meaning if you move virtual hand finger near something that can be clicked, it gets clicked. So sudden jettison, canopy blow up etc are not so rare in the begin.

Wags mentioned in the interview (the podcast one etc) that they are working with a few VR glove companies. So we need to see what those can do and provide.

That is what the "new pointing device" guy did, made a ring to finger that has couple buttons for left/right click and it acts like a mouse pointer, but requires a additional sensor attached to the VR HMD.

I would be happy to see the future version of that. A single finger tip IR LED that is tracked as the pointer in the space via VR sensors. And let me then even just point things as finger and have in Stick/Throttle a one button that I can press to change that pointer to become right click or other button as mouse wheel.

I don't need anything else than 3D space mouse pointer for both fingers without thinking it when using HOTAS.

This is why I fly with left hand controller only on palm, as it doesn't drop as it is between throttle and stick (center mounted). But those couple flaws (right click etc) are that is still downside, but better than any other mouse.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

hands will always be an issue with tracked controllers.

im hoping that captoglove will save the day.

other than that, VR controllers are cumbersome in DCS level aircraft.

lol one of my non gamer friends who tried the A10C accidentally tripped fire extinguishers trying to use the in game UFC....

WHERE ARE YOU CAPTOGLOVE!!!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

hands will always be an issue with tracked controllers.

im hoping that captoglove will save the day.

other than that, VR controllers are cumbersome in DCS level aircraft.

lol one of my non gamer friends who tried the A10C accidentally tripped fire extinguishers trying to use the in game UFC....

WHERE ARE YOU CAPTOGLOVE!!!

Have you looked at this thread. May be an alternative until Captoglove comes out: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3955763#post3955763

There needs to be a device standard similar to the capto gloves. If I was wearing a glove that tracked my hand and finger positions to the same degree the touch controller do... and the in-game pilot body followed that rather than having floating ghost hands, I would be pretty happy. As it stands now, I don't ever use the touch controllers except when I have to. They eat batteries and get in the way of my flying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't even know you could use the rift controllers in DCS lol.

I have the mouse mapped to the unused hat switch on my warthog stick.

Up and Down are mapped to right click and left click.

Left and Right are mapped to scroll up and scroll down.

So all I do is look in the general direction of the switch/knob/lever I want to interact with, hit right on the hat to wake up the mouse courser, adjust my view onto the desired element then either us up/down to flip switches, down to press buttons and left/right to turn dials/knobs.

A properly captured 3d hand(s) would be amazing, but considering the cost and vaporware status of attempts like captoglove, I am not holding my breath.

edit: obviously this only works in aircraft like the hornet where I have a surplus hat switch, but I spent most of my time in the hornet so it suits my purposes for now.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Now that they are experimenting with allowing the rift controllers to manipulate both the stick and throttle in the TF-51D simultaneously (and maybe all the older warbirds?), I still hope they will allow two buttons or switches to be held at the same time, which is needed for both the TF-51D and hornet start-up sequences.

To my surprise, I was able to land (poorly) completely HOTAS-free, just using the controllers and my pedals, with no other peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc). It's a cool novelty, but ultimately, I don't think the controllers will be able to replace a true HOTAS.

I personally find using the controllers to be more immersive than using the mouse for non-HOTAS functionas, but in the end, I suspect we will need a glove-type solution that you can wear comfortably without imparing HOTAS use.

I don’t use them. I simply set 4 keys, bound to my warthog with simply one modifier (red pinky button) then use the TMS 4 way for the left/right buttons and the scroll up and down (like the mouse).

Just point your head where you want and click. Lovely. Only a few minor inconveniences (like turning TCN volume up left hip area) can sometimes test your agility but also a track pad with a Velcro strap around your leg works well - again with limitations and pros. I always have a Bluetooth 10key affixed to my right left for quick scratchpad inputs on A10C and F/A-18C. That one is super handy imo.

Doesn’t the Rift S have the augmented reality feature? Can’t you just “see your hands if so?” Sorry if I misinterpreted that feature or info

Cheers

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t use them. I simply set 4 keys, bound to my warthog with simply one modifier (red pinky button) then use the TMS 4 way for the left/right buttons and the scroll up and down (like the mouse).

Just point your head where you want and click. Lovely. Only a few minor inconveniences (like turning TCN volume up left hip area) can sometimes test your agility but also a track pad with a Velcro strap around your leg works well - again with limitations and pros. I always have a Bluetooth 10key affixed to my right left for quick scratchpad inputs on A10C and F/A-18C. That one is super handy imo.

Doesn’t the Rift S have the augmented reality feature? Can’t you just “see your hands if so?” Sorry if I misinterpreted that feature or info

Cheers

The Rift S has a pass through feature, just shows you your environment rather than game image or Oculus Home. Pretty grainy, hard to make out any details.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It’s frustrating because a dude I fly with has the original rift with sensors. It never loses track of the controllers because of the way it does it’s sensors. THe index shouldn't have this issue either.

Controller tracking in the Rift S is much improved in the latest 1.39 Public Test Channel update.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|