The 50% question!

pagadi-zaiet

Someone made a big mistake when they announced such a huge performance increase.

Large projects have a huge probability of not hitting exact deadline, just a fact of life, so thats one reason not to make such an impressive announcement.

And 50% increase? With such a diverse array of different hardware setups?

I cannot imagine a scenario where the "50%" mark is hit by a large enough proportion of people to make the statement justified in any way.

Thats even if a 50% increase is even possible.

Like what is the software doing now? Chewing biscuits? A claim of 50% improvement just says to me that whatever implementation they have now is hilariously poorly done. Its either that or 50% is not achievable. Or that there is something fundamental about pixels and processors that I have missed - which is admittedly not impossible, but would have to be something very surprising.

Honestly I think it would be healthiest if we all just forgot about this alleged VR enhancement, this way we might be pleasantly surprised, and not "almost certainly disappointed, and maybe REALLY disappointed"

(Like at the moment, I get poor FPS with a Vive Pro, but if you compared the number of pixels (ONE eye has more pixels than my monitor...) being pushed, its not far off reasonable actually. Where is a 50% performance hike going to come from? A magic spell on my GPU?)

Have I totally misread this?

Edited by p1t1o

@P1T10 - I think your estimation may be too harsh. There are A SH*T TON of moving parts for a sim like this. I suspect they found either extra processing being done inefficiently, or realized there was a better way to render stuff. I think I remember a post about having some extra unneeded processing steps in the engine.

At any rate, this is crazy complex and I for one and grateful they found some of the inefficiencies to repair. Who knows if we will get 50% - I'll take whatever they can provide in a stable fashion.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

According to Wags, they found some key changes and optimizations they could make to their terrain rendering engine that resulted in these increased framerates. See here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3869786#post3869786

While I agree that 50% across the board for everyone may be a bit much to ask for, we are also not in a position to know exactly what changes they are able to make. So until this code is released, we simply will have to wait and see what we get.

Wags said essentially the same thing in this follow-on post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3878143#post3878143

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Is the 50% improvement stated as being specifically for VR?

I could sooner buy that an improvement across the board is possible before one that just affects VR.

I think my main gripe is that it is such a bold claim, 50% is a lot, and the more "moving parts" there are, frankly, the unliklier the claim becomes.

When was the last time a claim like that panned out?

I'll wait and see what happens

Is the 50% improvement stated as being specifically for VR?

I could sooner buy that an improvement across the board is possible before one that just affects VR.

I think my main gripe is that it is such a bold claim, 50% is a lot, and the more "moving parts" there are, frankly, the unliklier the claim becomes.

When was the last time a claim like that panned out?

I'll wait and see what happens

No it was not stated VR only, but was posted by Wags in the VR sub-forum regarding performance.

Hopefully it will benefit 2d as well, but no official statement that I have seen on that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@p1t1o - man I hear ya. What we don't know is what the actual problem is that is causing the performance issue. I re read what MadMatt posted -@MadMatt thank you btw, and still really have no clue on what issue they found other than it is somewhere in how DCS renders the map data to the 3d world.

With shaders and other things, it is not improbable at all to optimize and get big performance boosts on performance.

I am working with another user testing out the max mission stuff and found that if you put ~600 objects flying or moving around, performance across the board tanks. If you look in my signature you will see I am running high end. Looking at the performance data nothing on my rig is maxed. CPU ~20 percent with all cores averaging >10%; GPU >40% with less than 8GB used in VRAM; Memory ~16GB used. I still averaged less than 24FPS.

Bottom line, there is a lot more that can be optimized. The only question is when will it be done? :D

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Honestly I think it would be healthiest if we all just forgot about this alleged VR enhancement, this way we might be pleasantly surprised, and not "almost certainly disappointed, and maybe REALLY disappointed"

I agree. I will be happy to see a slight improvement and I think the mistake was to put an actual percentage on that (i groaned when I read that) as a benchmark. A lot of people will take that figure and use it literally to mark how disappointed they are going to be.

Way to many factors to take into consideration.

The 50% question!

i’m sure they achieved 50% or even 100% improvement in their test scenarios with their test hardware.

but how that translates to a mom and pop game room with all varieties of OS installs, patches and shoddy drivers is anyone’s guess.

sadly there is a sense of...we will do it later. An it`s not on really! Some proper info on this matter will be much appreciated!

Where does that sense come from? The latest info we have is that it was supposed to hit 1 Week ago but when merging the internal branch to the 2.5.5 branch something broke in the VR code and they were working on fixing it. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3938480#post3938480

Honestly I think it would be healthiest if we all just forgot about this alleged VR enhancement, [...]

What VR enhancement? ;)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

All ED's posts about that have always been labelled as "VR perfomrance" upgrade, never "no VR".

50% increase announcement is not necessarly risquy considering the panel of config. For exemple if they managed to only need 1 Drawcall to build the 2 Viewports of VR, instead of 2 Drawcall, then the increase will be the same % for everybody.

And considering this kind of "upgrade" is specific to VR performance, this won't do anything out of VR.

But this VR performance upgrade is multiple things (Wags said) so it might use "tricks" that will work out of VR (for exemple shadders ?). But 50% is stated for VR only.

Thats even if a 50% increase is even possible.

Well, they managed to reduce my FPS by 50% when they introduced deferred rendering, so hope springs eternal.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals