DCS and Pimax

Wags

ED needs to hire a couple of good Graphic engineers. ED, why don't optimize your ****ing code?

There is no way to “optimize” graphics for VR. Running a game in 3D at a high frame rate will always be more demanding than in 2D. Therefore any improvement in performance by the game engine would just be utilized to make the 2D graphics better. You’re assuming the level of graphics will remain static so VR can catch up. But it will always be a moving target. Better performance will get eaten up by more objects, more detailed models, better shaders, deeper colors, RTX tracing etc. VR will always mean drawing every scene twice and always use more resources than 2D

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I did and it is pathetic ~35fps (max 40) in a 2080ti, too bad they need at least 45 fps to turn on the ASW, but ED needs to hire a couple of good Graphic engineers. ED, why don't optimize your ****ing code?

Got a primax on preorder. What are you graphics settings? I may cancel if DCS is unplayable now.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Let's agree to disagree, there's a lot to do regarding optimization of the engine to perform better in VR environment. Wags has stated multiple times that the team was already working on it and that we should see improvement in the future.

Other sims as demanding as DCS run way better because they went all the way for VR adoption. We'll have to wait some more time to benefit from the work being done by ED but we'll eventually get there.

I want to believe

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I'd settle for enough to enable flat terrain shadows....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I did and it is pathetic ~35fps (max 40) in a 2080ti, too bad they need at least 45 fps to turn on the ASW, but ED needs to hire a couple of good Graphic engineers. ED, why don't optimize your ****ing code?

Did you try the modes in the PiTool with the lower refresh rates? There should be modes for 72Hz and 64Hz (5K+). If I do understand it right, 32 fps would be good to go, if you select the 64Hz-mode?

I, too, have a Pimax (5k+), but don`t have time to test it at the moment.

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Patience is a good thing. But fact remains DCS is by far the less performant flight sim, in VR, on the market.

A polite reminder is not untimely.

:)

That is not true...x plane is way worse then dcs if not the worst

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Did you try the modes in the PiTool with the lower refresh rates? There should be modes for 72Hz and 64Hz (5K+). If i do understand it right, 32 fps would be good to go, if you select the 64Hz-mode?

I, too, have a Pimax (5k+), but don`t have time to test it at the moment.

I think they temporarily took the download link for that version down, guess they are working on some bugs.

I have to wonder if DCS's PD setting and the pimax one are "conflicting"? Like if you set them both to 1.0 is that essentially setting it to 2.0? Or should they both be 1.0? With that I struggled with my 1080ti to get over 40 fps.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

There is no way to “optimize” graphics for VR. Running a game in 3D at a high frame rate will always be more demanding than in 2D. Therefore any improvement in performance by the game engine would just be utilized to make the 2D graphics better. You’re assuming the level of graphics will remain static so VR can catch up. But it will always be a moving target. Better performance will get eaten up by more objects, more detailed models, better shaders, deeper colors, RTX tracing etc. VR will always mean drawing every scene twice and always use more resources than 2D

Shader's mod would tell you that there is a LOT of room to optimize DCS for a better VR experience. But again, I understand, better than most, what it means to prioritize the roadmap to make the biggest top and bottom line impact.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Shader's mod would tell you that there is a LOT of room to optimize DCS for a better VR experience. But again, I understand, better than most, what it means to prioritize the roadmap to make the biggest top and bottom line impact.

I know it works for some people, but not everyone is a fan of that mod. Personally, I see no improvement in performance, and a lot of visual degradations.

I don't use it, and I believe that it suits mid-power systems, but shows little benefit at the higher end.

As we all know, ED are working on improvements to VR, and I'm sure they will be a big step forward from the compromise that is the Shaders Mod.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Patience, Wags has already stated it is on the list of things they are working on.

Just have to wait, we are on ED's time here...

:smilewink:

In other words, maybe in 2020 boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Wonder how Heatblur optimized their textures for VR so there’s zero need for MSAA in VR then?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Wonder how Heatblur optimized their textures for VR so there’s zero need for MSAA in VR then?

How could you have antialiasing off and not have everything look like a jagged mess?

Or run supersampling? Which is more costly than MSAA

Changing textures has nothing to do with AA

I get it that VR players are so blown away by the VR experience that they are satisfied with extremely sub par graphics. But AA is pretty essential to making graphics nice.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

DCS and Pimax

How could you have antialiasing off and not have everything look like a jagged mess?

Or run supersampling? Which is more costly than MSAA

Changing textures has nothing to do with AA

I get it that VR players are so blown away by the VR experience that they are satisfied with extremely sub par graphics. But AA is pretty essential to making graphics nice.

Dunno, ask Heatblur and their testers...

hsr66sb.jpg

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Dunno, ask Heatblur and their testers...

hsr66sb.jpg

I doubt this is as good an effect as it’s being portrayed. AA is a really basic setting needed to prevent graphics from looking jagged. Especially if you are looking “close up” to the screen resolution they way VR headsets do. Any game running without AA looks terrible, even on a small monitor. The above just says MSAA is off. What about pixel density or SSAA? Those accomplish much the same effect but are more demanding to run. The author is likely running those.

Multi Sample AA enhances edges and not necessarily textures. So having it on or off might not affect those.

Even at 2160p I run with at least 2xAA in most games or higher just to keep a smooth picture.

Edited by SharpeXB

I doubt this is as good an effect as it’s being portrayed. AA is a really basic setting needed to prevent graphics from looking jagged. Especially if you are looking “close up” to the screen resolution they way VR headsets do. Any game running without AA looks terrible, even on a small monitor. The above just says MSAA is off. What about pixel density or SSAA? Those accomplish much the same effect but are more demanding to run. The author is likely running those.

Multi Sample AA enhances edges and not necessarily textures. So having it on or off might not affect those.

Even at 2160p I run with at least 2xAA in most games or higher just to keep a smooth picture.

Jabbers doesn’t use SSAA in VR for obvious reasons, but he does have a > 1 PD. He uses that same > 1 PD with all other modules, so that is a null variable. All else equal, he sees a ton of shimmer in other modules and next to no shimmer in the Tomcat.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Jabbers doesn’t use SSAA in VR for obvious reasons, but he does have a > 1 PD. He uses that same > 1 PD with all other modules, so that is a null variable. All else equal, he sees a ton of shimmer in other modules and next to no shimmer in the Tomcat.

Well VR players tolerate graphics that most other people would find unacceptable. Games look horrible without antialiasing.

Pixel Density and Super Sampling are the same thing so, no you shouldn’t run both.

Edited by SharpeXB

Well VR players tolerate graphics that most other people would find unacceptable. Games look horrible without antialiasing.

Pixel Density and Super Sampling are the same thing so, no you shouldn’t run both.

Probably best to have actual experience in VR with specific game being discussed before passing judgement...

I doubt you have flown the F 14 with any VR headset. Jabbers has.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For the same reason why 2D players tolerate not having true immersion. :D

It really depends on what you find more appealing. Being in the cockpit, or having an incredible 4K picture to look at.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

For the same reason why 2D players tolerate not having true immersion. :D

It really depends on what you find more appealing. Being in the cockpit, or having an incredible 4K picture to look at.

:thumbup:

No way could I ever go back to 2d.

And yes, obviously I have actually used both.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Probably best to have actual experience in VR with specific game being discussed before passing judgement...

I doubt you have flown the F 14 with any VR headset. Jabbers has.

I’ve tried the Oculus Rift so I know what it’s like. I can’t imagine playing a flight sim with it. It’s like wearing a blurry scuba mask.

If VR is going to succeed in gaming, it will have to provide both. Incredible high resolution picture and immersion.

Thus far the market has chosen incredible 4K picture quality.

Edited by SharpeXB

I’ve tried the Oculus Rift so I know what it’s like. I can’t imagine playing a flight sim with it. It’s like wearing a blurry scuba mask.

So then you have not tried it with a flight sim. But you have put one on and know it is not for you. Ok cool.

I have used mine for there ain't no telling how many hours now, over 2 years on almost a daily basis.

You realize I am sure many have and are enjoying it very much... not sure what your point here is.

VR is not for you, no problem.

You realize this thread is a DCS with Pimax discussion thread.

Edited by dburne

Don B

If VR is going to succeed in gaming,

You've been saying this for how long now?

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself.

Just sayin...

:smilewink:

Edited by dburne

Don B

If VR is going to succeed in gaming, it will have to provide both. Incredible high resolution picture and immersion.

Thus far the market has chosen incredible 4K picture quality.

Please do stay on topic. This thread isnt about the rift or VRs current or future place in the market. If you have info on the pimax please share it.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet