RB 75 problem

Xxx

Just installed 2.5 and most impressed...lovely!

However I can't get the RB 75 off the rail?

As an electro optical (Mavrick) stand off weapon that's claimed to lock on to vehicles, buildings and hardened silos, I can achieve a lock on vehicles only. After going trigger unsafe, I can't get the missile to fire. Even lowering range to 2 clicks, the missile won't launch.

Also the collimated sight looks worse in 2.5, it's image is very bright.

Anyone else having problems or is this just my hamfisted flying?

Cheers.

Edited by Accipiter
Typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Maybe you are using an incompatible loadout? ... the Rb75 should be used only by themselves, never with another A-G weapon on the remaining pylons.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Maybe you are using an incompatible loadout? ... the Rb75 should be used only by themselves, never with another A-G weapon on the remaining pylons.

Well you can use them together with the Gunpods but that is the only exception.

Just installed 2.5 and most impressed...lovely!

However I can't get the RB 75 off the rail?

As an electro optical (Mavrick) stand off weapon that's claimed to lock on to vehicles, buildings and hardened silos, I can achieve a lock on vehicles only. After going trigger unsafe, I can't get the missile to fire. Even lowering range to 2 clicks, the missile won't launch.

Also the collimated sight looks worse in 2.5, it's image is very bright.

Anyone else having problems or is this just my hamfisted flying?

Cheers.

I have never had any issue with the RB 75 in 2.5.

What is your launch procedure with the RB 75?

It should be Uncage slew to target lock on target then fire (Unsafe can be done at any time)

Then cycle the Safety to select next missile.

And are you sure the missile is locked onto something before you try to launch (as no lock means no launch).

Edited by mattebubben

Well you can use them together with the Gunpods but that is the only exception.

I haven't tried that combination, since it isnt on the manual's list:

62jddGq.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I haven't tried that combination, since it isnt on the manual's list:

62jddGq.jpg

The gunpod can be used together with both the RB 75 and the RB 05A

and they are the only exception to the no mixing rule.

Here is an example that shows the RB 05A + Akan combo.

37vapenalt.jpg

And since the RB 75 used the same weapon selector positions

(both on the cockpit and external panels) anything that can be carried with the RB 05 can also be carried with the 75.

And the 75/Akan mix is something i use pretty often and it works well

(you can even go with 3x RB 75 and 1x gunpod though that causes the recoil when shooting the gunpod to be asymmetric though its easy enough to compensate)

The gunpod can be used together with both the RB 75 and the RB 05A

and they are the only exception to the no mixing rule.

Here is an example that shows the RB 05A + Akan combo.

Thanks for the Chart, it certainly looks more official than mine (taken from the DCS manual) ... I will certainly try some of these loadouts on future missions :)

(you can even go with 3x RB 75 and 1x gunpod though that causes the recoil when shooting the gunpod to be asymmetric though its easy enough to compensate)

Actually, I'm used to flying with asymetric loads, since often I exchange a weapon for one Chaff Pod ... the rudder trim helps with this, or the autopilot.

Thanks again, its a pleasure to still be learning new things about this aircraft.

Cheers!

Thanks for the help guys.

I am flying with gun pods as well.

My procedure is;

Nav to ANF

T0

Move cross hairs to Target

TV

(Good lock obtained)

Trigger to UNSAFE.

Trigger pressed and held.

I am not exactly over the "M" target waypoint, don't know if that matters? The targets were stationary BTR's.

Incidentally, has anyone locked and hit a building?

Thanks again.

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

where you are in relation to waypoints etc (or even if you have a waypoint)

does not matter when using the RB 75.

And When it comes to buildings.

You can lock buildings that are spawned in (added by mission creator)

and some others (airfield hangars etc) as buildings in DCS are treated differently.

Some are treated as structures / targets and others just as terrain and the latter you can not lock with the RB 75.

I just tried it myself and i have no problem locking and launching the RB 75 so i dont get where the problem is for you =P.

Simply spot the target

Press T1 to slew.

TV Fix to Lock

then launch

(with T0 to bring seeker back to boresight).

But since you can both see that screen and slew the target i dont think that is where the problem lies =P.

And you are sure that the weapons release button works?

(you have tried other weapons or checked in controls).

where you are in relation to waypoints etc (or even if you have a waypoint)

does not matter when using the RB 75.

And When it comes to buildings.

You can lock buildings that are spawned in (added by mission creator)

and some others (airfield hangars etc) as buildings in DCS are treated differently.

Some are treated as structures / targets and others just as terrain and the latter you can not lock with the RB 75.

I just tried it myself and i have no problem locking and launching the RB 75 so i dont get where the problem is for you =P.

Simply spot the target

Press T1 to slew.

TV Fix to Lock

then launch

(with T0 to bring seeker back to boresight).

But since you can both see that screen and slew the target i dont think that is where the problem lies =P.

And you are sure that the weapons release button works?

(you have tried other weapons or checked in controls).

Thanks again.

I got one missile off and scored a hit! But then went to repeat it with the starboard missile and the collimated sight would not come on?

I tried resetting for another attack but couldn't get the collimated sight on?

Gun pods worked great though.

Can you use both missiles?

Cheers

Yes, you certanly should be able to fire both ... on this practice mission I fired four to harboring ships:

i93H3k3RPa8

I make use of a snapview in order to have a bigger view of the collimated sight :)

Thanks again.

I got one missile off and scored a hit! But then went to repeat it with the starboard missile and the collimated sight would not come on?

I tried resetting for another attack but couldn't get the collimated sight on?

Gun pods worked great though.

Cheers

Did you remember to cycle the safety to switch to the next missile?

(Sefety off then on again).

And if that did not work for some reason

then try going Safe then nav and back to ANF or even changing the wep selector back and forth.

But cycling the safety should do the trick.

Question are you new to the AJS 37?

or old user that has taken a break from it?.

Did you remember to cycle the safety to switch to the next missile?

(Sefety off then on again).

And if that did not work for some reason

then try going Safe then nav and back to ANF or even changing the wep selector back and forth.

But cycling the safety should do the trick.

Question are you new to the AJS 37?

or old user that has taken a break from it?.

Spot on Matt! Thank you! It was cycling the safety.....:doh:

Also I noticed the weapon appears to lock without pressing "TV". Just moving the cross hairs to a "target" initiated a lock, which is nice and quick.

There are three RB 75's in the weapons loadout screen. Which do you find the best, or are they all the same?

Regards

David

There are three RB 75's in the weapons loadout screen. Which do you find the best, or are they all the same?

No, they are not the same, the Rb75T has a twice larger warhead (142 Kg vs 57 Kg) and is thus more effective against ships (can sink a transport with a single hit, a frigate usually needs at least two hits).

The other two variants (Rb75 & Rb75B) are similar to each other, the B is supossed to have a zoom on its lens, but I haven't really noticed any difference on the sight.

Spot on Matt! Thank you! It was cycling the safety.....:doh:

Also I noticed the weapon appears to lock without pressing "TV". Just moving the cross hairs to a "target" initiated a lock, which is nice and quick.

Regards

David

RB 75 is the Swedish Designation of the AGM-65A

and was the standard version in Swedish version.

RB 75T is based on the RB 75 but has a heavier warhead.

And the RB 75B is a fictional designation for the AGM-65B.

The B has an improved seeker that has a greater level of zoom which makes it easier to see / lock targets at greater range

(though it has a narrower FOV instead) Sweden never acquired the B though the AGM-65B would have been compatible with the AJ/AJS 37 as the it could carry the A.

(Sweden never acquired the B since at the time Sweden bought the maverick the AGM-65A was the only option and they were all delivered before the AGM-65B enterd service)

So in terms of ingame the RB 75 is standard.

75T if you want a bigger bang though at the expense of greater weight

(so either if you are attacking a larger target like a ship or bunker etc or if the targets are tightly grouped and you hope to hit several at once).

And the 75B if you want that level of zoom to spot targets at greater range.

One tip is also that you can mix the variants and the outer stations (underwing) will launch before the Chin stations so for example you could take the 75B on the outer stations to engage at range and then 75 or 75T on the inner stations when you get closer and have expended the 75Bs.

Edit:Rudel_chw beat me to it.

Edited by mattebubben

One tip is also that you can mix the variants and the outer stations (underwing) will launch before the Chin stations so for example you could take the 75B on the outer stations to engage at range and then 75 or 75T on the inner stations when you get closer and have expended the 75Bs.

Thanks a lot for the tip, didnt knew that. I will have to try the B again, since its been quite a while since the last time I used it ... I dont remember noticing a higher zoom, but will check it again to see if its different now. I usually use just the T model :)

As an electro optical (Mavrick) stand off weapon that's claimed to lock on to vehicles, buildings and hardened silos, I can achieve a lock on vehicles only.

That is the limitation AFAIK in DCS, that you can only lock on targets with unit ID, not to contrast.

DCS doesn't support a contrast based tracking, so we can't example so easily lock Shkval on airborn target, a ARBS on airborn target or Maveric to example a tree.

We should be able to lock on anything we want and if there is strong enough contrast, get it tracking correctly, if not then track is lost and we would still be able launch but lose the missile.

This would allow us as well to lock on destroyed targets etc that now are without ID, so no way to lock to them.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

That is the limitation AFAIK in DCS, that you can only lock on targets with unit ID, not to contrast.

DCS doesn't support a contrast based tracking, so we can't example so easily lock Shkval on airborn target, a ARBS on airborn target or Maveric to example a tree.

We should be able to lock on anything we want and if there is strong enough contrast, get it tracking correctly, if not then track is lost and we would still be able launch but lose the missile.

This would allow us as well to lock on destroyed targets etc that now are without ID, so no way to lock to them.

Years ago, when I studied the A10C, I recall a mode called force Correlate Track. You could shoot a H Mavrick through a window on a building with that method!

So seemingly the Viggen uses missiles that just use the "Centriod"track of which you speak?

Thanks all for a great discussion. That's what's great about DCS and these forums, you never stop learning and enhancing the enjoyment of the hobby.

Years ago, when I studied the A10C, I recall a mode called force Correlate Track. You could shoot a H Mavrick through a window on a building with that method!

So seemingly the Viggen uses missiles that just use the "Centriod"track of which you speak?

Thanks all for a great discussion. That's what's great about DCS and these forums, you never stop learning and enhancing the enjoyment of the hobby.

The one problem with DCS is that our seekers and targeting systems resolution is very too much high resolution, compared what we should have.

We can lock Mavericks from like 10x range that we really should be able to do.

Same with the IR seeker variants that we don't have the thermal simulation that renders them useless in deserts and other environments with higher temperature as those were more designed for night operations with clear thermal difference.

So our Viggen, harrier, a-10 etc are all flying way too long distances locking and launching them at targets.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.