What systems will the F/A-18C feature in Early Access? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
DanielNL

Question What systems will the F/A-18C feature in Early Access?

1a. So I thought I read that the F/A-18C radar can somehow "scan" the ground ahead for ground vehicles/detect/lock on to them?

1b. Or does that only work with some targeting pod?

2a. Is the F/A-18C targeting pod going to be in any way "better" (zoom?) than the DCS A-10C's targeting pod?

2b. Can we choose between more than one to equip?

2c. How many different targeting pods are being developed for the DCS F-18?)

3a. How will the DCS F/A-18C HMS + DCS AIM-9X combination compete vs. DCS MiG-29S HMS + DCS R-73 ?

3b. What are the angle limits of the F-18 HMS?

3c. in what terms are the DCS AIM-9X seeker (lock-angle? Flare resistance?) & propulsion-system (range?) better/worse than the R-73?

4. which laser guided bombs and how many (how many GBU-27 or -31 for example) of each type will the DCS F/A-18C be able to carry? (when having a targeting pod equipped)

5. what are the advantages of the DCS F/A-18C gonna be over the DCS M2000 ? (regarding everything, also wing design vs. delta wing design and RWR differences?)

Dell Visor WMR (still waiting for DCS compatiblity...), Ryzen 5 1600X, KFA2 GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

DynamicDCS Discord: www.ddcs.ml featuring:
ressource point system to spawn AWACS and tankers - Harrier - CTLD - EWR - GCI - JTAC - Artillery - ground unit persistence (saved) on server restarts
DanielNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
QuiGon
Veteran

0) Your're in the wrong forum. The Hornet has its own subforum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=557
It's also an ED module and not a Belsimtek module, although they did assist in the development.

1) The radar can do that. It has a ground mapping radar mode. This is an early screenshot (2+ years old) that shows it looks like:

2) We will get the AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod. It should be more or less comparable to the Warthogs Lightening TGP.

3) It will probably work pretty well.

4) See here for weapons: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=13

5) The Hornet will be better in pretty much everything except speed. It has better missiles, can operate from carriers and is a real multirole aircraft with great A-G capabilities.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 01-12-2018 at 10:43 PM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
will-

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=557

For most of your questions, WIP still.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
DanielNL

Thx 4 the link QuiGon!

Dell Visor WMR (still waiting for DCS compatiblity...), Ryzen 5 1600X, KFA2 GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

DynamicDCS Discord: www.ddcs.ml featuring:
ressource point system to spawn AWACS and tankers - Harrier - CTLD - EWR - GCI - JTAC - Artillery - ground unit persistence (saved) on server restarts
DanielNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #5
Kev2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
0) Your're in the wrong forum. The Hornet has its own subforum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=557
It's also an ED module and not a Belsimtek module, although they did assist in the development.

1) The radar can do that. It has a ground mapping radar mode. This is an early screenshot (2+ years old) that shows it looks like:

2) We will get the AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod. It should be more or less comparable to the Warthogs Lightening TGP.

3) It will probably work pretty well.

4) See here for weapons: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=13

5) The Hornet will be better in pretty much everything except speed. It has better missiles, can operate from carriers and is a real multirole aircraft with great A-G capabilities.
actually The Hornets radar mappng should be much Higher quality.

Whilst this is taken from the F15E Radar. the AGP73 utlized many AGP70 commonality and based on its technology. So SAR imaging qulaityshould be comparable between the two

When ED started the Hornet 2+ earlier years ago they initially had a post ODS but 90s model hornet with the earlier AN/APG73 Phase 1 radar, which A/G mapping still looked something akin 80s era radars like the earlier AN/APG 65 of F/A18A and Early C model hornets. ( like you see in screenshots.)

the Phase 2 Upgrades gives it SAR High resolution mapping.

Build:

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Nctua NH14S ),Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16gb ram (2400 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsing evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 01-13-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #6
Revelation

QuiGon answered some of your questions already. One thing to keep in mind is that the SS of the A/G Radar was based on the old APG-65 DBS; we should be getting the APG-73 with SAR imaging. This would result in a higher resolution image than what the SS shows. With that said ED has not gone into detail about the A/G Radar yet and we have to wait for any official word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNL View Post
1a. So I thought I read that the F/A-18C radar can somehow "scan" the ground ahead for ground vehicles/detect/lock on to them?
1b. Or does that only work with some targeting pod?
Yes, the A/G Radar will have several modes, one of those will be a GMT mode that tracks ground moving targets. The targeting pod is a separate sensor.

Quote:
2a. Is the F/A-18C targeting pod going to be in any way "better" (zoom?) than the DCS A-10C's targeting pod?

2b. Can we choose between more than one to equip?

2c. How many different targeting pods are being developed for the DCS F-18?)
The ATFLIR is just slightly less capable than the Lightning II.
Quote:
3a. How will the DCS F/A-18C HMS + DCS AIM-9X combination compete vs. DCS MiG-29S HMS + DCS R-73 ?
It will actually be a slight advantage.
Quote:
3b. What are the angle limits of the F-18 HMS?
The only one that I have read on the official unit is 90 degrees off bore axis. We have not received an official word from ED what the JHMCS will be capable of in-game.
Quote:
3c. in what terms are the DCS AIM-9X seeker (lock-angle? Flare resistance?) & propulsion-system (range?) better/worse than the R-73?
90 depress off of the bore axis. When it comes to the flare resistance we do not know to what extent it will be molded in-game.
Quote:
5. what are the advantages of the DCS F/A-18C gonna be over the DCS M2000 ? (regarding everything, also wing design vs. delta wing design and RWR differences?)
Way to many to mention...
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
probad+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
The ATFLIR is just slightly less capable than the Lightning II.
i wouldnt say that, atflir is a newer, more advanced unit with higher resolution than the litening ii.

Last edited by probad; 01-13-2018 at 12:46 AM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
i wouldnt say that, atflir is a newer, more advanced unit with higher resolution than the litening ii.
I vaguely remember the discussion back in the days and I could simply be remembering wrong. If I am wrong, even better!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #9
probad+
Posting Rights Suspended

caveat is that since the atflir is designed to track from higher altitudes, it's got even more of a drinking straw fov than the litening. litening will remain the better pod for the hog.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:11 AM   #10
ORANGELIMEKILLA

Does anyone know if we will receive the Lightening during early access while we wait for the Atflir? I believe it the lightening can be mounted but correct me if I’m wrong.

Modules I can't wait for (Wishlist)
F/A-18C, F-16(Block40+), Su-30, Su-24, F-15E, Tornado IDS
Oh-58D, Ah-1(W/Z)
Missile Flight Model Upgrade
ATC upgrade
Wing Vapor and Wingflex (on everything)
ORANGELIMEKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote